Oh dear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ted

MB Enthusiast
Car
Lexus RC300h F-Sport, Yamaha XVS 1100, Toyota C-HR GR sport
Mrs Ted has just made the Christmas cake from this recipe in this month's Prima.
I kid you not.

View attachment 39439

Last edited:
Well, it's got 400ml of brandy in it... can't be all that bad!!

About right time - gives plenty of time for the cake to mature. I suggest Mrs Ted soaks it regularly in very fine cognac or armagnac for a really moist result.

A little while before Stir up Sunday for the pud.

She ran out of brandy and put a good deal of

View attachment 39440

In it.

400ml!!!

Last edited:
800kCal per serving!! At least you will have the comfort of knowing the marzipan and icing are actually reducing the per-bite damage...

Look on the bright side: you can buy some decent stuff now.

Any spirit works well, I suspect a nice bourbon would be a good idea, or indeed for freshness, an Eau de Vie. I have considerable stocks of Romanian plum brandy (distilled by my friend's family) and it would work very well I suspect. Most Christmas cakes are too heavy and verge on the bitter with all that caramelised dark fruit, adding further caramel tasting drink like cheap brandy is a bit too samey.

Hmmmm. I have some excellent bourbon (Woodford reserve), but there is no way that is going into a cake.
Certainly not one which already has 400ml of alcohol in already.

The cake looks surprisingly firm this morning. I was expecting to have to put it through the mixer and make Christmas cake ice cream.

400ml at 40%, should make for a nice afternoons entertainment.

Mrs Ted has declared that the cake is fit for eating, but she will not be 'feeding' it (good job as she's used half of my stash)

Can't wait for Christmas. Hope we invite grandma Noreen round. She loves Christmas cake.

Should keep you regular with all that fruit in it.

I wouldn't stray too far from a lav the next day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom