OEM LED rear lights..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dr-Nab

MB Enthusiast
Car
B8.5 S5 Coupe 430hp/520nm
On the GL350 CDI It's a '59 facelift model with the full LED rears (and still under warranty).

The right rear indicators have jacked in.. still works but flashes randomly - fast then slow then constantly on rather than how it would normally work, left side are perfectly fine. It's only 2 of the 10 LEDs (the one in the middle on each row) that have stopped working. Had a look to see if I could pop the light cover off and replace the LEDs but they're nicely bolted in and I can't get to the upper bolts unless I take the trim out of the side of the boot.

By looking at the back of the cluster, the loom etc from what I could see I don't know if it will be possible to open the unit and replace anything without breaking any seals - as previously with replacing a normal halogen bulb it's blindingly obvious on how to do it.

Question I have is are the LEDs lights covered by warranty? Can the individual LEDs be replaced? I imagine they're set up in a similar manner to other MBs that have LED lights so just looking for some insight if anyone else has had any issues with theirs.

I know some dealers are funny on bulbs and see them as consumables but LEDs are supposed to last a whole lot longer than 2 years/20k miles.

Any help would be great!

Thanks,

Nab

fyi, tier 1 doesnt cover "Lamp units", maybe factory warranty does.

They are covered under warranty, just ordered a new lamp unit because the new LED ones are all sealed so you can't replace any of the bulbs. Expensive failure (for what it is) if you've not got a warranty!

^ from what I've seen at dealers they would not be able to replace an individual item anyway...

They have to fit a complete new part that just plugs in.

They seem to have lost any proper skills.

All 'fitters' now , no more 'mechanics'

They are covered under warranty, just ordered a new lamp unit because the new LED ones are all sealed so you can't replace any of the bulbs. Expensive failure (for what it is) if you've not got a warranty!

Result!

I recon id be out with a soildering iron if i were coughing up the dosh for one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom