Obesity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Obesity, whilst a seemingly simple problem, has many issues at its root. If you can solve it, I'm sure the government shall reward you richly.

Obesity, whilst a seemingly simple problem, has many issues at its root. If you can solve it, I'm sure the government shall reward you richly.
I can only think it’s because our lives are generally much less physically demanding than they were. Looking through old family photos of the 1950s, 60’s and 70’s it always strikes me that the average body fat ratio seemed to be about 10-15%. Certainly some of the food didn’t seem great - bread and dripping and use of lard etc. But then as an example my Grandad used to cycle 40 miles/day with all his plumbing tools on his bike. So it seems a high fat diet was more than offset by calorie expenditure. Speaking to my folks it also seems the working day was generally less up to the 1980’s (they are always moaning at me as I typically work a 10 hour day which they think is excessive!) so there was more time for leisure/exercise. So at the moment it looks like we have a perfect storm of less physically demanding work but longer hours, and plentiful cheap food?

If I could solve it I would.
My point was that I had not taken much notice of the level of obesity until the horse and greyhound thread. It genuinely surprised me. It seems that we as a society have come to terms with ,what I believe, is a serious problem. My comment on my observation in Skegvegas was perhaps ill judged but it was the impression that I was left with.
Just to add that I am no slim Adonis, at my time of life I am carrying a few extra pounds, but am a long way from obese.

I can only think it’s because our lives are generally much less physically demanding than they were. Looking through old family photos of the 1950s, 60’s and 70’s it always strikes me that the average body fat ratio seemed to be about 10-15%. Certainly some of the food didn’t seem great - bread and dripping and use of lard etc. But then as an example my Grandad used to cycle 40 miles/day with all his plumbing tools on his bike. So it seems a high fat diet was more than offset by calorie expenditure. Speaking to my folks it also seems the working day was generally less up to the 1980’s (they are always moaning at me as I typically work a 10 hour day which they think is excessive!) so there was more time for leisure/exercise. So at the moment it looks like we have a perfect storm of less physically demanding work but longer hours, and plentiful cheap food?
I think this has a lot to do with it.

It's amazing how many people have, within a generation, developed a glandular or genetic disorder. The real problem is we eat too much of the wrong stuff ( because it's relatively cheap and easily available) and don't do the physical exercise necessary to burn the calorific intake we are consuming.

And I've seen this happening during my travels. In the early 90's when I first started visiting Asia regularly there were a lot fewer fat people than there is now. There was a relatively simple equation. Poor people were lean and only the relatively wealthy could afford to grow portly. Economic growth coupled with an aping of Western diets (the growth of companies like McDonalds, KFC has been phenomenal) has really changed levels of obesity as more people have access to cheaper, carb laden food. Asian countries seem to love Italian food which can be carb heavy. So the problem is not unique to the UK, it's a worldwide phenomenon which only countries like North Korea have mostly escaped due to poverty, hard labour and starvation in many instances.

There is a lack of honesty about how we view obesity. I don't remember who said it in this thread but "your curves are gorgeous" ads are only telling people this because the obese make up a significant portion of the population(and rising) and companies want their money. We don't seem to be saying anything about the burdens obesity is putting on the health service that are preventable. These burdens might range from the size and strength of the beds that are supplied now compared to those from 70 years ago to the levels of diabetes; much of which was preventable.

We could do with some honesty and perhaps even shock tactics. Smoking is on the decline with many of the young shunning it. Perhaps we do need to making being fat, obese, overweight, portly or whatever label you want to give it socially unacceptable rather than accepting it as the new norm?

My comment on my observation in Skegvegas
We went to Skegness once as we were close by and couldn't help but notice the competition amongst the donut sellers. I think 10 for £1 was about the best we spotted on the prom, but it was a few years ago. Processed and fast foods are potentially deadly enemies and I sometimes wonder what additives/flavourings have addictive properties?

The film Wal E portrays the obesity of the human race through lifestyle.

Last edited:
Reactions: JHS
We went to Skegness once as we were close by and couldn't help but notice the competition amongst the donut sellers. I think 10 for £1 was about the best we spotted on the prom, but it was a few years ago. Processed and fast foods are potentially deadly enemies and I soetimes wonder what additives/flavourings have addictive properties?

The film Wal E portrays the obesity of the human race through lifestyle.
They are still there, part of the Skeg experience together with fish and chips @£5.80 a portion. They have now been joined by KFC and McD which always seem to have queues to the drive through.
I remember the days when the seaside was sand, candy floss and seafood stalls.
It seems that obesity is a gradual, creeping malaise that has passed unnoticed by most of us.
Just to add, there is a pub in Skeg where you can eat as much as you can. Home

Accept that, but did you see the flyball judges????
It is not just Crufts, I now see them everywhere, and it is not just adults. I was in Skegvegas today and the fat families must have been having their annual convention.
Not just a bit overweight either.
Skegness is hilarious

Never in my life have i seen so many fat people and disability scooter things.

It is getting worse. What i have noticed is younger people. Teenagers being fat, especially female.

Exercise for strength and fitness, which is important, but eat to be slim.

Western food choices have made us fat. We can blame the industry but it's our bodies.

Michael Moseley's doing a good programme precisely on this subject on Channel Four right at the moment.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/michael-mosley-who-made-britain-fatcr

Just for comparison, here's Crufts in 1988

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: JHS
Covid didn't help....Eh ? What ! I hear you cry.

Scores of take away places had no intention of providing home delivery until Covid hit. Big players like Mac and Burger king did not offer home delivery until then.

My local Chinese was restaurant eat in or collection only until Covid hit. Then it adapted full on delivery.

OK they did not force you to order but for many folk who never had that option and getting a BK or MacDo meant actually getting up and finding your way there all of a sudden found out just about anything would be bought to their front door.

Strangely (not) despite them all being open for sit down again they seem to all be keeping the home delivery in place .........

Covid didn't help....Eh ? What ! I hear you cry.

Scores of take away places had no intention of providing home delivery until Covid hit. Big players like Mac and Burger king did not offer home delivery until then.

My local Chinese was restaurant eat in or collection only until Covid hit. Then it adapted full on delivery.

OK they did not force you to order but for many folk who never had that option and getting a BK or MacDo meant actually getting up and finding your way there all of a sudden found out just about anything would be bought to their front door.

Strangely (not) despite them all being open for sit down again they seem to all be keeping the home delivery in place .........
People were fat before covid.....

High fat diet is not the problem, it is the high carb diet that is the problem.

Carbs are effectively sugar......

Low fat foods are a huge joke, they removed the fat making the food tasteless and added sugar to give it some taste.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really want to get involved with another contentious thread and I've also posted this before but worth repeating as a snapshot of modern life !

A few years back I had to go for a CT Scan. The bloke next to me was clearly Eastern European, was wearing Morrison utility services hi Viz and had a mashed up leg. The waiting room door opened and a exceedingly large couple rolled in on 2 mobility scooters. They could not have been over 30 years old, must have weighed at least 25 stone each, stank of fags and their scooters were loaded to the hilt with KFC and McDs bags. They chomped on the lot complaining about everything under the sun.

Then a hospital translator came in and started talking to the bloke next to me.

Now this really set them off, they started shouting out of look at that, foreigners that can't even talk English costing the NHS loads of money blah blah blah.

I know some disabilities are hidden but I'm 100 % sure in this case it was self inflicted greed that got them to be like they are. Then to mouth off a person who most likely was injured doing a tax paying job beggars belief. I bet they have never contributed anything in their whole entire lives.

It was lucky I got called in otherwise I really would could have lost it !

Happy days

Strange - watching the same show and thinking the same thing and commented that to my wife a few minutes ago. Be careful...I had a thread cancelled and a couple of posts cancelled (on the other forum) because of my view that fat people should pay more for plane tickets and clothes (and I include myself - I’m 6’2” and probably 10% overweight - I’m, a big unit) and no, I do not have a disease - I booze and eat too much & do not exercise enough --- all my own doing!

I was standing ringside at Crufts yesterday and there were two 'large' ladies sitting directly in front of me - they were occupying four seats as neither fitted onto a single one.

I know of people whose decision process for dinner/tea is centered around what takeaway they fancy having delivered! One even commented her Just Eat bill was over £160 one month. Think she was the same lady who complained bitterly when that extra benefit was cancelled. No doubt used her iPhone 12+ vExpensive to order....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom