Oh no, this could be a problem...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Excellent David - enjoy the test drive. The VAG DSG box is not an AMT however, it is a Dual Clutch Transmission. They've had a couple of designs of their DSGs in production - both wet and dry dual clutch versions - but an Automated Manual it is not. I am pretty certain that you'll not be disappointed with the Speedshift MCT.

After driving various versions of Mercedes gearboxes, two seven speed V6 diesels, an R172 SLK55 speeded up 7 speed, and the 7 speed MCT in my w205 C63 and a couple of VAG products, namely a DSG Audi S5 and a Boxster PDK I would say the two biggest hesitations are using the gearbox in 'C' ie the car starts in 2nd, and my brain/right foot. The 4 Mercs produced massive amounts of low down torque and I'm always aware of spinning the rear wheels, so I think you drive accordingly. If you start in 'S' you remove any issues with the car, it starts off in 1st, and then it's all up to you and how hard you want to stamp on the throttle to get out of a junction......hopefully not sideways.

In terms of the gearboxes, I would say the MCT is the best overall compromise, good in auto, be it in C, S or S+, and pretty good in manual with the paddles. The plain autos were great with big diesel engines for refinement, but manual driving was a waste of time. The SLK was the interesting one, being great in auto, but still not good enough in manual for a sports car too slow witted....however you get used to having to change down a long way before a corner or roundabout.

The PDK is the best gearbox in manual, with ultra rapid gear shifts, but it never really feels comfortable in auto. The Audi DSG was pretty crap all round really, not smooth in auto and really lumpy and abrupt in manual wouldn't bet on a DSG gearbox lasting too long without issues.

So there you have it in my opinion, best all rounder Merc MCT, best auto box in manual Porsche PDK.

RR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom