Off to the Dark Side

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dryce

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
Sadly I'm posting in here.

We partially defected back in Sep 2011 when SWMBO switched from her brilliant little R170 to her current Z4.

Went AU CLS hunting at the weekend. Ended up drawing back from the CLS after trying it. Something odd happened. I went in thinking the styling was OK'ish and came away underwhelmed by the interior (bizarrely the little square clock in the dash immediately irked me and on startup the dash dials annoyed me). Tried a 350. Didn't even bother trying a 250. Wandering around and looking at the car both inside and outside I've ended up doubting the external styling as well. SWMBO was rather more blunt than using the term 'doubt'.

So things not going as planned.

So SWMBO took me round the corner to the dark side establishment to meet the guy who closed her deal. I was adamant that I didn't want a 5 saloon. There was a pre-reg 5GT on the showroom floor on offer and it's just mad - huge interior space (A 'GT' that tries to have MPV headroom - should have called it the 5 Scenic) but not my cup of tea. And we end up at a 6. They have no AU 6's in my price range. So no joy. Except that there was a deal on a contract lease 640d Gran Coupe. Leases not my cup of tea - but I sat down and did the sums - new 640d GC over 30 months will cost me a bit more - but not a lot more than - buying an 18 month AU CLS350 outright and subtracting its value from what I paid after 30 months.

A 6 test drive was organised and it does the business. The things that annoyed me about the CLS aren't there - it feels more special to sit in and nice simple uncluttered dials. Not as nice as the uber-simple W211 layout I love but not bad at all. Gear selector is in the right place. Car feels a bit more gruff and muscular than the CLS - but still very refined. I much prefer the appearance.

So I will be off to the dark side when I take delivery next month.

OK so I should be excited. But I'm going to be sad to switch away from my W211. It's been utterly utterly brilliant over the 7 years I have had it. I know MB have more than just me to please in market - but I'm left sorely disappointed with the way they have gone. Technically there is no issue. The likes of the CLS350 are briliantly engineered. But my issue is that there is a question mark over design. We passed an original style CLS at one of the dealerships and it was genuinely striking - outside and inside - in a way that both the current overstyled CLS and bland but competent 640d GC are not.

Last edited:
You pays your money and you takes your pick. Its what is all about. I'm assuming you will still hang about with "us" though.

Best of luck with the new motor.

Nice car. This should worry MB. A lot of people are being drawn to the darkside.

I'm not in a position to buy a new car, but if I were, I'm not sure there is a single car in the MB current range that particularly appeals.

That could be said throughout most car ranges to be honest, but if I was spending my cash because I needed to I would not be ending up with MB running costs.

Don't forget the pics!

I agree with you about the way that MB styling has been going......all in the eye of the beholder of course......but I much prefer the styling of 10yrs. and 15yrs. ago.
Designers are supposed to be ahead of the game; and to be fair they usually are but I have not (yet) been won over by the latest crop of MB designs......love the SLS though.

Mic

we passed an original style cls at one of the dealerships and it was genuinely striking - outside and inside - in a way that both the current overstyled cls and bland but competent 640d gc are not.

+1

I don't understand their current thinking with the CLS, first one looked like nothing else in their range and attracted non Merc buyers because of it, new one looks exactly like everything else in their range albeit one a hippo has sat on.

In a showroom you actually have to look for it amongst the other current models. Do like the 4 door 6 series and would be tempted when they are more affordable, good choice.

You pays your money and you takes your pick. Its what is all about.

Indeed. Just a pity about the way I relate to some of the current product range.

I'm assuming you will still hang about with "us" though.

Not planning on leaving this place. Still interested in MBs and have a high regard for them.

The new 6 series is a pretty car, as is the new 5 series touring.

Very pleasing on the eye.

Nice choice. The new 6 looks stunning, I too would take one over the second gen CLS..

O/T: Are the refurbishment works still ongoing at Douglas Park?

As much as I love Mercedes I do like the look of the new 6. Fair play to you. Enjoy :thumb:

I currently drive a 2nd generation CLS after owning a gen 1 for three years, whilst I agree that the styling isn't quite up to the gen 1 there are some massive advantages. The gen 2 is much better to drive and the appalling headlights on the gen 1 have been replaced with the best lights (full LED) of any mass produced car. The additional power and torque are most welcome too.

I've never driven a 6 Grand Coupe or any BMW for that matter, but I got a fantastic discount and a brilliant PCP deal when I bought the CLS at the back end of 2011. However what amazed me when I recently went to look at a 6 Grand Coupe was the fact a similar spec car was nearly £30 k more than I paid for my 350CDi sport CLS. I view the CLS 350 CDi as a bit of a bargain of the Mercedes range.

RR

O/T: Are the refurbishment works still ongoing at Douglas Park?

Oh yes.

Pneumatic drills going full blast on the other side of the wall from the showroom and no heat on one of my visits.

Good luck, and glad to see you will still post here.

It goes without saying, we look forward to regular updates re the 6er

Fine choice... 6er is such a good car. Was having a mooch round today in BMW. It is just lovely inside.

the appalling headlights on the gen 1 have been replaced with the best lights (full LED) of any mass produced car.

if you are comparing standard halogen lights against LED lights, it's not a fair comparison

219 BiXenons work well.

if you are comparing standard halogen lights against LED lights, it's not a fair comparison

Never had an issue with the illumination performance of Bi-Xenons. If anything I'd like the option of taking them down a notch - driving at night out in the country you can get dazzled back by the reflection from modern road signs.

I suspect that the manufacturers are playing a real game at the moment - my gut feel is that the LED units should be a lot cheaper than Bi-Xenons but at the moment are being sold as a premium product.

my gut feel is that the LED units should be a lot cheaper than Bi-Xenons but at the moment are being sold as a premium product.

Eventually you may be right, but HIDs are pretty simple whereas LEDs at that power level require complex control, cooling and optics. I'm sure there's markup there too, but the parts are far more expensive for LEDs.

Eventually you may be right, but HIDs are pretty simple whereas LEDs at that power level require complex control, cooling and optics. I'm sure there's markup there too, but the parts are far more expensive for LEDs.

Bi-Xenon uses a movable brow to switch between high and low beam and a controller.

And for flashing hi-beam you still need an additional traditional headlight set because the xenon won't power up quickly enough.

And projector headlights already have beefier optics.

I suspect there is a volume issue at work as well. If LED units are low volume then that increases the premium. But my suspicion is that the market is adding a fair premium over and above for LEDs right now. So the premium in effect suppresses the volume and increases the underlying costs.:doh:

And for flashing hi-beam you still need an additional traditional headlight set because the xenon won't power up quickly enough.

Not any more you don't. My 1er uses the bi-xenon to flash, as do many other cars, no delay at all and the inside light that is the main beam on halogen equipped versions is just a dummy that holds the bulb to light the rings.

The older type ones on our Volvo however would be useless to flash as they do take time to warm up.

C240Sport97 said:

219 BiXenons work well.

Must say they were halogens, but on my first drive of my gen 1 they were probably the worst lights I'd had on a car for 10 years, a set of after market bulbs certainly improved matters but I always put it down to the beautiful low nose so forgave MB most of the time.

Before I bought the new CLS I seriously considered a gen 1 Grand Edition which came with Bi xenons as standard.

LEDs are the way forward though.........

RR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom