Odd one! Uncomfortable seat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

felixmc

Car
E220
I'm a happy 2007 E220 owner but I've noticed what I think is a problem with the front seats. I don't believe it's a problem with my seat but the cars design.

Let me explain. I feel like the seat does not face the steering wheel and pedals correctly and twists the lower back. My suspicion is that the car being right hand drive suffers as result of being designed LHD.

I've tried the lumber support in all manner of positions but can only think of adding a 3rd party seat attachment to point one a bit better.

Thoughts? Telling me I'm bonkers is fine!

You wouldn't like the seating position in a Mazda RX8 then! As your legs are completely facing the offside front wheel, as the engine is next to your left ankle...

Does it still feel this way if you sit with your left foot on the foot rest?

The steering wheel is not parallel to the driver seat so your right arm needs to reach further than your left arm to hold the steering wheel . A tape measure will prove if this is true in your car.

Dec

Initially I thought it was just my back but my Mrs was pregnant and noticed it more the heavier she got. On short journeys its not noticeable but longer than an hour and it's there.

i-Conica: regarding the left foot rest - I think so. I certainly use it but find to alleviate the discomfort I tend to move around in my seat and the left foot.

Longest journey has been 3.5 hours and although uncomfortable it's not really bad ... I just don't expect it from a Merc. Would be interesting to hear from another E220 (57 2007) owner.

My wife had a Renault Scenic a while back with the same anomaly. It was a surprisingly good car for 5 years and she thought it was fine, but I could not stand to drive it. always reaching further with my right arm.

Initially I thought it was just my back but my Mrs was pregnant and noticed it more the heavier she got. On short journeys its not noticeable but longer than an hour and it's there.

i-Conica: regarding the left foot rest - I think so. I certainly use it but find to alleviate the discomfort I tend to move around in my seat and the left foot.

Longest journey has been 3.5 hours and although uncomfortable it's not really bad ... I just don't expect it from a Merc. Would be interesting to hear from another E220 (57 2007) owner.

Our 211 is the same, as is the 221 S Class. As you say - a surprising ergonomic boo boo from Merc.

In this day and age, you'll struggle to find a vehicle without some compromise of seating position. Demands of packaging/crash protection/increased cabin space mean something has to give.

However, we're all different - I have monthly appointments to reset my back, yet doing 14hrs straight in my 211 was no issue.

Let me explain. I feel like the seat does not face the steering wheel and pedals correctly and twists the lower back. My suspicion is that the car being right hand drive suffers as result of being designed LHD.

This happens in a lot of cars - BMWs are famous for it. It tends to be more noticeable in manual cars as the pedals are more offset to fit them all in. In one of the 5 Series iterations they didn't even bother to switch the wipers around.

Obviously standard E Class seats aren't comfortable as Mercedes does a "comfort" option!

Thanks for all the responses. Reading around the web sounds like I need to change my driving position. Specifically being closer and lower ... Start of wrists should just be able to rest on top of wheel without stretching.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom