OCD and my SEC number plate screws

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bund

Car
560 SEC - W124 320 CAB
I thought my rear plate looked odd on my SEC, I dont think screw ends should be seen on the plate and as the mounts are not flush with the bodywork I cant see how i can use plate stickers so have to use screws, now I think it probably came with a plate holder but I'm struggling to find if thats 100% the case, really appreciate if someone has one to sell or could give me some other info like same part on the S class of the same era etc?

Surely you could just buy a plate holder (I use plain black ones made by Wurth) fix to car using the screw holes and then slot your plate in. Job done.

Surely you could just buy a plate holder (I use plain black ones made by Wurth) fix to car using the screw holes and then slot your plate in. Job done.

Yeah I bought a couple off Amazon but they dont look very good on the car, sits proud of the body work again due to fixing points and the black surrounds don't look very good against the grey paint. The plate and the surround tends to bow outwards so the edges bend out and the centre pushes in against the bodywork, just looks poor.

I have also in the past, used some of the adhesive pads. If you put the pads on each end of the plate, you will need at least two on each side, on top of each other (basically building it out) and attach the plate using that method, it should clear the mounting holes.
Apart from that, I for one, don't know what else to suggest.

I have also in the past, used some of the adhesive pads. If you put the pads on each end of the plate, you will need at least two on each side, on top of each other (basically building it out) and attach the plate using that method, it should clear the mounting holes.
Apart from that, I for one, don't know what else to suggest.

That’s a good shout thanks, Simple but could do the job, I’ll give it a try as I doubt I’ll find an original bracket for sale.

These were the ones I bought but I haven’t fitted to either of my cars. Perhaps they look better on black Cars? I’ve also bought the coloured plastic screws which I’m using at the moment, they look the best so far but does not look as clean as using adhesive stickers. I’ll try doubling them up.

You can get the sticky pads that are 6mm thick, this will be just enough to clear the height of the protruding standard fixings , or they were on my CLS.

Kenny

I actually used double sided tape on my E Class as if has those metal fittings. I just doubled up the tape until it was thick enough.

Worked well and been on over a year without issue.

A2RoXo2.jpg

A2RoXo2

Last edited by a moderator:
Good work, I’ve ordered some 6mm adhesive stickers. Going to swap the plates over once I get the go ahead from dvla.

I actually used double sided tape on my E Class as if has those metal fittings. I just doubled up the tape until it was thick enough.

Worked well and been on over a year without issue.

A2RoXo2
image not working for me Alex.

I do not have an issue with the front plate funnily, i think its because the screws are right on the corners and the plate holder is pretty curved so using adhesive stickers might need me to hang around for a bit holding it in place. I'll post some pics when all done.

You could probably get the original screws from a dealer. Nothing else seems to fit the mounts. The tape is a nightmare to get off if you have to replace the plate again!

See i have the original screws but not the metal frame which i imagine it came with.

Im currently using these which i cut down with pliers as the thread is the right width. They look ok.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00904MZQE/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

Also to remove the pads if you soak them in intensive tar remover they peel away after a few minutes no fuss.

Unless the SEC is different from other 80's/90's mercs, I don't think it would have had a frame. The screws just go through the plate into the mounts. Certainly that way on my 190 and 124's & 202's I've owned.

You might be right there but my W124 doesn't have proud screw mounts? It's hard to find consistent pictures. It will look better though once i can get the screws out and i think the standard "F" reg looks too long for it, it will look a lot better with a shorter plate.

Maybe you're right and they never had a plate in Europe. Mercedes-Benz W126 - Wikipedia

I bought a new 560 SEC badge to replace the old one but once i removed it I actually prefer it without. Will look Ace once I get the plates sorted.

Thanks for the help lads.

Got the plate on, going to use the car for our wedding in a few weeks but after that it’s going into storage or I’ll put it up for sale.

Attachments

• C6F648BD-6D0A-4661-9FA8-2D801B959587.jpeg
    C6F648BD-6D0A-4661-9FA8-2D801B959587.jpeg
    487.5 KB · Views: 20

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom