Odd texting problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Druk

Gone but not forgotten - RIP
Car
2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
So, swmbo has an iPhone5. There is one particular contact in there that doesn't receive texts. The number is correct as we have speech contact and txt messages presumably send OK because the swoooosh sound is heard on 'Send'.
The recipients phone is android. Settings>Messages>Send as SMS is enabled.
Other android and Apple devices are receiving OK just not this one.

Any ideas please?

Derek

Can that contact text you without issue?

I would suggest (assuming you have not done so) deleting the contact then re-enter it. Check that have no "odd" characters in the contact spelling (spaces etc) this should not matter but is worth a check. To be sure then re-enter the contact with name as just the letter A, then test. If Okay then enter the full name and test again.

If this fails then get your contact to speak to their network provider as it may be an issue at that end.

Did the recipient switch to Android recently form iPhone, and perhaps not unsubscribe from the iCloud service, though text messages still being routed as iMessage instead of SMS.

When she tries to send a message, what colour does the (failed) message show as? If sent as SMS, it will be green; if sent as iMessage it will show as blue.

I don't think the recipient had an iPhone.

The sent message is green. It never says it was 'undelivered'.

Tried deleting the contact and re-installing as 'A'. Still nothing.

swmbo recently went from iPhone 3 to 5 and had to get sim cut down to fit. However...iphone contacts are stored in phone and not on sim so that shouldn't be it...or could it?

swmbo recently went from iPhone 3 to 5 and had to get sim cut down to fit. However...iphone contacts are stored in phone and not on sim so that shouldn't be it...or could it?

No. As you say they data is stored on the phone and NOT the SIM.

If it is green then that "should" be sending a standard (non-imessage) SMS. I am thinking that your recipient needs to speak to their network provider.

I'm curious to know if the recipients phone accepts texts from other friends phones?

If it does then maybe the problem lies with Mrs Druk's phone/sim package? :dk:

Even though they're being sent green, it may be trying to send the message as an iMessage, but rather from the number, it's trying to send it as an iMessage via the email address (essentially the same thing but there is a difference) so the phone is failing the message and sending it as a text

On green text messages it won't tell you if it's delivered or not so it's likely they aren't going through. That or the recipient has no signal, but as mentioned already they seem to be receiving messages from others fine. Seems a weird one, stick to email for the contact it's not worth restoring for one number if the calls are working

Ask what IOS is the iPhone 5 on? Updating to the latest (even though it sucks!) may help, and is easier than backing up and restoring etc if you decided that route

Even though they're being sent green, it may be trying to send the message as an iMessage, but rather from the number, it's trying to send it as an iMessage via the email address (essentially the same thing but there is a difference) so the phone is failing the message and sending it as a text

On green text messages it won't tell you if it's delivered or not so it's likely they aren't going through. That or the recipient has no signal, but as mentioned already they seem to be receiving messages from others fine. Seems a weird one, stick to email for the contact it's not worth restoring for one number if the calls are working

I tried disabling the iMessage feature which didn't help and swmbo doesn't 'do' email so there are no email addys in her phone.

We're spending New Year with the affected party so I'll have a look at the phone then.

Meantime...thanks for all the input. Just one of life's mysteries it seems.

I'm curious to know if the recipients phone accepts texts from other friends phones?

If it does then maybe the problem lies with Mrs Druk's phone/sim package? :dk:

The recipients phone sends txts perfectly well to swmbo but the reply is blocked somewhere along the line and my iPhone 6 sends and receives to both just fine. :dk:

Druk said:
The recipients phone sends txts perfectly well to swmbo but the reply is blocked somewhere along the line and my iPhone 6 sends and receives to both just fine. :dk:

This does sound like the recipient has blocked the number.

Have they accidentally blocked your number?

Dunno :dk: but if that was the case then wouldn't ordinary 'phone calls would be blocked as well?

This does sound like the recipient has blocked the number.

As Derek said, if this was the case Mrs Druk wouldn't be able to make a phone call to the other phone. Blocking a contact blocks, texts, calls & emails? :dk:

Happytalk73 said:
As Derek said, if this was the case Mrs Druk wouldn't be able to make a phone call to the other phone. Blocking a contact blocks, texts, calls & emails? :dk:
not disagreeing. I don't use android. Is it possible to filter the blocking by call, text, mms etc?

My mother had this issue when texting my son. I changed my son's number in her phone from +447xxx to 07xxx this resolved the problem due to O2 PAYG blocking international numbers

rmcservices said:
My mother had this issue when texting my son. I changed my son's number in her phone from +447xxx to 07xxx this resolved the problem due to O2 PAYG blocking international numbers

Good point! Replace with a zero

not disagreeing. I don't use android. Is it possible to filter the blocking by call, text, mms etc?

I'm not sure Bruce. I know on my iPhone you can either block a contact, or not. No other options. TBH I'm out of my depth here. I'm just throwing ideas into the mix. :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom