OBD2 Handheld recomendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joecash

Car
S320 CDI
Hi,
Grateful for some advice
I have an April 2004 E320 CDI Saloon car.
Firstly, is it OBD2 compliant?
Secondly, If it is what OBD2 machine would forum experts recomend
I see them on good old ebay for upwards of circa £20
I am "tight" but I'd rather spend a little more for one that will do the job like resetting fault codes and the main engine light
thanks once again
Joe

joecash said:
Hi,
Grateful for some advice
I have an April 2004 E320 CDI Saloon car.
Firstly, is it OBD2 compliant?
Secondly, If it is what OBD2 machine would forum experts recomend
I see them on good old ebay for upwards of circa £20
I am "tight" but I'd rather spend a little more for one that will do the job like resetting fault codes and the main engine light
thanks once again
Joe

Yes your car is ODB2 the socket is drivers side below the steering wheel just to the left of the bonnet release (if you are sitting in the drivers seat). All pretty much read the same basic engine codes but many cannot fix airbag, it really spends what you want to use it for as codes really don't tell you much. I have 2 a basic one in the car at all times and a more advanced PC based one that allows live data.

Hi SavMan,
Just need to read the codes and reset them if possible
and extinguish the yellowy red engine light
some of the time the engine light comes up its due to a connection problem or some such gremlin - its not intended to ignore a "real" problem.
It's just to avoid keep shelling out hard earned to have it put on star when there's no need.
Any recomend of a suitable device would be welcome
many thanks
Joe

I have had a mixed experience with the cheap one I have, as long as I catch the code while it is still a pending code (well before the engine light will come on) it will erase the code. If I wait until the engine light comes on it really depends on the code as to whether it will erase and extinguish.
What codes are you seeing?

not seeing any codes yet apart from the "engine" light staying on as havent bought an OBD2 machine yet. just looking for suggestions as i dont know anything about obd2 machines. trying to learn from the dreaded ebay adverts or mbclub experiences
Joe

If you are technically minded then I would suggest getting one with live data capability, if it won't mean anything to you then just get a basic one for £20 off eBay.

Savman,
thanks for the pointers - help is much appreciated - will get an ebay special and see what happens - thanks again

The prices should be dropping as well as replacement models have been released

I should also mention that the EU702 MB-specific functions are limited to MB cars made up to 2006-2008 (varies from model to model), something to keep in mind as owners of newer cars will not be able to use the MB-specific features with this particular model of Autel.

Purchased an Autel Maxiscan MS509 off ebay for £30 - Looks idiot proof so i should be ok!! will let you know - thanks for the help

This idiot got it to work - and the engine light is now off - trying to make sense of the code that reared its ugly head - car seems to be working ok and goes as sweet as a nut - hopefully its just a one off - still at £30 its already paid for itself.
thanks for the help from everyone
Joe

Thanks Joe just ordered one myself so hopefully I will be able to use it :thumb:

SL300,
nifty gadgets - doddle to operate, even for those who are a little brain dead like me - its in no way a "STAR" but it gives you a pointer - one use and it pays for itself - hopefully, i never have to use it again

Installed torque, a free app,on my nexus7 and purchased a cheap Bluetooth obd2 from eBay for under £12. It worked so well that I paid £2.95 for the paid version of torque.works well with my 05 C220 cdi.IMHO at £15 all in its a very cheap and use full tool.

haggis,
i'm from the stoneage so i'm just happy i've got an ordinary obd2 to work. i was born in the days of carburretors and "new" cars that were rusty in the showroom.

:) so was I! Renault used to do a nice line in new rusty cars, the 21 what an awful car(in my opinion) I also remember thinking that all this computer stuff on cars would mean the end of day repairs and tunning! Thankfully I'm discovering that I can still do a bit of day on cars( the cost of 1 diagnosis from mob dealers = the cost of obd2 and the nexus 7 it displays through,extra bonus that its sat nav,music player etc,etc. Only minus point to all this technology is that I realise I may need specs soon!! :)

hagis,
seems like you are holding up better than me, been wearing specs for years, had a stroke, but still got all my teeth!! much repaired. The brand new showroom rusty car I was offered was a white Austin Maxi bought Japanese instead.
Admittedly my OBD2 diagnosis was only generic. but at least when i talk to my indy perhaps he will think i'm not that thick - and in my own little mind mitigate the risk of being treated as too much of a mug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom