OBD scanner recommendation please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smiley

MB Enthusiast
I'm looking to buy a OBD scanner that will work across Mercedes, BMW, VAG and Toyota. I have seen a "Launch" system recommended. It is about 200 pounds direct from Launch in Plymouth but half that on ebay; I realise that the ebay ones are likely to be Chinese copies?
Any advice on this or other recommendations please; would prefer a complete reader rather than s/w to load on a PC.
Thanks a lot.

What is it you want to do, just read codes and reset them? If so, a cheap bluetooth dongle and the Torque app on an Android device will do that.

If you want to be able to do DPF regens and things like that you are into the more expensive equipment.

I'm looking to buy a OBD scanner that will work across Mercedes, BMW, VAG and Toyota. I have seen a "Launch" system recommended. It is about 200 pounds direct from Launch in Plymouth but half that on ebay; I realise that the ebay ones are likely to be Chinese copies?
Any advice on this or other recommendations please; would prefer a complete reader rather than s/w to load on a PC.
Thanks a lot.
To the best of my knowledge, for that kind of money ( 200 pounds) the scanner you get will not cover much beyond the very basics across several models. For what you are looking for, starting prices would be minimum 5-600 pounds. But you could be looking at a lot more easily, depends on what you intend to do with it.

I’ve just purchased this a few minutes ago after searching the forum

Although not this direct model, but for £185 they have one I think that covers more than one brand so it’s worth checking out. This particular one comes well recommended ~

Test

Edit- not sure why it says Test, but that is the link!

Thanks all; I've been thinking it would be useful for a while and today had an interesting challenge with a VAG air bag light. I will post a separate thread on the off chance that someone here may throw some light / idea on it.

I’ve just purchased this a few minutes ago after searching the forum

Although not this direct model, but for £185 they have one I think that covers more than one brand so it’s worth checking out. This particular one comes well recommended ~

Test

Edit- not sure why it says Test, but that is the link
This TEST links to the iCarsoft MB V2, and its Mercedes Benz specific. Very good OBD scanner, where Mercedes is concerned. I have the older model ( iCarsoft MB 11) and find it excellent, covers as much I need, and am comfortable using, and does not allow you to go where you can do damage !!! LOL . In the MB V2 version, there is a specific warning about the DPF usage...for professional use only! Good advice. Some of these scanners allow you not only access to very sensitive management areas in the system, but allow you to make changes. Definitely not for the amateur. iCarsoft make OBD scanners several different makes as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom