Offside front tyre down to the cords

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
Working on my front bumper today I discovered the attached :eek::eek::eek:

Gutted as the rest of tyre has loads of life left in it :(

Gonna take it into garage as soon as I can, how dangerous is this?

It's not rubbing so it must be the alignment.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170626-202701.jpg
    Screenshot_20170626-202701.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 99
  • Screenshot_20170626-202654.jpg
    Screenshot_20170626-202654.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 92
I had exactly the same thing happen with my CLK. Needed lower control arms, but had already destroyed two perfectly good tyres in no time.

Make sure you make an appointment with whoever you take it to before you go, in case you get stopped in on the way (unless you've put the spare on already!).

Had exactly the same problem with my CLS this week. Perfectly good tyre (5mm) worn down to the cords right at the inside edge. Cost me a new tyre and got it re-tracked but wasn't confident that the geometry was right (pulling one way, jittery on some surfaces). So booked an appointment at Wheels in Motion and explained everything. The upshot was that after three new adjusting bolts (they actually have the genuine MB parts), correction of the caster and camber angles, and a 4 wheel geometry re-align I noticed the difference/improvement in the first 100yds of driving it. The drive home was a pleasure as the car was transformed - should have done it when I first got the car.

Tony at WIM is brilliant, his explanations make complete sense, they checked and assured me that nothing was worn or needed replacing, cannot recommend them highly enough. Interestingly on the way home around the M25 back to Essex I achieved the best fuel consumption that I have ever managed to get out of the car without actually trying to drive economically.

Had exactly the same problem with my CLS this week. Perfectly good tyre (5mm) worn down to the cords right at the inside edge. Cost me a new tyre and got it re-tracked but wasn't confident that the geometry was right (pulling one way, jittery on some surfaces). So booked an appointment at Wheels in Motion and explained everything. The upshot was that after three new adjusting bolts (they actually have the genuine MB parts), correction of the caster and camber angles, and a 4 wheel geometry re-align I noticed the difference/improvement in the first 100yds of driving it. The drive home was a pleasure as the car was transformed - should have done it when I first got the car.

Tony at WIM is brilliant, his explanations make complete sense, they checked and assured me that nothing was worn or needed replacing, cannot recommend them highly enough. Interestingly on the way home around the M25 back to Essex I achieved the best fuel consumption that I have ever managed to get out of the car without actually trying to drive economically.

Do you mind revealing how much this cost?
A ball park figure will do.

I reckon around £250?

£250 well spent :thumb:

When I had the coil-overs fitted to my S203, I had WiM set up the ride height and geometry. Excellent guys, who know suspensions inside out...

All wrong

£60 for the tracking

and £30 each for the bolts, they include the labour for removing the old ones and fitting the new ones in that price.

So all in £150+vat.

Some years ago when I fitted coilovers to my Lexus GS I had WIM set up the suspension for me and it drove more like a good hot hatch rather than the water bed on marbles it was before.

You will commit an offence if you drive on a public road with that tyre. 3 points and up to £1k fine. Swap the spare onto the car...

That wear looks odd, does not seem to be on a part of the tyre in contact with the road.

Then what do I know?

Let's hope not too an expensive fix.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Working on my front bumper today I discovered the attached :eek::eek::eek:

Gutted as the rest of tyre has loads of life left in it :(

It's not rubbing so it must be the alignment.

Are these the same tyres you used on the trip to the 'Ring?

Are you sure there's no rubbing, contact with suspension top mount? Yours is lowered isn't it?

Are these the same tyres you used on the trip to the 'Ring?

Are you sure there's no rubbing, contact with suspension top mount? Yours is lowered isn't it?

The wear in the picture was exactly the same as on mine - WIM said it was caused by the camber and castor being out. Nothing was touching any bodywork or suspension.

The wear in the picture was exactly the same as on mine - WIM said it was caused by the camber and castor being out. Nothing was touching any bodywork or suspension.

So, if the car has been lowered, quite probable. The geo on my CLS55 was way out until the ride height was corrected

Mine wore like this on the rear when I had the ride height set too low on my ELM

It was sometimes rubbing on the side of the wheel arch liners, which although only plastic were highly abrasive (like sand paper)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom