Oddball Car Accidents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

erdnase

Car
E Class Coupe 2016
About 8+ years ago one of my neighbours whose garage is opposite mine accidentally hit the accelerator instead of the brake and did this damage. Car C180 was a write off and garage had to be extensively rebuilt. The only good news was nobody actually got hurt.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 113
  • PICT2592.jpg
    PICT2592.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 119
My mate Dave was reversing his SWB Mitsubishi Pajero over the Pit in his garage. At some point after he started the maneuver, somebody must have moved the pit a couple of feet to one side. Result = The Pajero fell into the pit on one corner. Dave is over it now and can talk about it without getting all upset. Unless Dave's wife mentions it? Then all hell breaks loose.

The front of the car seems remarkably undamaged considering the condition of the garage door and the hole that it punched in a brick wall.

erdnase said:
About 8+ years ago one of my neighbours whose garage is opposite mine accidentally hit the accelerator instead of the brake and did this damage. Car C180 was a write off and garage had to be extensively rebuilt. The only good news was nobody actually got hurt.

Did the neighbour drive forward away from their house, hit your garage door, which goes forward into the black Merc parked in the garage which ends up penetrating the external wall?

Or, are those photos of the neighbours car in their own garage, they pulled away forward by mistake within their garage?

I'm guessing by the state of the door that's your garage and they drove straight forward, being option one

My mate Dave was reversing his SWB Mitsubishi Pajero over the Pit in his garage. At some point after he started the maneuver, somebody must have moved the pit a couple of feet to one side. Result = The Pajero fell into the pit on one corner. Dave is over it now and can talk about it without getting all upset. Unless Dave's wife mentions it? Then all hell breaks loose.

So, both you and your friend Dave have Pajeros?

The neighbor reversed his into the garage door and basicly smashed the door in against my car punching it through the wall. The car was amazingly only had a minor dent at rear and some small scuffs on the front . Actually was it was perfectly drivable, however it was declared a write off and I had to replace the car.

Last edited:
One night a friend of mine managed to crash his Volvo through a shop front ... the irony being that it was the office of his insurance broker.

I forgot to mention the car was in gear and hand brake was on so my neighbor must have hit it at some speed to move my car through a brick wall.

I was installing a radio in a brand new as yet unregistered Citroen CX.
It was parked out the back on a steep slope, and the passenger seat had been removed.
As I was pushing the radio home, my back pushed against the handbrake button - the lever did not have to be pulled up to release the handbrake on the CX, and the car rolled down and smashed into a wall.
I JUST missed being able to catch it on the brake.
It was a brand new colour too :/

Not as bad as one of my colleagues who was fitting a stereo in a brand new unregistered 450 SEL. The owner to be had a game leg, and along with hand controls the brake and accelerator were reversed.
I watched as he came steaming round the back(as we did) but knew something was wrong as he came fishtailing up the car park without slowing, and smashed into the radio repair shack/portakabin, knocking it back a good 6-12 inches and making a right mess of the front. The wheels were still spinning and smoking as I ran to help the very red faced guy out of the car.
I ended up working at the place that sold the car and the same sort of thing happened there at least once, - nobody but the service manager was allowed to drive it or have the keys.

As I was pushing the radio home, my back pushed against the handbrake button - the lever did not have to be pulled up to release the handbrake on the CX, and the car rolled down and smashed into a wall.
I JUST missed being able to catch it on the brake.

I was on the train to work one day and a guy sitting opposite to me was telling his colleague how he got dragged underneath his car (Renault or Citroen?) after accidentally activating the electronic handbrake release in the boot. The car was on a sloping drive and rolled backwards over him and out across the road till it hit the kerb on the other side. He had some slight crush injuries (ribs?) plus some scrapes and bruises. Very lucky I think.

The button in the boot was apparently an override that could be used to release the brake for towing or pushing the car if there was a problem with the normal release inside the car (or maybe no/flat battery?).

I don't think anyone could beat Brian Harvey from the 90's pop combo East 17!

Troubled reality TV star Brian Harvey has provided an astonishing explanation for the bizarre and terrifying accident in which he was run over by his own Mercedes... claiming it was caused by a meal of three giant baked potatoes smothered in tuna mayonnaise and cheese.
Harvey, speaking for the first time about the incident that nearly cost him his life, says he fell under the car as he leant out of the driver's door to be sick because he had eaten so much - and the Mercedes rolled over him.
He fractured his pelvis in seven places, broke his ribs and punctured his lungs. He lay unconscious for three weeks and had to endure 12 hours of surgery as doctors battled to rebuild his shattered frame.

In Days of Yore (Before the invention of the pneumatic tyre lols!) I had a Sierra 1.8lx Estate as a company car..we were attending OES in Aberdeen and had the back of the car kitted out and fully laden with valves. After the show we packed up and set off back down the road.. I decided on a short cut that took away the corner of Aberdeen and brought you out just below Stonehaven. I'm driving along on this twisty turny road beating the crap out of the Sierra.. when I noticed the skies clear and the temp fall.. it was about 11 at night.. and the road started to glisten and twinkle... I came over the hill and at the bottom, the road dog legged to the right. There saw a large grassy noll (?) at the bottom along with a drystone dyke behind it.. I came down the hill and inevitably skidded straight hitting the mound and taking off.. isn't it funny at this point you feel like the Six Million Dollar Man and all goes into slow motion?? I mean, I remember a tin of traveling sweets leaving the dashboard and slowly opening up, spilling the contents in away that I could physically count the sweets as they spilled out.... a massive bang and crash ensued and I thought.. "Here we go.." then I noticed that the engine was still running, car was sitting level so I popped it into gear and crossed the field, only to meet the farmer opening the gates, his tractor parked up and flood lights on.. "Cheers Mate" I shouted as I drove out the gate, the look on his face was priceless... Got the car into the dealers and all I had done was crack the bumper and tear off the splitter/air dam underneath..no other damage..
On analysis of the accident it would appear that the weight of the valves at the back had caused the car to land rear wheels first.. and probably saving my bacon into the bargain...

My Mate had an old Volvo 164 - the 3 Litre straight 6 job, hit black ice at about 40mph (yes they can go that fast..) spun on the ice and stuffed it through a brick wall.. turns up for work shaken but none the worse and a broken headlight... no other damage to the bumper or the wings etc.. totally amazing....

Last edited:
Are you sure it was an accident?

Yes, he was a cr@p driver!

He lived down a narrow lane off the high street, and the broker's office was on the corner. Somehow he misjudged the turn coming home one night and went straight through the shop front. Apparently they didn't take it personally.

My brother bought a Jax XF last Christmas. He picked it up day before, then drove it home between Christmas and New Year. He parked at the top of his drive, and rotated the gear selector to P while he moved the bin that was in his way.

Unfortunately he'd left in N. Living on a steep hill, with a steep drive, his car introduced itself to his house via his dining room wall.

I begged him for pictures, but he was not for supplying them....

He did not really see any humour in it... I probably did not help when attending a New Years party - for some reason everyone asked him how his new car was...

I did laugh when I saw my car had been punched through a wall and everybody thought it was hilarious. However once learned I need to buy another car it became the most expensive accident I wasn't in. The good news was the rebuild on my garage was excellent . It still makes a dinner table story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom