Off in a cloud of smoke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ackee911

Car
Mercedes-Benz S500L
Hi all,

I was cruising around today enjoying the comfort of my car. Everything was as it should be. I got around 25mpg, at 50mph easy driving.

Then I saw a friend of mine, and he wanted to drive my car. Fine, I said. he took it up the road, with me in it and put his foot down.

I looked back and I saw a big thick cloud of smoke-as thick as fog! The car was fine, temp. was fine, ticking over no problem, but what the hell was all that smoke from? My car WAS sitting around for a few months over christmas but since then I have used it 4/5 times a week doing short stop-start trips. Computer says a service is not due for a few thousand miles, but I'm thinking it needs one soon.

So, is it burning oil? Bad cat? (I'm just guessing-wildy)

It could be many things , a lot would depend on the colour of the smoke . Blue smoke would be oil , black smoke would be a fueling problem and white smoke would be an over heating problem , which is unlikely due to the car not over heating

Def. white smoke! No signs of over-heating.

Water getting in somewhere?

Could be a build up of condensation that wouldn't have been evaporated during your short trips. There is a lot of exhaust system in your car.

My advice is keep using but give it a good airing, and keep an eye on smoke and temperature gauge. Check your water daily unitl the problem is fixed or disappears (if it is condensation.

I thought it may be condensation-the smoke leaves the exhaust, and within 0.5 metre disappears.
A friend of mine thinks because I only drive at low revs, the smoke came out because of the high revving while his foot was down.

Any thoughts?

I dare say it is condensation burning off. When i use my wifes car (Subaru Legacy flat 6, 3.0) and i give it a little boot, if the weather is slightly cool, say below 10 degrees, the cloud behind me is like a batman screen!

An occasional Italian tune-up does no harm to the car whatsoever.

Lots of short trips aren't good for any car. If you want to cure it, i'd plan a long trip in the near future and drive it with some enthusiasm. It sounds like your car needs a good thrashing to clear out the condensation :)

I usually use my car on the weekends, and when i do, i'll usually boot it to its max once or twice to make sure its health is still in check.

I dare say it is condensation burning off. When i use my wifes car (Subaru Legacy flat 6, 3.0) and i give it a little boot, if the weather is slightly cool, say below 10 degrees, the cloud behind me is like a batman screen!

Exactly the same with the Legacy I had, think its condensation on cars with lots of exhaust. I agree with the Italian tune up whole heartedly :D

An occasional Italian tune-up does no harm to the car whatsoever.

Dead right.
You have a big 5 litre V8 it was not really designed to potter around town. Get it nice and warm - about 10 miles should do it - then open it up - you do not need to thrash it - just get the revs up to 3 - 4 thousand and give it a cruise at those revs - hold it in gear 3 if you need to. Do this once a month as a minimum - but always after the engine AND TRANSMISSION are nice and hot - not when cold or when the temp gauge has just reached normal.

I did exactly that, nice run warming up and then belting it. Thing is I got the feeling I was smelling something burning. I say "the feeling" because I sometimes smell things that aren't there! But I'm pretty sure something was burning.....

Now I don't usually red-line, or drive over-the-top, so am I right in thinking that you should treat your car good by going easy

I did exactly that, nice run warming up and then belting it. Thing is I got the feeling I was smelling something burning. I say "the feeling" because I sometimes smell things that aren't there! But I'm pretty sure something was burning.....

Now I don't usually red-line, or drive over-the-top, so am I right in thinking that you should treat your car good by going easy

Could have been the screeching tyres? or maybe your wallet caught fire?

Seriously though driving a car like this at low revs in a city - esp if the journeys are short - is a bit of a disaster. It needs 10 miles approx to get everything warmed up and then a mix of revs including 4k ish to clear it all out - will do it the world of good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom