Oh God! Not another new bloke!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fartin' martin

Car
1997 Vito 108D 2.2
Greetings to one'n'all

After what seems to be a century or so driving, I've bought myself a Merc. It's a 1997 Vito 108D with a 2.3 diesel engine. The last diesel I worked on was big, camo'd & had a gun on the top.

As a new guy to this make, I have of course, loads of questions.

Can I assume that my new toy has a timing chain and not a cambelt? And has it got self adjusting tappets? My last diesel never had either!

Also, would any of you kind gentlefolk out there tell me where I can locate the coolant temperature sender on my engine? The temperature gauge doesn't work, but the thermostat does.

I've spoken to the local dealers and they reckon it's near the water pump, but I can't see anything. It can't be near the thermostat 'cause I can't find any wires running to it.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry, dont know the answers to your questions, but nice intro! Welcome!

Hi and welcome!

Being picky, it will be a 2.2 rather than a 2.3 (unless it's had a different engine put in :D). It will have a cam chain, not a belt.

Can't help with the rest - sorry! But I'm sure someone who can will be along shortly :)

Don't you worry about being picky Bill! At this stage I am happy for all the info I can get, especially as I can't seem to find a manual for it.

You are quite right. It's 2299cc. I wonder if it's the same engine that's in the sprinter?

The 2.2 CDI engine is widely used, however it's mounted transversely in the FWD 638 Vito as opposed to longitudinally in all the other (RWD) Mercs that use it. So while the basic engine is the same, the position of some ancillaries could be different in the Vito.

TBH it might be worth starting a new thread about the location of the temp. sender etc. in the Technical/Engine area. You might get a better response there .. I suspect not everybody reads new member intros!

Hi,welcome to the forum:thumb:

Welcome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom