Oil breather pipe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spera

Car
2002 E CLASS 270CDI AUTO AVANTGARDE
I recently replaced the parts seen in the photos below including the pins as these were saturated with oil.However after 3 weeks of driving I seem to have a film of oil over it. So I have a couple of questions that I would be grateful if can be answered.

This end pushes onto a metal section in engine where the oil seems to come from. Should it have a jubilee clip on it as there wasn't anything on this one that I took off.
oil breather pipe 1.JPG
This pipe part has what looks like a copper centre , this pipe I also replaced along with new plug on the wire that attaches to these pins.
pipe2.JPG
These are the 2 pipes that attach to each other.The other end of the plug pipe attaches to the u bend hose near the bend that attaches to the turbo with orange seal. The other end of the u bend attaches to the air maf sensor.
pipe3.JPG

I only changed them as I found the pins to be full of oil , when I was checking the u bend and changing airmaf to fix limp mode.
What does this pipe with plug do ?
Should the end that goes into engine be fastened with anything ?
Is it normal for it to be oily ?
Would it have contributed to limp mode ?
What exactly does this pipe do/ measure etc
Also
When I removed the u bend pipe for 3rd time should I have changed the orange seal that attaches to turbo end as it was slightly oily ?
Sorry to be a pain but cant find the answers thanks Silvano

Last edited:
These are the oily parts I replaced
This is the small pipe(copper) and breather pipe
oil breather pipe 2.JPG
The corresponding plug
oil breather pipe 3.JPG

The u bend
You can see the breather pipe and the small pipe(copper) attached to it.
a6470940097.JPG

Any one answer the above please. I will be booking car in with Ian at 124Works next week for diff oil change and 2x bushes , so if no answers by then I shall mither Ian , he loves it.

id say a little oil is ok as its a self lubrucating system, however if its saturated id be looking elsewhere,
Its probably oil from the breather being blown out through the seals on the inlet duct on the turbo's return side.
most likely the oil pressure seals have worn on the turbo, they'res a high pressure oil feed going into the top of the turbo and a low pressure return pipe, both of these have copper seals,also where the turbo meets the crankcase, this is sealed with one too and if worn will fill all your pipes with oil.
by looking at the age of your car i'd say this is most likely it, they don't age too well.

i'd get ian to confirm this as im only trying to point you in the right direction

i own a G40 and the pipes are full of oil down to a similar setup, lol

also the answer to the first question you asked is no, its just a push fit with no jubilee clip, as for the others im not sure,

"These are the 2 pipes that attach to each other.The other end of the plug pipe attaches to the u bend hose near the bend that attaches to the turbo with orange seal. The other end of the u bend attaches to the air mac sensor".

that looks like the EGR valve return to the turbo inlet; by definition it's used to recirculate some of the exhaust gases into the engine and lower emissions... and the exhaust gas carries some soot/ oil back as well...

Thanks for feedback so far great answers thankyou. EGR valve return to the turbo inlet as per pictures above. If you look at the oily plug and pins on the second set of pictures that I replaced with new ones from main dealer, when feeding wires into the plug I accidentally touched them together and they sparked for a moment.Does anyone know if it has a fuse and if so which one/where located as it probably will have blown. Thanks Sil

im not sure about that one i'm afraid,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom