OBDII on 51plate 320 CLK conv

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Car
11 ml350 sport, clk320 convertible 51, tvr chimaera, Yamaha 1300xjr
Hi
New to Mercs but not to vehicle mechanics etc.
Got an OBDII reader that has saved a fortune for me in the past.
Its got the standard D type connector.
Can I use this on 2001 320 CLK conv and if so where is the interface on the car?
Read I may need a converter cable etc.?

I'm fairly certain it'll be a circular plug toward the rear l/h side of the engine compartment - probably under a plastic cover.

yep, passenger side corner of engine bay, a circular plastic plug.
Open it and the Merc circular interface is there.
Used converter cable to attach handheld OBDII reader as used on many other cars and get linking error.
So is there any cheap way to use the interface?
I thought it was compulsory for vehicles to have a 'standard' OBDII interface?

IF, and it's definitely a big IF, your car has the 'standard' D connector, it'll be under a flap just below the parking brake release, above your right shin when in the normal driving position.

I bought a cheap converter to go from the Merc 38 pin round connector to a standard 16pin OBD2 on a Snap On Solus Pro but no go, it doesn't recognise the car is switched on.
The converter only has 3 of 38 pins connected, I can't help but feel a £3k scanner needs some of the missing 35 pins input! The Snap On converter is £55 so I'm bracing my self for that when the time comes.
Perhaps the cheaper converters are fine with more limited code readers but not suitable for the more in depth scanners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom