of belts, bushings and tensioners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dmsims

1993 W124 280E

Going to change the drive belt (cracked). Is it worth changing the tensionser ?.

Have also seen mention of bushings? (are they part of the tensioner ?)

TIA

Have also seen mention of bushings? (are they part of the tensioner ?)
I've just done mine - You'll have a sprung loaded tensioner which has a small shock absorber attached to it. In the ends where the mounting bolt holes are is where the bushes are and they are one piece with the shock absorber. A new shock absorber is only about £7 from GSF and its a genuine Bilstein item - the very same i beleive that Mercededs will charge you about £25 for! It's an easy job but not as easy as changing the belt (5 min job) so personally wouldn't if its not rattling.

EDIT: (had a look on their website and my prices above were a bit out)

GSF No's:
Belt (mines no air con and a 4 pot engine) M13350 £9.50
damper (should all be the same i think) M17102 £17.95

Last edited:
Thanks for that

On the GSF site they have

RIBBED BELT TENS ABSORBER
DRIVE BELT TENS.PULLEY

?

dmsims said:
Thanks for that

On the GSF site they have

RIBBED BELT TENS ABSORBER
DRIVE BELT TENS.PULLEY

?

The exact bits i got were:
M13350 RIBBED BELT-6PK 2050 124: E200 93> -AC 9.50
M17102 RIBBED BELT TENS ABSORBER 124: E200 / E200T Saloon/Estate 111.940 06/93>07/96 17.95

It would look like you need M17105 (RIBBED BELT TENS ABSORBER ) and M13360 (RIBBED BELT-6PK 2080 124: E280 Saloon/Estate 104.942 -AC) . It's not too clear tho is it so don't take my word for it. They might be able to help you more in the shop.

Thanks again, I think I will ring them

Don't forget to get stealership quotes, without labour charges stealership prices are often very competitive :)

Shude said:
Don't forget to get stealership quotes, without labour charges stealership prices are often very competitive :)

Most definately - 99% of all parts I have bought for my car have been purchased from my local MB parts department. Generally about the same price as pattern parts, sometimes a little more expensive, and sometimes a little cheaper! ;)

I think the only items I am guilty of avoiding the Stealership for are Oil, 1x Wiper Blade (was a genuine Bosch one though :) ) and a set of Bilstein shock absorbers (MB sell Bilstein shocks themselves as OE).

Lastly, you probably stand a higher chance of getting the right bits first time from the dealers with parts taken from your VIN. :cool:

Cheers,

Will

Shude + Will - Are you 2 Merc dealers or something?? I have never got anything anywhere near motorfactors prices from dealer, with the excepion of interior light bulbs. Even then i had to go through the crap of exactly what car it was, year, model, colour, trim, reg, how big my nob is. Even if they were the same price they'd still need to lose the attitude they've got before i go near them. The way it is at the moment they just don't deserve any custom. You know the big dollops right!

Well eddie is right

29.21 for the belt
21.57 for the damper

+ VAT

which is a LOT more

It really is amazing that they charge £20 more for the same product, more amazing still is that people pay it! :confused:

eddie_E said:
It really is amazing that they charge £20 more for the same product, more amazing still is that people pay it! :confused:

Not really that amazing! Depends on a number of factors - but as I said, from previous experience of buying Mercedes-Benz parts, overall I would say that the dealership parts department offers value for money.

Yes, you can buy some parts cheaper - your belt being a good example, but 9 times out of 10 I would choose the original parts, that way you pretty much guaranteed the right part first time and can be certain of the quality.

Some parts are so ridiculously cheap it is obvious that the dealership makes a loss (eg, that odd clip/screw, new strip for your grille etc). It is not worth their time selling these parts, but they do.

For some parts (eg, batteries, oil etc) it is worth shopping around first, but for most other parts I will use the dealership.

For just a quick example, GSF list front pads for my 1997 C230K @ between £27.50 and £31.45 (+ VAT) depending on which brand you choose.

A set of genuine Mercedes-Benz original OEM pads, from my conveniently local dealership cost me £21.50 + VAT! ;) The pad wear sensors - MB = £1.45 ea, GSF £1.50, a new bonnet star - MB price = £11.48, GSF = £11.95 (are they even genuine? :crazy: )

I could go on! :rolleyes:

No doubt some items will be cheaper and some more expensive, but I would rather use original rather than pattern parts, especially if they are cheaper.

Oh, and a new ribbed belt for my car (the main poly v belt) costs £12.70 from GSF, Mercedes charged me £11.77. :p

Will

Well I stand corrected! but in this case of the damper and belt the damper is bilstein and is OEM!, the belt is BOSCH which is hardly a bad name!, I think OEM is contisomething. I just wanted to share my findings when i fixed my belt and damper for anyone whose interested.
Oh, and a new ribbed belt for my car (the main poly v belt) costs £12.70 from GSF, Mercedes charged me £11.77.
Thats the one (then only one isnt it?) for 11.77 i think they cocked up and you got a bargain.

eddie_E said:
Well I stand corrected! but in this case of the damper and belt the damper is bilstein and is OEM!, the belt is BOSCH which is hardly a bad name!, I think OEM is contisomething. I just wanted to share my findings when i fixed my belt and damper for anyone whose interested. Thats the one (then only one isnt it?) for 11.77 i think they cocked up and you got a bargain.

It's most likely different to your belt - some parts are suprisingly cheap/expensive, you just don't know until you ask.

I don't think they got the price wrong, just seemed a fair price to me.

By all means, phone around when buying parts, but as I said, I prefer OEM and they just happen to be much nearer to me than GSF are! :)

Cheers,

Will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom