Off and away

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eddy77

SUPPORTER
Car
2008 CLK 350 Sport Cab and 2021 BMW 520i M Sport Saloon
Were it not for COVID we had planned a holiday to the US of A this summer. We’d have left yesterday. That has been cancelled but I’ve managed to find a lovely cottage to rent in Fowey (Cornwall) which is a place we often go to in the October Half term. I’m looking forward to it! We’re off for a week on 1st August. I hope we get some decent weather.

Whatever the weather, the pasties are worth the trip alone!

Any tips for things to do while we are there? We usually go off season in October so any “summer” tips most welcome!

Never been, but it looks lovely, have a great time - don't forget to send a postcard :thumb:

Polperro is a quaint place. How about The Eden Project, the Lost Gardens of Heligan?
Depends what's actually open/allowed to be open

From fond memories of 20 years of holidays in that area:

Readymoney Cover at the opposite end of Fowey to the ferry is worth a walk as it takes you all through the village and there is a place to get ice cream and drinks at the end and a small but perfectly formed beach and cove to relax in with protected swimming if you fancy a dip.

Talland Bay Beach Cafe is worth a visit. Nice off the beaten track place with parking, bay with rock pools and swimming etc. and a cafe that does great crab sandwiches, drinks and ice cream. You can also walk along the headland into Polperro if you're feeling fit or hire a kayak for a paddle along the coast.

Looe is worth a drive in the summer months for pubs, restaurants, tea rooms etc. Take the ferry out of Fowey and follow the signs to Looe, saves about a 20 minute drive using roads alone. Huge car park on your left as you come into the village and an easy walk to the shops etc. If you go down into the village you can turn right as you get to the bridge and if you follow that road you will end up on a headland where there are a couple of cafe's and a rocky beach to sit and enjoy the view.

Lostwithiel is a small town that has a few nice pubs, restaurants, deli's etc. If you like fish and chips then a seat by the river next to the ancient bridge is a good place to be with the chippy just back along the road.

St Austell Brewey does a good tour and is always well stocked with it's products.

As mentioned above it will be down to what is open but I would anticipate quite a lot will be by then as it is their main tourist season.

Never been, but looking at the images, what's not to like?

F.png

Reactions: 219
Fowey is a lovely place, as are Looe, and Polperro as mentioned.

We tend to travel a lot when we're on holiday so perhaps some of these might be further than you wish to travel, however some of our favourite places around there are Salcombe, Burgh Island and Truro (a beautiful city), and heading further afield then Blackpool Sands and Dartmouth are within striking distance, and even Brixham and Torquay aren't too far away.

When we went to see Lands End the visibility was so bad we couldn't see the sea although we could hear it and that was in July too. Hopefully you get better weather.

Thanks all. Some good suggestions there. I’ve never been to Brixham so that’s on the list. We spent our honeymoon in Polperro so might give that a visit with kids in tow. Car wise I thought about taking the CLK but I think the Audi will be used due to its ability to carry kit!

Were it not for COVID we had planned a holiday to the US of A this summer. We’d have left yesterday. That has been cancelled but I’ve managed to find a lovely cottage to rent in Fowey (Cornwall) which is a place we often go to in the October Half term. I’m looking forward to it! We’re off for a week on 1st August. I hope we get some decent weather.

Whatever the weather, the pasties are worth the trip alone!

Any tips for things to do while we are there? We usually go off season in October so any “summer” tips most welcome!
Well , if you need any hard to source parts for your car , Mercman are down there ...

Dartmoor Zoological Park at Sparkwell is always worth a visit:
You would need to pre-book tickets.
Just over an hour from Fowey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom