Oil central heating tank weeping?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Folks

I have a 2500 litre oil central heating tank. This is a square metal tank and is weeping in one corner.

Can these metal tanks be repaired?

I just had a company out to inspect it and they tell me I need:

A new tank
A new concrete base
Associated screening/ levelling etc

Basically it’s going to cost in the region of £2500 that I don’t have right now.

My insurance does NOT cover oil tanks (Whoops)

Any suggestions please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You must replace it. If it's rusted in one corner the rest will also be toast.

If it leaks you'll be in a whole heap of trouble. If the insurance got involved they'd remove a large part of the garden round the tank.

A new plastic, bunded tank is code nowadays. Don't know that you need a concrete base though...mine sits on the ground on a couple of slabs.

2400 litre bunded oil tank

Cant you clean the outside...lightly wire brush the area away from the weak point...then using fibre glass strands and resin...build up a repair...until funds are available

Reactions: 219
I would not even contemplate repairing the tank. It could lead to a very expensive situation and perhaps a breach of the criminal code, especially if things went wrong.

Whereas metal tanks are still available you are better off with a plastic tank.

It will have to be bunded-double skinned- if it is near to drains etc.

If you really need to do this cheaply on a temporary basis buy two second hand plastic tanks- should be no more than 50.00 each.

Pump the oil from the metal tank into one plastic tank, remove the metal tank from the base and replace it with the empty plastic tank. (Ensure the base supports the plastic tank at both ends and the centre) Pump the oil from the full plastic tank into the tank on the base, hook it up and you should be ready to go.
Perhaps not in accordance with the regulations but.....

Have a look at the regulations

Storing oil at your home or business

New installation, tanks have to be bunded if near drains or a water course. Positioned at least 1.80m (iirc) from flammable surfaces, a distance in (can't remember the distance) from a boundary and in a position where the oil delivery driver can see the tank whilst he is filling from his lorry.
A recent new build I did on a small plot failed on more than one of the above unless the oil tank was positioned in the middle of a very small gardem & could therefore not fit oil heating on that site

New installation, tanks have to be bunded if near drains or a water course. Positioned at least 1.80m (iirc) from flammable surfaces, a distance in (can't remember the distance) from a boundary and in a position where the oil delivery driver can see the tank whilst he is filling from his lorry.
A recent new build I did on a small plot failed on more than one of the above unless the oil tank was positioned in the middle of a very small gardem & could therefore not fit oil heating on that site
This is what I do not understand , though I have read it too. Most oil tanks cannot be seen by the driver. In NI where gas is not the dominant heating fuel, most people have oil...and most, even in new builds, have the tank at the back of the house. I've never seen an oil tank visible from the road.

No mention of the viewing by the driver here:

OFTEC - Domestic oil tanks and storage

This is what I do not understand , though I have read it too. Most oil tanks cannot be seen by the driver. In NI where gas is not the dominant heating fuel, most people have oil...and most, even in new builds, have the tank at the back of the house. I've never seen an oil tank visible from the road.

Ok, just what I was told about 10 years ago by heating engineer (OFTEC registered) when I was siting a tank behind a garage. Had fingers crossed when the first delivery arrived but driver didn't comment.

You’ll need a bund if your tank’s in any of the following places:

• where oil spills could run into an open drain or a loose manhole cover
  • where the tank vent pipes cannot be seen when the tank’s being filled, for example because the delivery tanker is parked too far away
  • within 10 metres of coastal waters or inland fresh waters like lakes or streams
  • within 50 metres of a drinking water source, for example wells, boreholes or springs
  • where oil spills could run over hard ground and reach coastal waters, inland fresh waters or a drinking water source
  • in the inner zone of groundwater source protection zone 1
You’ll also need a bund if your tank can hold more than 2,500 litres of oil. (ends).

From the above it would tend to suggest that the only extra requirement is that the tank is bunded if the vent pipes cannot be seen by the delivery person, rather than suggesting that you cannot have an oil tank where it cannot be seen.

Last edited:
If metal tank I don’t see why if fluid is below the leak level that as op suggested use fibreglass paint on few layers then a coat of mastic or something similar as a short term solution,,, although I have fibreglassed patch’s in cars petrol tanks which lasted for ages.

We tip if anyone ever has a platstic tank with a crack etc even while leaking , just rub a bar of soap over the leak it seals straight away.
While getting a fill of oil my tank split at the base with about 900 ltrs in it and guy from Tyrell tanks rubbed soap in it and left it for couple of days until he got replacement tank out.

In my case, as the tank is inside its own shed, which makes it impossible for the driver to see, He controls it with the trigger on the delivery hose gun. Same as when you are filing your car with fuel.

How much does it cost to get your 2000l tank filled with oil? And how long does it last?

T
How much does it cost to get your 2000l tank filled with oil? And how long does it last?
Today, in Belfast, that would cost £965. In my last house, which we left in June, @3000sq ft we could make it last a year.

T

Today, in Belfast, that would cost £965. In my last house, which we left in June, @3000sq ft we could make it last a year.

Interesting, Thanks for that!

If metal tank I don’t see why if fluid is below the leak level that as op suggested use fibreglass paint on few layers then a coat of mastic or something similar as a short term solution,,, although I have fibreglassed patch’s in cars petrol tanks which lasted for ages.

Because he will end up in the courts if something goes wrong. This is a 2000lt plus tank and with oil weighing 800gm or .8 of a kg, 2000lt will weigh 1600kg. That is over a ton and a half; it is not a petrol tank.

A friend had an oil spill three years ago when the delivery guy forgot to turn off the hose. Approx 60 litres of oil spilled. This seeped under his house and into his lawn. The clean up operation cost in excess of €25,000 which included the cost of disposing of half of his lawn. and the smell lingered in his house for months.

He was lucky, the oil company's insurance paid for it and paid for hotel accommodation for the owners while they tried to eliminate the smell in the house.

It is not worth it to take a chance... and taking a chance like that shows that you had prior knowledge of a possible polluting spill and chose to bodge a repair. That will not go down well in court, or in your pocket.

You are not talking about a £100 clean up.

T

Were you living in the one room??

Folks

I have a 2500 litre oil central heating tank. This is a square metal tank and is weeping in one corner.

Can these metal tanks be repaired?

I just had a company out to inspect it and they tell me I need:

A new tank
A new concrete base
Associated screening/ levelling etc

Basically it’s going to cost in the region of £2500 that I don’t have right now.

My insurance does NOT cover oil tanks (Whoops)

Any suggestions please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10 years ago our neighbours old steel oil tank leaked 1000 litres. It happened during a cold winter and had seeped into our garden. It wasn't until late winter. When the ground warmed up that we noticed as it rose to the surface (above the water table).
The resulting insurance claim and work cost £37500. This included removing 50 tonnes of contaminated soil, new earth, and turf.
It will sadly need replacing with a plastic bunded type.

My advice is to replace it as soon as you can reasonably do so.

As an OFTEC registered tech, I come across this situation pretty regularly.
I would advise against a single skin plastic tank, as I have seen far too many of these splitting/cracking at a fairly young age, but
you may well still be able to fit one of these and be in line with legislation, and this will probably be the cheapest replacement option.

A lot of people now only fit metal tanks, these can be single or bunded and perform very well ( seems like we have gone full circle). I see a lot of these now and are good- but you will have to factor in painting etc in the future.

There are some very good bunded plastic tanks available - but they tend to be fairly large.
So a lot will depend on your personal situation and proposed location for the replacement tank, there are fire rated tanks too, and all depending on your circumstances they can be very useful when having to install close to non-fire rated boundaries / buildings etc.
I know there is a lot to consider, and its a pain having to replace your tank, but please don't leave it so long that you end up with a large leak, you may run the risk of the Environment Agency etc. becoming involved and the cost can get crazy.

All the best with your search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom