Offline Folders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

imadoofus

MB Enthusiast
Car
This and that.
I think I may have asked this before, some time ago, but here goes:

There are some folders on a server running Win Server 2003, accessible by users (using Win XP Pro) who connect to the server via a VPN client. They have these folders set to "Make Available Offline".

What would make those folders not synchronise fully when a users connects?

TIA

PJ

Last edited:
Remove the "Make Available Offline" option - this will mean the folders will only be available to them when they are connected through VPN and will not synchronise each time they connect.

In fact afaik it will remove the localy stored versions next time they connect with the option removed on the server.

I'm not clear on the question.

Do you want to stop them doing this or are you saying that the synchronisation errors out?

Sorry guys, not being very clear...

In some cases, sync doesn't seem to work, and I'm asking why that might be. It doesn't error out, it's just that in some cases (no pattern identified), it just doesn't update a particular folder.

If the user is on the LAN, the sync works fine, but remotely it doesn't always.

Thanks

PJ

imadoofus said:
If the user is on the LAN, the sync works fine, but remotely it doesn't always.

Thanks

PJ

What are the WINS settings for the VPN connection?...not 100% sure, but I think this is controled by the browser service.

WLeg said:
What are the WINS settings for the VPN connection?...not 100% sure, but I think this is controled by the browser service.

Dunno. That's controlled by their corporate IT bods. They've been given a VPN client to use, and they're all set up in a particular "group" of authorised users, such that they can only get onto thier server, and other corporate users can only get onto their own too.

Is that the key to this do you think?

PJ

When they connect over VPN do they run a login script to map to the shares where the offline folder is kept or are they permanent mappings.

Do they run the VPN software and connect *before* logging into windows or after logging in? What VPN software is it?

The virtual network adapter belonging to the VPN software, where does this appear in the adapter binding order?

More than likely they're logging on and then connecting via the VPN after, which is the only way they can connect. They should log off once connected and log on again, which will run logon scripts etc if used.

Synchronisation will probably fail at log on, so sync again and it should be fine.

Sp!ke said:
When they connect over VPN do they run a login script to map to the shares where the offline folder is kept or are they permanent mappings.

Do they run the VPN software and connect *before* logging into windows or after logging in? What VPN software is it?

The virtual network adapter belonging to the VPN software, where does this appear in the adapter binding order?

1) They don't run a login script. the maps are permanent, but there's also a script file for each user on the server.

2) They run the VPN client from within Windows. Don't know what software it is (iClient?)

3) Huh?

PJ

Chris_J said:
Synchronisation will probably fail at log on, so sync again and it should be fine.

Sync doesn't 'fail' as such; it just doesn't do anything.

PJ

Try the log off and log on again once connected via the vpn.

It does nothing as if the PC was offline? (like it doesnt see the folder) Sounds to me like there are connection issues with the vpn client.

1.If the client logs in and then opens the VPN tunnel, Windows authenticated the password locally and not with the domain controller. The gateway, DNS and WINS were therefore initially provided by the ISP up until the tunnel was opened. If the VPN software could be run prior to logon, windows will authenticate with a domain controller (you have a Domain I take it) and things become far more reliable... It will authenticate correctly, apply mapped shares, group policies, login scripts will run and the TCP stack will be allocated in the correct fashion. Most VPN software allows this option of logging in after running the vpn software - its worth checking this out as selecting this option makes the tunnel much more reliable. What Chris is suggesting would be a viable workaround in theory, it just depends if the tunnel remains up after logoff - some do, some dont.

2.Usually, VPN software uses a virtual IP address using a virtual adapter. Once the tunnel is opened this virtual IP address will be assigned the correct corporate tcp settings. If the binding order for the virtual address is lower than the real adapter, the real adapter has a habit of taking priority so mapping shares often fails as the PC is looking at the wrong gateway.

If you go to Network connections, Advanced, Advanced Settings, Look at the connections and there should be a list of adapters. Select the local area connection that corresponds to the VPN client and use the arrows on the right to make the binding order higher than the real network adapter. This will help ensure that when the VPN software is run, windows should use the correct tcp settings and be able to see the network correctly as the virtual adapter will take priority.

3. Does the VPN software allow split tunnelling? If it does and the user doesnt need to access local resources like shares or printers locally then turn this option off as once again it makes things more robust. It also helps clear things up if the VPN concentrator uses a similar IP range to the address the client is actually on.

4. What transport method does the VPN client use? IPSEC over TCP or UDP? Some dsl routers dont like UDP... TCP is slower but a more reliable option should you have the control.

All or any of the above may help with your issues. Its worth working through them to see if they improve matters.

Last edited:
Thanks SP!ke, that looks like a comprehensive answer, but I think I'll have to refer it back to their IT guys (from whom they've had no joy in the past).

The VPN tunnel is to a corporate WAN, within which is the LAN they're connecting to. In other (luddite) words, they the VPN gets them inside the city walls, but they only have a key for one house once inside.

They can't log off once connected, because the client disconnects.

Theyu also have no control over VPN settings. They have a box requiring a password and that's it. They've been put into a 'group' by corporate IT, and it's them who control it all.

I'll go and ask them some of what you've asked me, and hope they don't realise that I've no idea what I'm on about.

Thanks (for the moment)

PJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom