Oh no, what have I done??

• Thread starter Deleted member 11979
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
First track day? I'd put L plates on front and back...

Not for me I’m afraid far too precious about my car.

It’s easy to push your car further than you would on the road and find yourself running out of brakes or road.

If you go though do enjoy yourself and give us some feedback.

Robin

Thanks for the replies chaps, some good tips, especially the insurance related one!

I will definitely be going and as advised will drive within my comfort zone, the car is pretty quick but heavy so not nimble at all.

Regard being faster or slower than the c43, we always think each other’s car is the quicker, I have more torque by a long way, similar bhp but he is clearly a good deal lighter, and the car is much smaller, especially in width, so I still think he’ll have the edge on the track.

Straight line off the lights to max speed, maybe I’d get him as the speed built? Who knows

Have fun but take care, and if you think... "Ok, just one more go!" That's the time to quit.

Some bullet points that I hope are of interest:
- Remove anything from the car that is not nailed down.
- Bump tyre pressures up as mentioned already.
- Avoid using the parking brake when you finish a run and park in the paddock. Either park in-gear or wedge a small child under one of the wheels.
- Pay attention at the driver briefing and don't be afraid to ask questions as other beginners will be thinking the same as you.
- Pretty much every road car is set up to understeer. So pay attention to your steering wheel, it will let you know when the front tyres are struggling (which they will).
- Be slow into a corner and fast out, rather than fast in and then straight on into a barrier on the exit.
- It's very easy to run out of brakes if you get too 'enthusiastic', especially if your brakes are standard and not in tip-top condition.
- When braking for a corner, apply firm pressure initially and then ease off as the car slows down. At turn in, your foot should have come off the brake pedal. Brake only in a straight line.
- With a rear wheel drive car, ease on the gas from the apex unless the front is still struggling for grip.
- Be patient, be gentle with the car.
- Avoid turning in too early as this leads to a wide exit, especially with late apex corners.
- If you're taking a passenger, take some sick bags as not everyone enjoys being driven quickly.

^^^^ All good advice. Quarry after Avon rise is very unforgiving if you leave the tarmac, the tyre covered crash barriers get closer to the track as you exit the corner giving you less run off.

I have never 'done' Coombe in a car but many time on a motorcycle. It is a lot safer now the chicane is in place on farm straight , back in the day you could arrive at Tower bend as silly speed. From Camp corner to Avon rise through Folly even in a road car you will be arriving at the rise going pretty quick so pay attention to your brakes before Quarry.

On some mixed track days some of the cars out there are cheap and cheerful 'track' cars , I once saw 2 lads flying round in a Vauxhall GSi saloon that looked like it had been stolen. They were having a whale of a time...everyone else in their 'pride a joy' were giving them a VERY wide berth !

Go easy , listen to the briefing, check out Castle Coombe circuit website I think they have virtual laps on there. Enjoy.

Geejayw and Petrolpete, thank you very much, useful advice

You will need to have both front a rear towing points readily identifiable, the front is usually a screw in one in the boot which should be fitted. This was a requirement the last time i visited Oulton Park

Pushing some fresh brake fluid through the system is a good idea if the brakes are going to be pummelled.
What’s your tyres treads like if they are lowish now they might be bald when you finish . Hope your not running budgets .

Brilliant !!!
Lots of good advice and humor here !!!
As a newbie I'll volunteer to look after the dogs and my wife says she'll look after the kids :)

Good luck and keep us informed :)

What’s your tyres treads like if they are lowish now they might be bald when you finish . Hope your not running budgets .
The tyres are relatively new Michelins, they are the skinniest you can get in an F11 BMW, 225 wide, they do test the traction control actually

^^ I did a motorbike track day (full circuit) at Donnington park some years ago, my front tyre was 100% legal but I thought it would need replacing very soon. As it happened a tyre changing van was going to be on site both selling tyres or fitting rider supplied tyres for a small fee, I took a brand new front with me in the van , the rear was new.

The tyre guy never showed up. After 4 x 4 lap sessions the front tyre was toast, the rear not much better. I tip toed around the last sessions praying that it would not rain or an official wouldn't notice my cooked front tyre. It was the first track day I ever did taking the bike in a van..that helped me get home in one piece thank God.

Go prepared.

Some bullet points that I hope are of interest:
- Remove anything from the car that is not nailed down.
- Bump tyre pressures up as mentioned already.
- Avoid using the parking brake when you finish a run and park in the paddock. Either park in-gear or wedge a small child under one of the wheels.
- Pay attention at the driver briefing and don't be afraid to ask questions as other beginners will be thinking the same as you.
- Pretty much every road car is set up to understeer. So pay attention to your steering wheel, it will let you know when the front tyres are struggling (which they will).
- Be slow into a corner and fast out, rather than fast in and then straight on into a barrier on the exit.
- It's very easy to run out of brakes if you get too 'enthusiastic', especially if your brakes are standard and not in tip-top condition.
- When braking for a corner, apply firm pressure initially and then ease off as the car slows down. At turn in, your foot should have come off the brake pedal. Brake only in a straight line.
- With a rear wheel drive car, ease on the gas from the apex unless the front is still struggling for grip.
- Be patient, be gentle with the car.
- Avoid turning in too early as this leads to a wide exit, especially with late apex corners.
- If you're taking a passenger, take some sick bags as not everyone enjoys being driven quickly.

Excellent advice here most likely gained by good doses of reality with healthy portions of, been there, done that

Fun turns to tears very quickly when these things go wrong (and they often do). Following the advice above keeps you on the fun side and will see you wanting to return.

Most that get it wrong do so by pushing that little, tiny bit harder than they are used to. So when the car lets go, they are immediately on the way to the scene of the accident. The problem is, it is this “push” that makes it fun (apart from any crashing bits).

It can only really go one of two ways ;^)

1) fun and home, safe and well
2) not so much fun and “why did I try that?

Go for No1 unless you are Kent somebody else’s car ;^)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent advice here most likely gained by good doses of reality with healthy portions of, been there, done that

Fun turns to tears very quickly when these things go wrong (and they often do). Following the advice above keeps you on the fun side and will see you wanting to return.

Most that get it wrong do so by pushing that little, tiny bit harder than they are used to. So when the car lets go, they are immediately on the way to the scene of the accident. The problem is, it is this “push” that makes it fun (apart from any crashing bits).

It can only really go one of two ways ;^)

1) fun and home, safe and well
2) not so much fun and “why did I try that?

Go for No1 unless you are Kent somebody else’s car ;^)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the nod.

Oddly perhaps, aside from a single-seater experience at Oulton Park and a few karting sessions including Three Sisters near Wigan, I've never done a trackday as such.

However, from the 80's through to 2013, I did many many miles/laps in many different road cars on a number of circuits as part of the test programmes (mainly fuels R&D for this type of work) that I was involved with. Tracks including, Anglesey, Silverstone, Le Mans (Bugatti Circuit), Oschersleben, Millbrook, MIRA and a few private track facilities including one that belonged to us. Cars from Skoda to Ferrari. Also in that time, I've been on a number of driver training courses, including skid pan work and had some instruction from guys that know how to pedal.

That said, I'm by no means the quickest driver out there. One of my former colleagues has raced for years and was British champion in his category a few times. He is quick. Trying to keep up with him in kart was an object lesson in just how cr*p I am.. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if anybody has said this but drive your own race, don't live up to somebody elses opinion of how you should be. Enjoy it for what it is, enjoy yourself so you laugh.
Go to the drivers briefing and have someone you can ask questions of that won't make you feel small.
When cars are raining down on you hold your line - no sudden moves!

If you find yourself going faster and faster and are enjoying it look at the road horizon more and more and not so much the road in between the car and the road horizon. Have faith, the brain is an amazing machine, this should show you just how amazing it is. Keep an eye on your braking points you'll become so enthusiastic you'll hardly have time to slow up! Stay smooth all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom