OEM paper air filter VS after maket air filter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aroppi

Car
W202 C280, E46 320i
hi all,
besides the price and long lasting factors of those after market air filter, e.g. K&N, Green, ITG...etc.
do u think they are always better than the OEM paper one? anyone can share your ideas about that?:)

i found that most of the time, air filter seems to be the first thing to do on our mod.

Thanks Brian!!! what a great physics lesson!!!
a sharper response of the gas pedal seems to be the benefit of those after market air filters. (with air box)

but... will it be the same story as "the Emperor's new clothes"?? coz' it's a "drop-in" filter. all the "physics" stuff are fix-factors.

replacement air filters

Just a quick comment about air filters. I always make such they are form filters unlike K & N or Green as they are cotton filters. Cotton filters allow larger particles than paper or foam filters. This may invalid your warranty.
So I normally go for piper cross or ITG foam filters they are more efficient (ie trap smaller particles than cotton and less air resistance than paper ones.

Foam filters have a larger area( like spores of a sponge)so are more efficient than the other two. Cotton filter may have the least resistance to the air flow but be carefull if the oil in the filter dries out you might allow dust into your engine.
I remember in the late 70s I own a mercedes diesel car which uses a metal gauge in oil as an air filter .

i am just updating my w210 e320cdi estate air filter. at the moment they only two foam filter manufacturers i can think of, ie pipercross and itg. I decided to go for the itg as its a three layer foam as that of the two layer pipercross. Itg have said that it will be hand made and I will be getting it by tuesday 11/1/11.wil post again once i receive it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom