Odd message on phone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

artyman

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Kia E-Niro ex C 200 CDI Sport
I had an unexpected message on my phone last night from REMOVED "Lets switch to Signal https:\\signal.org/install"
Looked at the website and it looks like an encrypted messaging app, is this something to do with the dark web, I'm certainly not installing unknown stuff on my phone, but where did they get my number?

Last edited by a moderator:
I expect someone that has you as a contact installed it. It’s a bit like WhatsApp for people that don’t want to be censored.

Yep, someone has gone through their contacts and have send you an invite.

Call that number you have posted (I will delete it from here) for a split second and your phone will tell you who it was.

Signal is another messaging app. It has had a 2400% increase in downloads recently due to Whatsapp updating it's privacy policy in some countries stating that Facebook will have access to some of their data. For this reason, people have looked at alternatives and Signal seems to be the no.1 choice

Signal is another messaging app. It has had a 2400% increase in downloads recently due to Whatsapp updating it's privacy policy in some countries stating that Facebook will have access to some of their data. For this reason, people have looked at alternatives and Signal seems to be the no.1 choice

Just to clarify. I understand the new policy is not applicable in the UK

Apparently Signal are having problems caused by the number of people trying to join it!

Telegram is another one which people are using.

I belief that is does affect the UK? An IT friend of mine recommended our group chat move to Signal and we’ve been using it recently. It’s ok and similar to WhatsApp.

The UK and Europe were not part of this privacy update but people virally sharing a video about the new changes caused panic. Whatsapp have now apparently held back their latest privacy update.

And I will lay odds that once (e.g.) Telegram/Signal hit critical mass it will either go to a paid service or they will subtly alter T's & C's to allow use of data. No such thing as FREE

If you are on the Internet with very few exceptions (IT professionals who really understand it and are hyper selective about what they access) your data is being used

And I will lay odds that once (e.g.) Telegram/Signal hit critical mass it will either go to a paid service or they will subtly alter T's & C's to allow use of data. No such thing as FREE

If you are on the Internet with very few exceptions (IT professionals who really understand it and are hyper selective about what they access) your data is being used
Exactly, no such thing as a free lunch

Telegram is another one which people are using.
I prefer Telegram to be honest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom