Oil be filtered

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tonyze

Car
c-class
Hi,
C220d, S205, OM651, 2016, 18,500miles.
Filters...
Oil, air, fuel, cabin; what is opinion on these?
OE or good quality aftermarket, Mann, Bosch?
I will be doing a service on my car in next few days. Got my oil MB229.51 20 liters (£65). However, OE filters are pricey! Do Mercedes make filters? Think we know the answer, so who make filters for Mercedes would be better question. (Better still, why do OE boxes cost so much? Are car manufactures being ripped off?)
4 year service so need all 4 filters. Always use best quality available, but I dislike paying over the odds for cardboard - as we all do. I can get oil, fuel, air and cabin
"Mann" filters for £106 inclusive.
I'd be very grateful for your opinion, and any links to suppliers of filters.
All the best to all

Mann are an OE supplier to MB. I'd go with them.

As you say, you pay a premium just to get the same part in an MB box. Some people say they always buy parts from MB 'because they're better'; presumably this includes consumables like filters and spark plugs, which have the same manufacturer's code on them whether they come from an eBay supplier or the main dealer - the only differences are the box, the MB logo on them (if there is one), and of course the prices. I've seen these same people opine that the MB-supplied parts are a better quality; my opinion is that they're fools if they believe that...

Hi,
C220d, S205, OM651, 2016, 18,500miles.
Filters...
Oil, air, fuel, cabin; what is opinion on these?
OE or good quality aftermarket, Mann, Bosch?
I will be doing a service on my car in next few days. Got my oil MB229.51 20 liters (£65). However, OE filters are pricey! Do Mercedes make filters? Think we know the answer, so who make filters for Mercedes would be better question. (Better still, why do OE boxes cost so much? Are car manufactures being ripped off?)
4 year service so need all 4 filters. Always use best quality available, but I dislike paying over the odds for cardboard - as we all do. I can get oil, fuel, air and cabin
"Mann" filters for £106 inclusive.
I'd be very grateful for your opinion, and any links to suppliers of filters.
All the best to all

For your car/engine in particular the OEM air and oil filters are made by Mahle, the OEM fuel and cabin filters are made by Mann.

To be honest you won’t have issues with any ‘premium’ filters for example Mann, Mahle, Hengst, Bosch etc.

Thanks lads. Just what I thought, but I appreciate you taking the time to reply. It’s good to get second opinions and extra info. Every day should be a school day!

I always use Bosch filters from Euro Car Parts.
Do you need to replace the cabin filter after only 18,500 miles ? They are expensive and probably good for a few more years .

I always use Bosch filters from Euro Car Parts.
Do you need to replace the cabin filter after only 18,500 miles ? They are expensive and probably good for a few more years .
Normally every 2 years buddy , the Mann frecious filter is the one to go for .

Normally every 2 years buddy , the Mann frecious filter is the one to go for .
Yes but in 18,000 miles, and it was probably changes 2 years ago anyway, that’s a bit overkill.
I bought a new Motorhome 2 years ago, Peugeot wanted to change my cabin filter on the 2 year service for £96, I changed it myself and the old one was hardly dirty, could have left it there for another 2 years at least for how hard it works.

Yes but in 18,000 miles, and it was probably changes 2 years ago anyway, that’s a bit overkill.
I bought a new Motorhome 2 years ago, Peugeot wanted to change my cabin filter on the 2 year service for £96, I changed it myself and the old one was hardly dirty, could have left it there for another 2 years at least for how hard it works.
At that price I see what you mean , I can get mine through ECP or the like for under £20 in sales so I change well under 2 years , but as I diy service it’s all cheap as there is no labour costs

One that concerns me is fuel filter. As you all have noted 18500 miles is minimal ( COVID restrictions have lead to this) so, apart from cutting the filter open how can I see its condition, but why do I need to change this. By the way I’ve bought all 4 from carparts4less on net and will be delivered on Monday.
I will inspect cabin filter and if ok, in my opinion,will not change it. Just inspect till needs changed.
Once again TA for replies.

When doing my own servicing, I always use the parts purchased from the Mercedes main dealerships. After all, the savings is in the labour in doing your own servicing - the savings in buying genuine parts vs OEM parts is small in comparison. It is worth paying a little more for the peace of mind and not having to worry if the OEM is really as good.

Just my two cents...

One that concerns me is fuel filter. As you all have noted 18500 miles is minimal ( COVID restrictions have lead to this) so, apart from cutting the filter open how can I see its condition, but why do I need to change this. By the way I’ve bought all 4 from carparts4less on net and will be delivered on Monday.
I will inspect cabin filter and if ok, in my opinion,will not change it. Just inspect till needs changed.

I would change it regardless as the suggestion is the best on the market as it also filters ozone , nitrogen oxides and diesel particulates .

All my immediate family have one fitted .

I think my E class fuel filter is about 4 years/50k miles as a schedule , I probably do it every 2 years because it costs 30 quid , but I would happily leave it if I was busy.

Mine was missed somehow and wasn’t changed for 115k miles and had no issues so it wouldn’t be the end of the world if slightly over the internal (imo)

Thanks for your two cents, Wongl, that’s what is so important: to get all opinions.
My fuel filter is £89. So, hence the question. But I also have faith in what the car manufacturers engineers specify. Your comment, Gazwould is valid, and I’m left wondering why the 4 year change and not 50k - which I’d normally do. Does the filter deteriorate with age? Surely the rate at which it “clogs” is only related to amount of fuel passed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom