Off to Autoglass in the morning...sense of impending doom

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

timwood2000

Car
R320 CDI SE LWB '07, BENTLEY CONTINENTAL FLYING SPUR MULLINER '06, FIAT 500 LOUNGE '58 & BMW R1200RT
After being told that my windscreen chip is not repairable (surprise surprise) booked in with Autoglass for a new screen in the morning.

I almost know it's going to go bad. Almost tempted to book it into the MB dealer to sort out the balls up now.

Can't change it - insurance co only use Autoglass. There are dozens of horror stories on the www and I have my own from previous experience too.

Wish me luck....

Good luck they changed mine in the Subaru just before it went did a great Job no problems and really professional fitter, but insurance comapny rang me to check the bill....... £956, guess who's premium will be going up next year?

I've had three windscreens changed in E classes over the years by Autoglass with no problems at all.

autoglass did my smart windscreen back in june. Perfect job. no complaints.

SENSE OF IMPENDING DOOM - INDEED.

I had RAC Windscreens do a rear quarter light on our Type 126 a couple of years ago.
I asked them - Do you need to remove the door inner panel.
No one knew.
Eventually, the answer was YES.
I told them I would remove and replace the inner panel (At least that wouldn't get smashed)
So - With the door inner panel removed, this hapless young lad made a start.
Have you done one of these before ? ... I asked (Should have known better than to ask).
Guess What ... He hadn't !!

An hour later, he had finished, and the glass looked OK.
I paid the bill (about 80 quid) and drove off home.
What's this ... Rattling and clattering from the back door.
There were screws missing and bits and pieces rattling about.
Well - I was surprised.

Nothing that I couldn't sort out.
I replaced my door inner panel and all was well.

Frightening !!
The Best of Luck

Johnsco

I had my cracked windsheld changed last year, lovely job, no complaints

After being told that my windscreen chip is not repairable (surprise surprise) booked in with Autoglass for a new screen in the morning.

I almost know it's going to go bad. Almost tempted to book it into the MB dealer to sort out the balls up now.

Can't change it - insurance co only use Autoglass. There are dozens of horror stories on the www and I have my own from previous experience too.

Wish me luck....
Why cant it be repaired mate?I've had some huge chips repaired in past by autoglass

Can't change it - insurance co only use Autoglass.

I don't see that it is any different from any other accident repair .

It is YOUR car and only YOU can decide who repairs it . THEY cannot force you to use a repairer you do not wish to use .

Having said that , I've used Autoglass previously without any problems .

It is YOUR car and only YOU can decide who repairs it . THEY cannot force you to use a repairer you do not wish to use .

Mine works on the basis of a preferred repairer.
If you choose another one, then they will only stand the cost up to a stated maximum.
This is even when your chosen garage may be cheaper than their preferred choice !!
Is it any wonder that premiums are so high ?

Certain repairer seem to have this market very-well sewn-up.

Johnsco

Why cant it be repaired mate?I've had some huge chips repaired in past by autoglass
Don't think that they can do a repair if it can impair your vision within the sweep of the drivers wiper (mot failure area). If you look closely on the tv advert you can still see the repair.

Last edited:
Don't think that they can do a repair if it can impair your vision within the sweep of the drivers wiper (mot failure area). If you look closely on the tv advert you can still see the repair.

I agree never seen a sucessful repair yet and often the mark left by the repair is more distracting than the original chip, replacement is the only answer IMO :)

they can if it's very small (<10mm from memory) even if it's within the sweep - i just had one repaired that is directly ahead of the driver (but too high up for it to cause me an issue)

of course the op's chip may be bigger and impair vision

Last chip Autoglass repaired looked brilliant, for about six months, when it fell out. Not in a critical position so it's just been left.

I've had three or four screens or door glasses done over the years, all Autoglass, never had a problem.

Well, just back from Autoglass and I am v pleased to report a job well done - nice guy clearly experienced did it - although he did start off by saying that it was going to be a difficult job becuase he had never done an R class before!

A couple of tiny marks inside along the A pillar, but all things considered, a good result.

Next to mine was a 3 month old Ford Focus that was having every window replaced following an argument at some lights when the other fella got out with a baseball bat and took out every single window - remember this next time you are hooting somone! To make matters worse, immediately after the windows had been smashed, there had been an emergency wrap put around the car to protect it, but because it was wet, when it was taken off, it had also taken large chunks of paint off with it. And, the owner was TPF&T apparantly.

Oh, and I got a shiny new Autoglass tax disc holder as well!

:bannana:

:)
Well, just back from Autoglass and I am v pleased to report a job well done - nice guy clearly experienced did it - although he did start off by saying that it was going to be a difficult job becuase he had never done an R class before!

A couple of tiny marks inside along the A pillar, but all things considered, a good result.

Next to mine was a 3 month old Ford Focus that was having every window replaced following an argument at some lights when the other fella got out with a baseball bat and took out every single window - remember this next time you are hooting somone! To make matters worse, immediately after the windows had been smashed, there had been an emergency wrap put around the car to protect it, but because it was wet, when it was taken off, it had also taken large chunks of paint off with it. And, the owner was TPF&T apparantly.

Oh, and I got a shiny new Autoglass tax disc holder as well!

:bannana:

Glad it all went well, think you are right though it depends on the individual that is doing the job and the experience they have had. Pleased you got a result though :)

Last edited:
You can still have a repair done if its in drivers direct eye line.However this is for smaller chips.Autoglass can repair chips to the size of a £2 coin away from drivers vision,and as long as the chip is not to close to edge of screen(6cm)I believe.

What, they pinched your lovely, shiny MB one?!! ;)

Not quite - a manky 'Vikings of Canterbury' plastic one that was peeling off anyway!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom