Odd spots on paintwork

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derekthetree

Car
C350e
Seems like some keen car cleaning guys on here so thought I'd make use!

Over the past few weeks some odd spots have been appearing on the other half's car (see attached, note this is dirty not clean).
They are sporadically over the bonnet, roof and bootlid

They started out as a few spots but seem to be multiplying!
I initially I though they were fallout from her work (lots of odd stuff gets emitted...) but I'm now thinking it might be a cleaning product.
I've tried rubbing a fair bit and its not coming off easily.

I clean both our cars using the same stuff but mine doesn't seem to be affected. Perhaps its hidden better by the colour. I do take a little more care over mine re. dabbing down etc.

Any thoughts appreciated :thumb:

Attachments

• WP_20160930_16_49_21_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160930_16_49_21_Pro.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 57
How old is the car? It's hard to tell from the picture but it could also be clear coat failure.

Cheers guys, its a 64 plate F30 3 series. I've attached a couple of the other photos I took.

Ironically I had a Golf for my previous car and no issues with paint!

EDIT: Ignore all the tiny bits, that's crud! Its the oily looking blotch.

Attachments

• WP_20160930_16_48_51_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160930_16_48_51_Pro.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 34
  • WP_20160930_16_49_01_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160930_16_49_01_Pro.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 39
Etching from bird droppings?

Looks like bird poo damage to the lacquer. Although photos could be deceiving.

What did you try to rub the spots with?

You mention the stuff that you clean the car with, could it be too acidic and have gone into sections of chips and spread under the clear coat?

If it's bird poo damage then you will probably need to buff it out to fix it, ideally by machine with a fairly aggressive compound.

Thanks again for the replies. There is so much of it, I can't believe it's bird poo, I'm not quite as protective as with my car but I'd like to think I'd spot an attack by a blunderbuss albatross!

My current car washing stuff is basic simoniz wash shampoo and wax. Should be innocuous and idiot proof right?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Simoniz-Wash-and-Wax-5L/dp/B000X2CVSY

So if it's damage to clear coat then could be something acidic from work? Either way something that will need professional attention...

Could just be some sort of contaminate.

If you think its just surface, it could be worth trying Autogylm Tar remover. Takes most things off the paintwork, but remember to add wax again as it removes the wax too.

https://www.autoglym.com/intensive-tar-remover

A gentle wipe down with on a clean car with a microfibre cloth and the tar remover will let you know if its going to come away without getting someone else involved.

I reckon that'll polish off.

Probably a bit of road mank that's gone weird. I've seen new cars have similar patches that soon go.

Wash it and give it a polish and I'll be surprised if it hasn't gone.

That looks the same as contamination that I deal with on a regular basis. Looks like fallout from a petrochemical industry. In my experience T&G(various leading brands) will not remove it. Give the car a good wash first, then try some white spirit(could also try meths) with a soft cloth. You might have to give it a couple of applications. Give the car another good wash and a good polish/wax. Be careful with the white spirit if the clear coat/lacquer is damaged though.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, if it is petrochemical fallout contamination then it will also be on your front/rear window, just more difficult to see. Again white spirit should remove it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom