OEM AMG Wheels? Or Fake?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrE55

Car
E55 AMG W211
Hello my fellow MB enthusiats - I have a query and cannot find the answer anywhere online so I am hoping one of you may have the answer.

I have 19" MB SL65 AMG alloys on my 2003 E55 amg out in Germany. I have gone to re-register and the local TüV have failed my wheels for being the wrong type for my car. After weeks of delays I decided to buy more AMG alloys for my car to pass the inspection, only MB stopped manufacturing these years ago! Great. And used sales are infrequent as the codes and sizes have to be exactly as per my original CoC document or the inspector will not pass it.

This is honestly the most ridiculous thing I have heard in a while yet here I am stuck in this common German problem.

So it came back to my current wheels - I have to prove they are fit for purpose on my vehicle (ignoring the fact they have been on the car 16 years without a problem in the UK)

My local garage says my wheels are not legit because MB always have 1 serial on the wheel - mine have 2. I have looked online and many who claim to be selling OEM wheels also have 2 codes like mine.

A 211 400 1202 & A 171 400 0302 - both have the MB stamp on the inside and I have to say these wheels dont look or feel fake and the previous owner didnt hold back spending big money when he turned my car into a 630bhp beast!
That said, maybe they are and they are just bloody good fakes.

Do any of you know why there are 2 different references on each wheel? I figured 1 for each of the 2 parts (split rims)? But honestly I am out of my depth on this subject.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Hinter Rechts.jpg
    Hinter Rechts.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 34
  • Vorne Rechts.jpg
    Vorne Rechts.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 34
  • 20210712_180209.jpg
    20210712_180209.jpg
    1,020.4 KB · Views: 34
Hi , I had the similar problem with the wheels on my C207.

Unfortunately MB UK or the supplying dealer where not interested in the problem.

I cannot legally drive my car in Germany because of work carried out on my wheels by an MB dealer in the UK.

Diamond cutting of the wheels was the problem.

If you register you car in Germany , don't you have to obtain a German driving licence ?

Car insurance issues and the list goes on.

As you implied it's a shambles and you are correct.

Have you inquired about the total cost as well.

Can't a German MB dealer confirm the provenance of the wheels.

Sorry I can not be of any real help

Haven't seen two different Part#'s on the same wheel before, but the A211 400 1202 is the correct number for a Front alloy as in the link below. No mention of the SLK Part number A171 400 0302 in the link for SLK wheels on the same site.
They certainly look like OEM wheels.

There are forum threads that mention both part codes together, so I would say your local garage is unhelpfully mistaken

They appear to be genuine.

See this post back in 2013 of a similar set. They have an 171 and 112 part number also.

Yours have been painted though.

Hi , I had the similar problem with the wheels on my C207.

Unfortunately MB UK or the supplying dealer where not interested in the problem.

I cannot legally drive my car in Germany because of work carried out on my wheels by an MB dealer in the UK.

Diamond cutting of the wheels was the problem.

If you register you car in Germany , don't you have to obtain a German driving licence ?

Car insurance issues and the list goes on.

As you implied it's a shambles and you are correct.

Have you inquired about the total cost as well.

Can't a German MB dealer confirm the provenance of the wheels.

Sorry I can not be of any real help
Sorry I don't understand, your wheels are now illegal in Germany because a MB Dealer cosmetically diamond cut the face by a few mm's ?

Mine have been recently diamond cut and still appear new.

Sorry I don't understand, your wheels are now illegal in Germany because a MB Dealer cosmetically diamond cut the face by a few mm's ?

Mine have been recently diamond cut and still appear new.
Hi , read what TUV say plus backed up by Mercedes.

The wheels have been altered from MB OE spec by removing material from the wheel

Hi , read what TUV say plus backed up by Mercedes.

The wheels have been altered from MB OE spec by removing material from the wheel
So you cannot refurbish MB alloys in Germany?

Not by machining metal off them , no . Or at least that's how I see the post . The TUV are very strict.

Yes 'repair done by TuV certified company in Germany' , #2 the wheels were done by a UK MB dealer = not a certified repair.

Yes 'repair done by TuV certified company in Germany' , #2 the wheels were done by a UK MB dealer = not a certified repair.
Would they be able to tell, or is it like very strict mot.
But you are allowed to take a UK car and tour Germany with refurbished alloys.

asking for a friend.

Driving in (this case) Germany with a UK supplied car as a temporary visitor is one thing , registering it for a German number plate for permanent use on German roads would put it under German law's .

I think that is one of the reasons that any tuned up 'hot rodded' car that we see coming out of Germany is usually of a very high standard. I have not been to Germany for a few years but I do not remember seeing many crappy little badly 'modified' fart box cars whizzing around making horrible noises like we see in the UK .

Fake . The amg logo isn't right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom