oct 99 250td - not tiptronic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paulfoel

just bought this and the auto gearbox seems to be the normal (i.e. 4,3,2,1, in a row) rather than tiptronic.

According to my info, all 250TD autos had tiptronic fitted from july 99. Although I guess mine could have been in storage for a few months before the original owner bought it.

Personally, its not a bother for me - whats the point in changing gear if you've got an automatic. Although I notice its easy to slip the stick from D to 4.

Will this affect the resale value of the car in the future? Are people really that bothered about tiptronic?

got the same on my May 99 C200.... (drat ! just missed out!)

No - seriously - I don't think its a big deal. Like you, I bought the auto so as to not have to change gear ! Pointless using the manual gear selection on it anyway - the kickdown selects the right gear for quick acceleration. I don't think it will affect your resale value... more of a gimmick really. (Other Tiptronic owners may disagree !!)

S.

As an owner of the old stlye D4321 auto box I would prefer the tiptronic for the following reason:

When approaching an overtaking opportunity I sometimes find the kickdown delay a little too long. I appreciate I probably couldn't manually change any quicker but I could tap the stick left quicker. That would be nice.

Tiptronic is a waste of time and i never use it. Its cool to play with for the first few days but looses its charm. Ive now had 4 cars with it.

Only advantage is that to put it into D its just right back till it won't go any further.:rolleyes:

Well I use mine nearly everyday! and I wouldn't want to be without it. I use it for changing down to 2nd or 3rd either at round abouts if I know I am going to accelerate hard off it, or driving on country roads or when overtaking. Around town or on a motorway I never use it.

I change down gear, but then when accelerating often just let it change up on its own (which it does before it hits the read line).

Has anybody had the transmission oil changed in their gearbox? Mine is due a service soon and as its approaching 90K I thought it might be a good idea.

Comments anyone?

My April 2000 C280 was still the conventional auto rather than Tiptronic, so I wouldn't worry too much - didn't hurt the private resale value of mine either (although Merc dealers did their best to give a bad price regardless of gearbox!).

Probably just comes down to the lack of experience I've had with the tiptronic boxes, but I actually prefer the old style. I agree with Simon that kickdown can take too long at times, but found that I could change gear to exactly the one that I wanted, rather than the gearbox deciding, faster with the manual than the tiptronic, although this was more pronounced with my C240 than the C280.
Guess I would have learnt in time with a tiptronic, but whenever I drove a tip I was glad to get back to the old style (ok, maybe not in the case of the C32AMG speedshift!)

ultimately, I guess there's not a lot between them.

I found that after a few months I instinctively knew how to use the gas pedal to make the tranny shift and it behaves exactly as I expect. I don't think the tiptronic type options make any improvement and are essentially a gimmick :)

Originally posted by GregE240
Has anybody had the transmission oil changed in their gearbox? Mine is due a service soon and as its approaching 90K I thought it might be a good idea.
Yours is probably a lifetime fill (like mine) so changing the oil would be pointless, according to MB. My previous car had done 137000 on the same oil and showed no problems with the transmission.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Shude
I found that after a few months I instinctively knew how to use the gas pedal to make the tranny shift and it behaves exactly as I expect. I don't think the tiptronic type options make any improvement and are essentially a gimmick :)

I agree, especially as it's the same box just a different shift gate.

Yours is probably a lifetime fill (like mine) so changing the oil would be pointless, according to MB. My previous car had done 137000 on the same oil and showed no problems with the transmission.

Can't say I agree here. The fluid is rated for 100k and i can assure you is filthy at 60k. After replacement my box was definately smoother on changes.
In addition the most common fault on the 722.6 box is sticking valves in the valve body.

Well, I am going to have mine changed at the next service.

Quite how MB have the gall to say it is fit for life is beyond me. Hydraulic fluid breaks down in time - simple as that.

I will report back when the time comes. At present the 722.6 'box in my car whines a bit and takes forever on downshifts.

George Fraser, IIRC is an advocate of regular fluid changes. Perhaps MB should wake up and smell the coffee, or do they want to charge REAL money to replace gearboxes that have failed?

Discuss!

Cheers,

Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom