Occasional hesitation on drawing away when cold 2007 320 CDI E class wagon

Discussion in 'Engine' started by Baldbloke, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Baldbloke

Baldbloke Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E Class Estate 320CDI Elegance 2007 Non- ADS
    I've managed to avoid any garage visits for the last 60,000 miles by doing the necessary oil, filter and suspension work to date, but have an issue that occasionally occurs before the engine is fully up to temperature. It is the V6 engine by the way.
    I don't hammer the engine before it's fully warm, but do have to join a fast main road from a minor road with an appalling visibility splay. This is within three hundred yards of my house so the car is still effectively cold. I need a bit of acceleration to safely clear the junction. My motor has recently started to momentarily die and then recover. So it initially picks up, but then it's like the fuel has been abruptly shut off before picking up again. Not ideal as I don't particularly want to be broadsided.

Were I to take it to my nearest dealer it would be warm as it's 50 miles away, and the problem would not show up.

Any ideas where to start to look please?

2. GWhittell

GWhittell Member

Car:
    Viano 3.0 Cdi
    I’m not a mechanic but a keen DIYer but I think the consensus will be that there will most likely be a stored error code that needs to be read. Mercedes STAR has the best chance of giving a decent explanation but other code readers can get the MB specific codes. Your local MB dealer will have STAR.

Without knowing what errors are being logged I would say it’s a bit of a guessing game.

I would be checking

Connections to fuel ancillaries (I doubt the battery connections are loose as that would be very noticeable).

Connections to the various temperature sensors (of which there are many) as you mention its temperature related.

After those I would say you need the codes.

Sorry I can’t offer any better help (if you are near Leeds W.Yorks I can read the codes for you)

Best of luck!

07 Viano 3.0

Baldbloke likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Baldbloke

Car:
    Thanks for the reply. I have checked all the connections that I can see. You are probably right about needing to get the codes read but have issues with Aberdeen dealer who did a small job on the car pre-purchase and left the undertray unsecured. Anyone know what the Inverness dealer is like? Or of any one else in the Moray area who might have a suitable reader?

4. GWhittell

GWhittell Member

Car:
    Viano 3.0 Cdi
    I use the iCarSoft MB2, it’s saves me hundreds in diagnostic charges and is well worth the £130 I paid for it.

I think I got mine via Amazon and it came the next day.

If you do your own services I would recommend getting a reader as I have found loads of faults that doesn’t trip the EML.

07 Viano 3.0

Baldbloke likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Baldbloke

Car:
    I do have an iCarsoft for a Boxster, so that might be worth getting one for the Merc. However they sold me that Porshe one on the basis it could do airbag diagnosis which it can't so I'm a little wary of blowing £100 for something not up to it. Cheers

6. a111r

a111r Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S123 240TD, S210 320cdi, S202 250TD.
    An older iCarsoft i980 will be fine for a 2007 E Class.
    Last one I bought was only £40. £60 upwards was more the going rate.

Baldbloke likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Baldbloke

Car:
    I might well need to get the diagnostic tool as the rear air suspension has just deflated. I'll post a new thread and hopefully get everything sorted.