Obama Sworn In Today.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
Barack Obama gets sworn in as the new PRESIDENT of the USA today at 5 o'clock if anybody hadn't noticed. :eek: Full coverage on the BBC1 from 4pm.
There's a huge expectancy riding on this man both in the states and around the world. Despite all the hype what he achieves as President will have a profound effect on the UK so I would urge anyone in two minds to watch this historical event. The preliminary signs are good and the man's oratory can be electrifying but lets all hope that YES WE CAN doesn't turn out to be YES WE MIGHT HAVE DONE BUT DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES BEYOND OUR CONTROL--------------??
I'll be watching whatever and cheering him on.:rock:

I was really surprised to learn that he smokes cigarettes.

It just seems so at odds with the clean cut person that he presents himself to be.

I also wish him well but have a sneaking suspicion that he may not be all that we hope that he is.

He can smoke all he likes as long as he gets to grips with his new job, which I think he seems more than capable of.

We'll be watching in the office in a bit, its a major moment and it will affect all of us.

Things can only get better ;)

Ade

While vacationing this past summer I saw a shop (or is that "shoppe") selling t-shirts that read "1/20/2009 End of an Error"

Expectations are unattainably high for Obama but every bit of improvement will help. The past 8 years have been a mess.

It'll be interesting to see what Obama looks like in 4 years. The stress of a normal presidency seems to age a man about 20 years worth during one term. With the stress Obama will be under he'll likely age twice that.

It will be very hard for Obama to do worse than Bush. I am surprised that Bush is somehow of late being portrayed in the media as some sort of dignified statesman as he leaves office? My overriding feeling is of extreme anger at him and the stupid American electorate that voted him in twice.

A close second is my anger at Tony Blair for being his poodle. The recent awarding of medals to him by Bush was just vomit inducing.

I am sure the worst excesses and mistakes of the Bush era will now start to emerge slowly and also the real 'close relationship' between Bush and Blair will be seen for the farce it was. :mad:

My opinion is, is that I wouldn't trust myself with that sort of power, so why should I trust a complete stranger.......

Good luck to him....however... I am with Grober in wondering whether 'events' and 'circumstances' will prove too powerful and blunten what plans he may have. Time will tell as in all things

C'mon .... whatever we say about the US they do this kind of thing pretty well. It just wouldnt be british to be so inspired by one person and yes it might all come tumbling down but its a British fault to be pessimistic and an American one to be idealistic.

good luck to him and I for one am a little bit jealous of the US today.

I really couldn't give a toss.

Bush has caused so many problems that it will take more than 4 years of this bloke to sort it out.

And I do wish they would stop focussing on his colour - the only way to rid our world of racism is to stop it and focus on the man himself!

wonder what Obama said to Bush on the steps of the Capitol as the Bushes headed off...

yeah yeah ...whatever..enjoy your golf...

Laying it on the line.

He looked as if he knew all the weight of the world was on his shoulders as he walked along the corridor before taking the oath--which it was! Yup-- fluffed his lines-- altho the guy administering the oath didn't help. I bet there were lots of poignant tears and memories of Martin Luther King's address when Aretha sang "Let Freedom Ring" in her inimitable gospel style. And then there was his speech- You can't say he didn't lay it on the line- he told the citizens of the USA what was ahead and what they needed to do to ensure the future of their nation. I think they have elected a leader who can show them the way forward-whether they chose to take it is another matter. Lets hope so!:)

Watching live?

That is ONE UGLY car! :eek:

Are politics now allowed?

All I'll say that is I don't envy him one bit, I can't imagine a worse time to become a leader of a nation. He has a very tough job ahead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom