Oh, the embarrassment!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

del320

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
1996 E320 Coupe
So, we’ve been away to Pitlochry for a short break, and on Tuesday went for a run out over the hills by Glenshee to Braemar and Ballater.

The last time I visited the Linn of Dee must have been the best part of 45 years ago when a mate and I did the Lairig Ghru. I had to carry my Doberman pup over my shoulders to negotiate the boulder field at the summit.

Anyhoo, as we headed towards the Linn of Dee, a nasty rubbing, graunching sound started up around the front o/s wheel. My palms went clammy as I thought that seven miles up a dead end in the Cairngorms was not perhaps the best place for the wheel to fall off.

As I swept into the car-park I drew admiring looks from a group of walkers, so I acknowledged their consideration in stepping aside. At that very moment, there was a hellish sound of tearing metal and assorted clanking as my back wheel ran over debris on the track.

I stopped immediately and, leaping out, was met by one of the walkers who, helpfully handing me a chunk of mangled rusty metal, noted it had apparently fallen off the car.

Now, why, after only 155k miles and 25 years, the brake disc dust shield decided to let go then and there will forever remain a mystery – I thought C124 parts lasted forever...

I was riven with embarrassment, particularly when he commented on the car’s lovely condition.

Well, at least the nasty rubbing, graunching sound disappeared...

Linn of Dee.jpg

Dee and Cairngorms.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom