Oh Dear! TOTAL RECALL 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
Watched this last night. Special effects have vastly improved but not a patch on the original I'm afraid.
[YOUTUBE HD]sWMhADqlPYg[/YOUTUBE HD]

Aye.

It was ok but you can't beat the original.

Two weeks!

Visually more impressive but not a patch on the original IMHO

Kuato-Lives-RED.jpg

I think it's lazy of the film studios to keep rehashing existing movies; how many Spider Man movies have they made now?

I'd like to see a bit more original content; take a risk and it might just be huge!

Since the 'golden age' of cinema Hollywood has been remaking films it's nothing new.

Disappointing because I like Colin Farrell- got a golden globe for IN BRUGES .
Fraction of the budget but infinitely better. A must see if you haven't already.
[YOUTUBE HD]0jh2Xct8AMo[/YOUTUBE HD]

I thought it was terrible, like the recent Ghostbusters

They're redoing The Warriors soon also :eek:

Disappointing because I like Colin Farrell- got a golden globe for IN BRUGES .
Fraction of the budget but infinitely better. A must see if you haven't already.

The sort of film that is worth watching again.

I don't think remakes are necessarily a bad thing. But my feeling after watching the remakes of 'Total Recall' or 'Taking of Pelham 123' or 'Get Carter' was 'why?'. The remakes were not really worth it - they obviously put in the effort when making them but the originals stand better IMO.

The original Total Recall was more comic strip and less earnest in tone than the remake - but that's one of the aspects that made it stand out a bit.

As for the Marvel stuff. My recollection of the comics was that they took liberties with their audience in the past - and that's what the rehashes and rehashes of the films do as well.

On the other hand there are films that sometimes do work better second time around. The 2012 version of Judge Dredd is IMO better than the Stallone version (ironically the Stallone version is more comic strip and the Karl Urban version more earnest IMO - so what didn't work for the Total Recall remake did work for Dredd).

The problem with many modern remakes is the director gets carried away with his CGI effects to the extent that they eventually end up blunting the senses. Instead of plot and characterisation drawing the watcher closer they are overwhelmed by a torrent of images to the extent they eventually cease to care / forget about the fate of the main protagonists. :dk:

I'm always amazed the haven't done a remake of Jaws. Imagine the special effect they could come up with using CGI compared to the pathetic polystyrene sharks they used in the original?

Ant.

Anyone seen a film called Dune great film in it's day, and would make an excellent remake as well.
And I've often thought they'll redo Jaws some day and phyco
Scared the pants off me that one did

Anyone seen a film called Dune great film in it's day, and would make an excellent remake as well.
And I've often thought they'll redo Jaws some day and phyco
Scared the pants off me that one did

Why would these make an 'excellent remake?'.

Dune perhaps took some liberties with the underlying book - and it's perhaps more worthy of a planned series like LOTR - so I suspect it might well benefit from being redone.

Jaws worked in part because of the SFX problems they were having with the shark - which meant the focus was on the people and their reactions rather - and probably made it a better film. So why remake? Modern effects would probably undermine it rather than strengthen it.

And Psycho has become a seminal film - so any remake is doomed to failure simply because the original had such an impact.

I think there are films that could have been done better - if there are reasons to remake then these would be better candidates. So as an example - Prometheus is a good idea but incredibly badly executed. Scrub the old one - make a better one.

Why would these make an 'excellent remake?'.

Dune perhaps took some liberties with the underlying book - and it's perhaps more worthy of a planned series like LOTR - so I suspect it might well benefit from being redone.

Jaws worked in part because of the SFX problems they were having with the shark - which meant the focus was on the people and their reactions rather - and probably made it a better film. So why remake? Modern effects would probably undermine it rather than strengthen it.

And Psycho has become a seminal film - so any remake is doomed to failure simply because the original had such an impact.

I think there are films that could have been done better - if there are reasons to remake then these would be better candidates. So as an example - Prometheus is a good idea but incredibly badly executed. Scrub the old one - make a better one.

I don't think Jaws was a great film, fairly lame by today's standards. Story was ok but the shark was laughable. Hence the suggestion of a remake with GCI help.

Now The Shinning was amazing even to watch today. i don't think they could better it.

Watched the remake of The Magnificent Seven the other day and really enjoyed it, but the original is still the best one though, my two lads would disagree as thought the original film was rubbish:eek:
And yes I'll have to agree psycho would be doomed to fail as they'd never be able to recreate the atmosphere of the original. But fined it quite hard to watch now.
As for Prometheus think they are already making a second follow up film :D
Cheers Ben :thumb:

I don't think Jaws was a great film, fairly lame by today's standards. Story was ok but the shark was laughable. Hence the suggestion of a remake with GCI help.

There is also the issue of blood and gore. Films since have become bloodier so Jaws has lost some of its impact. I still remember the kerfuffle that Alien caused (what? three or four years after Jaws) and by today's standards Alien isn't really very shocking.

Now The Shinning was amazing even to watch today. i don't think they could better it.

Is the impact of The Shining not mainly down to the acting as well as the direction.

I notice that the Magificent Seven and Ben Hur have been remade. I can't see any reason to have done the Magnificent Seven as a western - better to think of it as being based on the Seven Samurai and do a contemporary version set in a modern times. (It's sort of done as a sci-fi already with Battle Beyond the Stars -- which was rather too forgetable). And Ben Hur is too closely linked with Charlton Heston.

Watched this last night. Special effects have vastly improved but not a patch on the original I'm afraid.
[YOUTUBE HD]sWMhADqlPYg[/YOUTUBE HD]

Total Recall the remake was hopelessly rubish as was Robo Cop, the things they can do with effects these days are so realistic their unreal.

But the clip in thE original T/R where Arnold pulls that tracking device through his noise still makes me cringe even though it's so false :D

Watched the remake of The Magnificent Seven the other day and really enjoyed it, but the original is still the best one though, my two lads would disagree as thought the original film was rubbish:eek:

I think this crossed with my earlier reply on the Magificent Seven.

I would say that the original has probably lost some impact now. And it's initial pace and build up is quite slow.

But then it is also sentimental. (As well as being a washing up powder advert for the farmers whiter than white cothing.)

I guess in the modern erq you can't go much wrong with Denzel Washington (or perhaps not - judging by the Equalizer maybe you can if you try hard enough).

As for Prometheus think they are already making a second follow up film :D
Yes. Pity about the first though. Big opportunity just squandered. Not sure what his Ridley'ness was thinking on that one.

My last BMW was subject to a recall, not sure if all of them were though.

Sorry about this:

An elephant was drinking out of a pond one day, when he spotted a turtle asleep on a log. Without warning, he strolled over and flicked it clear out of sight with his trunk.

"What did you do that for?" asked a passing aardvark.

"Because I recognized it... It's the same turtle that took a nip out of my trunk 53 years ago."

"Wow, what a memory!" exclaimed the aardvark.

"Yes," said the elephant. "Turtle recall."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom