oil and amp gauges

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ricardo62

Car
e320
Hi just was wodering why oil and ammeter gauges are no longer fitted in cars or trucks for that matter, in my opinion I would like to know what oil pressure and amps my oil pump and alternator is producing , I don't understand why manufacturers have replaced them with lights that only come on when the fault is terminal ? your thoughts ?

ricardo62 said:
Hi just was wodering why oil and ammeter gauges are no longer fitted in cars or trucks for that matter, in my opinion I would like to know what oil pressure and amps my oil pump and alternator is producing , I don't understand why manufacturers have replaced them with lights that only come on when the fault is terminal ? your thoughts ?

Couple of reasons, one is obviously cost, the other is that too much info would confuse/worry some people.
What if you had little or no pressure at tickover? What about when cold? How much is too much?
Mercedes oil gauges only went up to iirc 3 bar, as it was thought that as long as the engine could achieve this, you didn't need to know any more.
Similar story with ammeters. Apart from the fact thAt they needed heavy cabling to/from them, to the average person they don't tell a lot.
If all is ok and your battery is fully charged, they will actually read zero. They aren't accurate enough to show a permanent discharge.
Voltmeters were used instead for a number of years and were more useful to the average driver, but have been phased out.
You can now get an led display from Halfords for around a tenner which will tell you all you need to know.

All the time and attention spent on staring at an ammeter wondering if the alternator is working properly or at an oil pressure gauge that's slightly high, is time and attention not spent looking for pedestrians and motorcyclists.

Couple of reasons, one is obviously cost, the other is that too much info would confuse/worry some people.
What if you had little or no pressure at tickover? What about when cold? How much is too much?
Mercedes oil gauges only went up to iirc 3 bar, as it was thought that as long as the engine could achieve this, you didn't need to know any more.
Similar story with ammeters. Apart from the fact thAt they needed heavy cabling to/from them, to the average person they don't tell a lot.
If all is ok and your battery is fully charged, they will actually read zero. They aren't accurate enough to show a permanent discharge.
Voltmeters were used instead for a number of years and were more useful to the average driver, but have been phased out.
You can now get an led display from Halfords for around a tenner which will tell you all you need to know.
Thanks for reply , I guess cost is a reason but surely it wldnt add much to add a oil gauge ok forget about ammeter , and I dnt think people wld get confused , I mean they had them in the old days and people managed , its just my opinion and I would like a oil gauge ? ok thanks for answering my ?

And there are warning light/beeps in the event of a problem.

All the time and attention spent on staring at an ammeter wondering if the alternator is working properly or at an oil pressure gauge that's slightly high, is time and attention not spent looking for pedestrians and motorcyclists.
Stratman that's a bit ott ! I don't think I would be staring at the gauge constantly just a glance now and again like looking at speedo?

I think that modern mercs still have means of putting a figure on the oil pressure and Battery monitoring Volts though it is within the diagnostic programme.

The Astra Deisel estate I drive every working day :( doesn't even have a temp guage,

I'm not quite sure of the value of oil pressure guages since by the time a readout which warns you of impending failure appears it's probably too late anyway. You also need a lot of background information to understand what's going on. The engine in an MGB, for instance, should not show below 50 psi when hot and running at anything above a fast idle, but the engine in a Bentley like mine rarely exceeds 25, and at idle shows very little. About the only use of an oil pressure guage is if it suddenly drops and recovers on quick cornering, you might be running out of oil.

If you are mainly concerned with enhancing the appearance of your dashboard, Halfords et al sell a variety of gauges including oil pressure and Amps.
They will of course also privide an indication of oil pressure and Amps!

If you are mainly concerned with enhancing the appearance of your dashboard, Halfords et al sell a variety of gauges including oil pressure and Amps.
They will of course also privide an indication of oil pressure and Amps!
Yes but Im not interested in retro fitting gauges , I would like a oil gauge fitted by the manufacturer ,but ive been told why they don't , its just me I wld like an oil gauge to view so I can see my oil pressure , I guess its just a personal opinion , I remember years ago most cars came with a set of gauges and in the last 20 yrs they have been replaced with a light ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom