Oh the irony.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

baxlin

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skoda Octavia and JZR 3 wheeler
I’ve just been for a walk to buy a newspaper, and noticed a Mini Estate parked on a yellow line, during the 'no waiting' period.

On my way back, the Mini's still there but parked in front of it, still on the yellow line, is an ANPR snoop vehicle, an Aygo, as it happens. (Small car syndrome??) The driver is out of the car, booking the Mini.

The irony is that he was allowed to park there, while carrying out his duties, ie booking a car that wasn’t, yet he’s causing as much obstruction as the Mini (in fact doubling it). The yellow line is there for a reason, being opposite a small junction.

If he’d gone into a nearby shop, I’d’ve had him....(Di*k Dastardly laugh inserted here)

(I wouldn’t, I’m not that sort of bloke now, even though I did dob a couple of Traffic Wardens in it many years ago, just after I’d been nicked for parking........)

Mini might have broken down there ...

Mini might have broken down there ...
You still get a ticket. The fine will be cancelled after producing relevant evidence (letter from roadside assistance or garage).

I guess the council can't take a chance on this, or people would just stick a 'Broken down" sign on the windscreen whenever they park illegally...

Reactions: 219
If someone left a vehicle on my drive I would consider it a gift and dispose of as I saw fit .

If someone left a vehicle on my drive they'd be on their knees begging me to move mine to unblock theirs.

The irony is that he was allowed to park there, while carrying out his duties, ie booking a car that wasn’t,yet he’s causing as much obstruction as the Mini (in fact doubling it). The yellow line is there for a reason, being opposite a small junction.

Police are allowed to exceed speed limits to apprehend speeders, can shoot with lethal force to stop an armed person, etc, etc. Hardly ironic, it's a part of law enforcement.

The irony is that he was allowed to park there, while carrying out his duties, ie booking a car that wasn’t, yet he’s causing as much obstruction as the Mini (in fact doubling it). The yellow line is there for a reason, being opposite a small junction.

How can you block the already blocked?

Police are allowed to exceed speed limits to apprehend speeders, can shoot with lethal force to stop an armed person, etc, etc. Hardly ironic, it's a part of law enforcement.

This isn't the police and this isn't criminal law enforcement.

It's either someone from the local authority or a scrote from the private company that they've sold the enforcement contract to and both have an obvious vested interest in interpreting the rules to their own advantage and ignoring the rules whenever it suits them.

How can you block the already blocked?
Neither was actually blocking anything at the time, but as I said it was opposite a small junction, so difficult for HGVs.

And as said in post #10, not the same set of rules.

OK, different agency but how long was the Aygo parked there for? Where else could it have been parked, etc? How else does the operative travel to perform their duties? And on it goes....

Someone parks illegally, someone gets a ticket for parking illegally. What else do you want?

If it had a blue badge it could possibly be allowed to park there.

I had cause to call the police myself about two weeks ago. Mad man in a very distinctive W210 driving so close to my Smart at 70mph that I couldn't see his bonnet, swerving around me and others in any lane he chose to. When 'flashed' at by me he opted to start throwing objects out the sunroof into my path! Had to swerve to avoid them. I let him disappear having clocked him on my dash cam and remembered the index plate. the young lady at the Police control centre dispatched a car. Sadly I had to leave the motorway so didn't see him again.

I remember a discussion with a traffic warden some years back. If a vehicle is stopped on double yellow lines but the driver is near or in the vehicle, is he parked or just stopped? Double yellow is no parking, not sure about no stopping or else we could all get done if in a traffic jam. :D :D

The councils are cashing in on tickets in a big way; their most recent stunt in my nearest country town borders on its legality, if taken to court - IMO.

I remember a discussion with a traffic warden some years back. If a vehicle is stopped on double yellow lines but the driver is near or in the vehicle, is he parked or just stopped? Double yellow is no parking, not sure about no stopping or else we could all get done if in a traffic jam. :D :D

If the driver is stopping to pick up or set down a passenger , he may get out to assist them if needed , or to load/unload luggage , as long as he is not stopped for more than two minutes .

A single yellow line is no waiting during the working day ; double yellow lines no waiting at any time . Stopping is permitted to pick up or set down passengers . Loading restrictions are indicated by either a single yellow bar crossing the kerb ( no loading during the working day ) or double yellow bars crossing the kerb ( no loading at any time ) . A Clearway ( no stopping ) is denoted by the circular sign with blue background , red border and a red cross . As with all of the above signage , there can be other signs qualifying the times of operation , which may be times of day , times of year or days of week .

Last edited:
Why would an ANPR vehicle need to stop to book an illegally parked car?

isn't the whole point of the technology that the ticket can be issued based on the camera evidence?

From my local authority page:
A parking enforcement camera van will be used to help reduce illegal parking.
The camera van is clearly marked. It is fitted with a camera and automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) technology to capture any parking infringements.

IIRC , if acting as a parking warden , he has to observe the vehicle for more than two minutes in order to determine that it is indeed 'waiting' and not merely stopped .

I’ve just been for a walk to buy a newspaper....

Just out of interest , how many on here still buy printed newspapers ?

I read everything online and can't remember buying one in many years ; I do remember my mother in law asking scathingly ' do you people NEVER buy a newspaper ? ' because there were none in our house , and we replied ' NO ' .

Just asked colleagues in the office , and no one here does either .

Just curious .

Just out of interest , how many on here still buy printed newspapers ?

Me. A big fat one on a Saturday and take the week to read it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom