**offence code a700 - stopped and fined!**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SHAKTER

Car
W124 320TE, W124 300CE, W124 E36 AMG, W210 E240 V6, G Wagon
So I'm driving home yesterday and notice a marked police car on my tail following me for about 500m or so. I knew they were following me and saw one of the guys in the car jotting down notes whilst looking at my number-plate. 2mins later, they flashed their lights and directed me to pull over, which I did.

1) It turns out that my number-plate is apparently not in the correct UK format (not reflective & is embossed - it’s a German style plate).
2) On the background check they discovered my MOT had expired in October. Dang.

I understand that the onus is on the driver to maintain MOTs and reminders are not sent out. I completely forgot to be honest and accept this is my fault. Got a fixed penalty notice as a result. The guy issuing the fine was one of those 'tick the box' type fellas, not the type that would exercise any discretion - I knew I'd be wasting my breath trying to argue out of the fine, so didn’t bother. It just surprises me that these guys don't seem to have any empathy when booking a completely law-abiding citizen who pays countless thousands of pounds in tax every year and spends a ridiculous amount on fuel these days….

They did let me off on the number-plate issue though - out of interest does anyone know what is the penalty for having the 'incorrect' number plate format?

Also I am now concerned about another thing. When they pulled me over, I had stop on a busy junction at a bus stop on what I think is double red lines. I am guessing there is a camera somewhere in the vicinity - if I get a PCN will I have a case against it given that I HAD TO STOP THERE at the Police request??!!

Thanks all.

You should only stop where safe to do so, so you shouldnt have stopped on a red route imho.

The good news is that you can now get your car MOT'd and legal again rather than find out when your insurance company try and wiggle out of an insurance claim. Not sure if there are any points for no MOT, I once fell foul of this and it was a simple FPN and £60 fine - no points.

Understand your annoyance at this I'm sure, but how are the police supposed to separate you from someone who's deliberately avoided having their car MOT'd? I'm certain everyone gives them the same story - Sorry, I forgot. I'm not saying you did it deliberately of course, just that I'm not sure how they could practice discretion. After all, as you had no MOT it's also highly likely your insurance was invalid and so just think what could have happened. I'm guessing they did actually practice some discretion in not pursuing that aspect and clearly they did in letting you off on the number plates.

The current fine for illegal plates is £60 I believe but no points.

As for where you stopped, if that's where the police directed you to stop then you cannot be subsequently prosecuted for it.

Sorry for what must have turned out to be a bad day for you but it seems it could have been a whole lot worse.

Regards,

Number plate offence fines can range up to £1000 but the norm is a £60 FPN and no points.

AFAIK there are no points for no MOT, just a fine.

You could do what I do and put a '1 month to MOT' reminder on your calender/Outlook/phone!

Guess you won't forget again!

It just surprises me that these guys don't seem to have any empathy when booking a completely law-abiding citizen who pays countless thousands of pounds in tax every year and spends a ridiculous amount on fuel these days….

Well you aren't a law abiding citizen are you - dodgy number plates and no MOT

Just because I haven't murdered anyone in the pas 20 years I wouldn't expect to be let off if I did - hope you get my drift :D

To be fair, it sounds like the policeman did cut you some slack by not issuing a £60 penalty for the number plate.

Also, when you say "it turns out that my number-plate is apparently not in the correct UK format", are you saying you didn't realise there are rules about the correct display of number plates? Presumably you were instructed to get them changed by a certain date.

I don't think you need worry about a being stopped on a red line - any photographic evidence should also show the police car, and the police will have a timed record of the stop.

Last edited:
As for where you stopped, if that's where the police directed you to stop then you cannot be subsequently prosecuted for it.

The Police never direct you to stop anywhere, the onus is entirely on you the driver to stop somewhere safely and legally. Therefore if you are caught on camera stopping on a red route you will be liable for any asscociated fine or prosecution. I know instances where drivers have pulled over parked on crossing Zig Zags and the officer carrying out the stop added that to the offences committed.

Understand your annoyance at this I'm sure, but how are the police supposed to separate you from someone who's deliberately avoided having their car MOT'd? I'm certain everyone gives them the same story - Sorry, I forgot. I'm not saying you did it deliberately of course, just that I'm not sure how they could practice discretion. After all, as you had no MOT it's also highly likely your insurance was invalid and so just think what could have happened. I'm guessing they did actually practice some discretion in not pursuing that aspect and clearly they did in letting you off on the number plates.

The current fine for illegal plates is £60 I believe but no points.

Sorry for what must have turned out to be a bad day for you but it seems it could have been a whole lot worse.

Regards,

Cheers Dave. Yes I agree its my fault on the MOT which is why I didnt bother arguing against it.

They had the lights flashing and were pointing me to pull over so I did. It was a safe place to stop in that its a large main road with double-lanes for other drivers to pass, but I rememberd on the way back that it was probably a double-red!

The Police never direct you to stop anywhere, the onus is entirely on you the driver to stop somewhere safely and legally. Therefore if you are caught on camera stopping on a red route you will be liable for any asscociated fine or prosecution. I know instances where drivers have pulled over parked on crossing Zig Zags and the officer carrying out the stop added that to the offences committed.

Fine, but as the police didn't 'nick' him for where he stopped and they proceeded to deal with him there, he cannot be subsequently prosecuted for it - by any body. As for the police never directing you where to stop, that's simply not correct. Maybe they're not supposed to and they might not tell you the specific inch of road to stop on but you only have to watch one of the many traffic cop programmes on the TV to hear them doing it - many times.

Are you suggesting that the OP should have continued driving until he could turn off the red route and that such a course of action would have 'impressed' the officers? :)

Regards,

Are you suggesting that the OP should have continued driving until he could turn off the red route and that such a course of action would have 'impressed' the officers? :)

Regards,

Yes, if you put your hand up to acknowledge you have seen them and don't speed up that's exactly what should be done. It takes a lot for them to decide you are making off..

The same kind of law abiding citizen that doesn't bother to get his car MOT'd and drives with dodgy plates on?
I think that they have been very lenient with you.
What if you had run somebody over? When the car isn't roadworthy?

It amazes me how many people come out with the ' I pay my taxes, I should be able to get away with what I want' line:rolleyes:

quiet night for them id assume then.

oh well , i took my superior metal pressed reflective TUV approved german number plates off a while back after my dad got stoped by jobsworth plod to have them changed. He questioned if he could read the plate to write up the ticket but was told he could but the plates didnt have the kitemark and that was it..

Hard luck. Maybe someone with a bit of cash will take them to court and get a technicality of them being allowed under European type approval as per Xenons.

Until then , go back to your crappy plastic pieces of junk we call number plates :(

Wow since when did this become a forum for the moral police?! I know its Monday morning, but let's keep calm everyone!

Yes they do :) ill dig out the info in a tick.

Am sure licence plates can be made of ANY material as long as they conform to EU legislation of font and reflectivity.

I have seen metal, plastic and 'proper' carbon fibre ones

Aye, best get yourself a proper set made up somewhere, you'll need your V5 as technically the German ones shouldn't pass an MOT.

If you must have German plates on at least keep the proper ones in the boot and claim you've been to a show/forgot to swap them over again/do it at the side of the road.

If you have a private plate they can take it off you if you get stopped 3 times for plate offences by the way.

m.

There is a world of difference between the 'book' and the reality and immediacy of a real life situation such as this. In reality, officers regularly indicate to drivers the proximity of where to stop and in reality they wouldn't take kindly to someone not doing so whether they acknowledge their presence or not.

While some know-it-all perfectionists might like to think I'm talking out of my backside, and while I'm not and never have been a traffic officer, I do have some close connections :) In any event and yet again, you only have to watch one of the many traffic cop programmes to see the reality of this over and over again.

As I said to the OP, and on topic, I firmly believe he cannot be subsequently prosecuted by anyone for stopping under the instructions of the police.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom