Oil central heating tank weeping?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It would be a horrendous undertaking due to the difference in scale but there are epoxy lining kits available as used to coat the inside of motorcycle tanks.
I would imagine that these epoxy kits would work very well, especially in motor cycle tanks, and when they are applied in perfect conditions. They would effectively form a "Tank within a Tank". The problem with the OPs tank is that the conditions are far from ideal. He is in a difficult situation, with limited options.

Wow

Thank you all for the helpful replies.

I am not prepared to take any risks as it is a big old tank and sits above the ceiling level of our house.

I have negotiated a deal with the oil company who I had asked to inspect the damage.

It’s not great this time of year but it is safe and secure and can be done before Christmas.

It involves an “almost new” bundled tank and a deal in the labour etc.

Thank you all again for your help here.

Bruce

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow

I am not prepared to take any risks as it is a big old tank and sits above the ceiling level of our house.

I have negotiated a deal with the oil company who I had asked to inspect the damage.

It’s not great this time of year but it is safe and secure and can be done before Christmas.

Bruce

Glad to hear it is being sorted Bruce, and it will be safe. One less thing to worry about. :)

Wow

Bruce

Good to hear you are getting sorted before Christmas- one less thing yo worry about and peace of mind. Hope it doesn’t cost too much, but I’m sure you’re doing the right thing.
All the best.

Good to hear you are getting sorted before Christmas- one less thing yo worry about and peace of mind. Hope it doesn’t cost too much, but I’m sure you’re doing the right thing.
All the best.

Thank you

I guess the cost is all relative, but of little help when you just don’t have the spare cash. It has been our run of expensive failures, all at a terrible personal time for us ;^(

The costs of the oil leaking (posted here) are huge. I cannot take any risk with that or the potential health factors.

So a “new” tank it has to be, along with new standings etc.

These things always come along when funds are low but you are right to get it sorted. Sods Law dictates that it would have developed into something disastrous had you left it, better to juggle with your bank balance than wake up and discover an oil lake around your toolboxes. Relax and enjoy Christmas with your family. Best wishes Chris

Thank you

I guess the cost is all relative, but of little help when you just don’t have the spare cash. It has been our run of expensive failures, all at a terrible personal time for us ;^(

The costs of the oil leaking (posted here) are huge. I cannot take any risk with that or the potential health factors.

Thats very understandable Bruce, and when it's done, it's done and one less thing to worry about. Good Luck with everything !!!

Thank you

Wise decision Bruce. The failure costs would be enormous and just not worth the associated stress.

This article may be of some interest to you.

Residential oil spill insurance unveiled

The job is booked in for this Friday to:

Fit concrete base
plastic bunded tank
drain/ strain existing tank into new tank

The company have been great to date. Assuming this continues? I shall name them here.

The job is booked in for this Friday to:

Fit concrete base
plastic bunded tank
drain/ strain existing tank into new tank

The company have been great to date. Assuming this continues? I shall name them here.

Friday came and at the agreed time so did the team from Maskell’s Heating Services Ltd

Wow. In (what to me) seemed record time. They cleared the old installation and fitted a new concrete base & tank along with a Bluetooth level sensor.

They then removed all the old debris including the 2500 litre metal tank. You would not know they had been here.

They were polite and courteous and boy did they work hard to get us back up and running again.

I can’t go into the financials here. But Ray Maskell took a personal interest and was able to make this happen for us.

From a bad situation we have managed to get a result that worked for all.

Thank you to all here who helped out with great regulatory and technical data (I would not have known this, but needed to know it).

It’s great to know that we still have “proper” family run business’s that are prepared to go the extra mile and help out.

Thank you all.

Bruce

Friday came and at the agreed time so did the team from Maskell’s Heating Services Ltd

Wow. In (what to me) seemed record time. They cleared the old installation and fitted a new concrete base & tank along with a Bluetooth level sensor.

They then removed all the old debris including the 2500 litre metal tank. You would not know they had been here.

They were polite and courteous and boy did they work hard to get us back up and running again.

I can’t go into the financials here. But Ray Maskell took a personal interest and was able to make this happen for us.

Thank you to all here who helped out with great regulatory and technical data (I would not have known this, but needed to know it).

It’s great to know that we still have “proper” family run business’s that are prepared to go the extra mile and help out.

Thank you all.

Bruce

Glad you got it all done to your satisfaction, and nice to be all sorted before Christmas too. Good to see that there are still decent companies in your area. Pleased for you.

Thank you all.

Bruce
Thats a good result Bruce, all things considered. lots of things could have gone wrong on the day. I've had to change tanks myself ( in a completely different setting, and under different circumstances... LOL :) The company who did the installation obviously were true professionals!!! Now here's hoping that the winter will be mild and short, and you won't need to refill it too often !!!

That is great news Bruce, so glad you got it all sorted as others have said it could have been a catastrophe both environmentally and financially! It reminded me of the time I was at home alone and noticed an oil smell near our tank. We have a 1000 litre tank near the house which was installed by the previous owners and was literally balanced on breeze blocks. On inspection I found a small crack where the tank had become misshapen due to not standing evenly, it was a single skin tank as well. Typically, this small crack started dripping in front of my eyes. Envisaging the whole thing suddenly bursting open I rushed off to find what I could, thankfully we had three large wheelie bins used for garden rubbish and they were mercifully empty. I found a length of hose and managed to siphon what was left of the oil into the three bins! Thankfully it hadn't been full and the crack was not right at the bottom - even so, the bins were full up. A crisis averted, just!

We then got a solid base built and a proper bunded tank installed. I dread to think what might have happened had I not been there :confused:

Yesterday Maskells Oil Services knocked on my door. Free of charge they fitted a brand new Bluetooth “watchman” fuel gauge to our new tank.

What a great gesture from a great company. I am humbled.

Dont belzona make a permanent fix for this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom