Obsessive Research!

• Thread starter Deleted member 113659
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 113659

Does anyone else have this illness? You need something, instead of just buying it like you used to do, you go online, research, read reviews, ponder, compare prices, ponder again, wonder if to buy cheap or expensive?

I'm 3 days into detailed research for.................................a couple of effin 240v extension leads! YES, you heard right, extension leads!!! What the hell is wrong with me? just order them FFS. But no, I keep on searching, overthinking, doubting, convincing myself that there's better ones to be had than the ones I've seen. THEY'RE JUST EXTENSION LEADS Ant, order the bl00dy things. The internet has made me go mad with wondering if I'm making a bad/good choice. THEN you think you decided, but get talking to a mate via text/phone/WhatsApp and he then puts more doubt in your head by saying "Oh, I got this one, from such a place and its really good".

It's not just extension leads though, it's everything I buy. I must have wasted weeks of my life doing this. It's always on silly things too, never big items. I can order a car or van at the drop of a hat. The house we live in we made an offer an hour after viewing it.

Don't even get me started on Nespresso Coffee pods!!!

Is it just me? :doh:

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I find the same, you look at something and say 'OK that will do..' then you think 'I'll have a quick look on line...' and that is you ...fooked...dragged into a spiral of $hit all of you own doing.

Worse of all it's often over a trivial purchase like a set of paint brushes...or an extension lead. :doh:

Does anyone else have this illness? You need something, instead of just buying it like you used to do, you go online, research, read reviews, ponder, compare prices, ponder again, wonder if to buy cheap or expensive?

I'm 3 days into detailed research for.................................a couple of effin 240v extension leads! YES, you heard right, extension leads!!! What the hell is wrong with me? just order them FFS. But no, I keep on searching, overthinking, doubting, convincing myself that there's better ones to be had than the ones I've seen. THEY'RE JUST EXTENSION LEADS Ant, order the bl00dy things. The internet has made me go mad with wondering if I'm making a bad/good choice. THEN you think you decided, but get talking to a mate via text/phone/WhatsApp and he then puts more doubt in your head by saying "Oh, I got this one, from such a place and its really good".

It's not just extension leads though, it's everything I buy. I must have wasted weeks of my life doing this. It's always on silly things too, never big items. I can order a car or van at the drop of a hat. The house we live in we made an offer an hour after viewing it.

Are you for reel?

That's even better than Ted's 'white Astramax in the mirror'!

Just find the best value (not cheapest), check delivery time and carriage cost - then click Buy It Now and move on.
(Unless you're buying an inlet manifold gasket for a SBC and need to have the part number of the best one available after consulting all of the USA).

They are not just 240v extension leads! Will you need them to be switched or not, multiple outlets or just single, what colour wire, 6,10 or 13 amp, my god the list goes on :D :D

I used to do that,but this lockdown has got me out of that habit but I am watching films that I would not normally look at,this morning SWIMBO says we need one of those garden hoses that collapse on themselves and we need to buy a 175ft one and she found one on ebay,I just nod and say well 100 ft would be plenty,no she wants the bigger one so I buy it,no looking at ratings or if it comes from China or the moon.

I used to do that,but this lockdown has got me out of that habit but I am watching films that I would not normally look at,this morning SWIMBO says we need one of those garden hoses that collapse on themselves and we need to buy a 175ft one and she found one on ebay,I just nod and say well 100 ft would be plenty,no she wants the bigger one so I buy it,no looking at ratings or if it comes from China or the moon.
And it WILL break, they are carp. Where the hose fits (moulded) to the tap fitting part is a massive weak point on these, both my mother and mother in law have been through 2 of these each and EVERY time they order a new one they promise themselves they will not extend the hose to the max thereby putting strain on the joint...and every time they do just that and the hose splits where it is impossible to fix.

I have given up and just let them get on with it. :doh:

100% the same, I Also bought an extension cable last week and did exactly the same, spending hours checking it was the most optimal one. I wouldn’t change being like this though, but it does overlap with other mild OCD tendencies

I used to be more impulsive when I was younger but over the years, I've slowed down and I put more time and research into buying things.

Quite often I will find something better / more suitable etc. than the first thing I would have historically bought on a whim.

Also depends on the item. The more the cost, the greater the time investment. Not just that though - if you need something specific taking the time even if low value items.

Last time I wanted to buy an extension lead, I wanted a 6 way single-switched French one. I used to buy Masterplug ones but I couldn't find all that together and had to buy a Belkin one. Turns out the Belkin had a pair of USB ports too as well as the above... so had I been impulsive, I'd have bought not quite the right one.

If you don't buy the right thing and then find something else, you have the faff of sending something back or it not quite being right / doing what you wanted!

I've heard of people buying TVs before and literally "just buying one - they are all the same anyway".

That sentence fills me with dread!

I can remember the day's when you made your own extension leads. Now we have safety in mind and a massive choice, I have just bought the Plas Plug waterproof one for use with my Karcher. It is longer than I probably ever need and over the top for my current "no pun" needs. Then again I have tools in my ever increasing collection that I have never used.

Why do we do it ? Over researching,over buying,etc. I also over engineer stuff, show me a tool at a tenner and one at twenty quid and I will buy the one at twenty quid.

I do the same, have been researching a little bench polisher this week.

Gets worse when the Excel spreadsheet comes out to start listing options, wattage etc. for a comparison.

One thing i do find good is sticking things in my basket on Amazon (sold by Amazon) that I don't "really" need.
Amazing how these can start coming down in price each day. ;)

Information on anything and everything is just a mouse click away ... so it's the easiest thing in the world to just do an initial check before ordering. After that, it's just "one more" etc.

Also, being a Yorkie, I am genetically programmed to seek out the cheapest deal ... it drives the missus mad.

I used to travel miles in my youth driving round to save a ha'penny on a gallon of petrol.:wallbash:

I always research stuff ALOT. That way you buy once usually.

Funnily enough, we have about three extension leads that don’t work - because they are crap.

You usually get what you pay for, even with extension leads.

We have an above ground round pool, 15 ft. Three years ago I bought a heater 3kw (didn’t do much research) and it stays on almost 24/7 throughout the summer. This year I did a lot of research, and discovered that we could get a much better heater (increased pool temp 10 degrees in two days), and that it would almost pay for itself in electricity savings in one summer - next year we’ll save a fortune!

I used to be more impulsive when I was younger but over the years, I've slowed down and I put more time and research into buying things.

Quite often I will find something better / more suitable etc. than the first thing I would have historically bought on a whim.

Also depends on the item. The more the cost, the greater the time investment. Not just that though - if you need something specific taking the time even if low value items.

Last time I wanted to buy an extension lead, I wanted a 6 way single-switched French one. I used to buy Masterplug ones but I couldn't find all that together and had to buy a Belkin one. Turns out the Belkin had a pair of USB ports too as well as the above... so had I been impulsive, I'd have bought not quite the right one.

If you don't buy the right thing and then find something else, you have the faff of sending something back or it not quite being right / doing what you wanted!

I've heard of people buying TVs before and literally "just buying one - they are all the same anyway".

That sentence fills me with dread!

This ^^^^^ is an example. Thank you very much John, was just about ready to order a Masterplug but now researching Belkin.You bad bad man you!

( :) )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom