Odd Head light problem c250

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marcust101

Car
Mercedes c250
Hi

My second post so please bear with me.

I have a 98 C250 running nicely but it has developed an odd problem with the headlights. Dipped beams work correctly but when I put on the full beam the right (drivers) side turns off entirely, both dip and full.

This happens most of the time, but occasionally everything works correctly. I have checked the bulbs, connectors and fuses and all looks well. Wiring seems dry and clean.

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

many thanks

Marcus

This sounds like a fault earth (brown wire). It could just be the bulb. Swap them over or replace to see.

Thanks Ted,

I'll try swapping bulbs then tracing and wiggling the earth wiring once the rain stops. I swears its like October in Ireland this week

cheers

Marcus

OK, I've swapped the bulbs and wiggled every wire in reach without success, I also checked and swapped fuses out just to test that.

The full beam worked once correctly during the week but not since. Any further ideas would be a great help. This is really bugging me.

Where does the head light assembly earth to the body, perhaps this is corroded.

thanks

Marcus

Solved

OK, an update to help anyone else with a similar problem. I dropped round to friend with a multimeter and tested voltages in the different lamp sockets. We established it was an earth leak.

In tracing wires back to the harness we found the rectangular black connector attached to the base of the head lamp housing was corroded, we scrubbed this a little and hey presto, working lights.

Seems the connector is in a bad way, I'll have it replaced in the next service.
:thumb:

Thanks to Ted for pointing me in the right direction

Marcus
You should be able to release the connector from the plug - it will probably have a locking tab.
You can then solder on a replacement connector (Halfords may have one)

Or get a good connector plug cut off from a breakers, and join the wires (solder)

Cheaper than the dealer, and the smug satisfaction that you did it yourself. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom