Oil change in Kwick-fit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

columb

Car
W212
Hi!

I've seen recently an offer- £25 for a new Mobil1 and oil filter. All done.
It is really cheap and I was thinking that I could have a new oil every 5k :)
Any good? Should I consider it?

Cheers
Chris

These offers normally have a maximum engine capacity, but I reckon you should be OK with the C200 CDi - worth checking.

You couldn't buy the oil for that, so if an interim oil change is something you favour, then I'd go for it.

If you have FMBSH I'd avoid Kwik-fit stamping the book. Just keep the receipt. Even though it might be over and above what's required, the fact it wasn't an MB dealer than performed it may affect your ability to claim goodwill gestures and the like. Just a thought.

Hi!

I've seen recently an offer- £25 for a new Mobil1 and oil filter. All done.
It is really cheap and I was thinking that I could have a new oil every 5k :)
Any good? Should I consider it?

Cheers
Chris

is probably OK, but wont be a genuine MB filter and they will suck it out rather than drain.

NOTE! i say that in the hope that another suck vs drain debate does not start - do a search if you want to view debates on that!!

Should I not change oil that often? Winter time and my engine is bit laud.
yeah, I've confirmed- for my engine £25.
Cheap as chips !

Cheers
Chris

Should I not change oil that often? Winter time and my engine is bit laud.
yeah, I've confirmed- for my engine £25.
Cheap as chips !

Cheers
Chris

Changing more often has to be better.... so i would say its worth it.... if thats what you want to do

Why not take your own MB filter with you and ask them to use that instead ?

so Mobil1 would be OK? I will order Oil filter and ask them to do the change
Will report back on Saturday!

Cheers
Chris

The Kwik-Fit deal is traditionally a fixed price regardless of quantity, but could have changed recently. You will find them to be extremely reluctant to use customer-supplied parts -- even OEM MB parts -- because of corporate liability issues. If you can't persuade them (as I managed to do and they mark the invoice accordingly), let them use their own filter and change it when you get home -- hardly much trouble with a canister filter.

All the many changes I've had done at Kwik-Fit have been through the sump hole and not by vacuum extraction.

Keep an eagle eye on them. One Spanner Controller drained my autobox thinking it was the sump. That job cost them an arm and a leg, as they also ran out of Mobil 1 and had to buy a retail pack from the accessories shop over the road.

And make sure they don't overtighten either the canister lid -- hand tight is all that's needed -- or the sump plug, which requires only 25Nm or thereabouts (wheelnuts need four times that much; on something like a canister lid, 25Nm is not much more than hand tight). Too many Spanner Controllers think they haven't finished the job properly unless they've done the sump plug so tight that it will be a pig to get undone next time around.

Last edited:
The Kwik-Fit deal is traditionally a fixed price regardless of quantity, but could have changed recently. You will find them to be extremely reluctant to use customer-supplied parts -- even OEM MB parts -- because of corporate liability issues. If you can't persuade them (as I managed to do and they mark the invoice accordingly), let them use their own filter and change it when you get home -- hardly much trouble with a canister filter.

All the many changes I've had done at Kwik-Fit have been through the sump hole and not by vacuum extraction.

Keep an eagle eye on them. One Spanner Controller drained my autobox thinking it was the sump. That job cost them an arm and a leg, as they also ran out of Mobil 1 and had to buy a retail pack from the accessories shop over the road.

And make sure they don't overtighten either the canister lid -- hand tight is all that's needed -- or the sump plug, which requires only 25Nm or thereabouts (wheelnuts need four times that much; on something like a canister lid, that's not much more than hand tight). Too many Spanner Controllers think they haven't finished the job properly unless they've done the sump plug so tight that it will be a pig to get undone next time around.

LOL @ 'Spanner Controller' :D:D

Will

Do they do supply only? I'll bring my own oil can!

Make sure they dont overfill the engine, they managed to over fill my friends Impreza engine causing serious damage.. they paid for everything, but its the inconvenence..

we just spoke to our local KwikFit - according to them they use Mobil Oil but it's only a semi synthetic NOT Mobil 1.

Not that important really for the older cars but for the newer ones which specify fully synthetic oils it gets more expensive

Ok, so if it is semi-synthetic (4 years old car, 92k) is it any good?
I have now Shell Helix 10w40 me thinks :)

Cheers
Chris

Semi-synth is no problem, but Kwik-Fit's normal stocks are all Mobil: mineral, semi-synth and fully synth (Mobil 1 0W40), all in large tubs on wheels. The price for the Mobil 1 deal is usually around £40; the price you quoted looks more like the semi.

Some experts suggest that if you go up the ladder to fully synth, you should not revert to semi- or mineral.

And only now do I notice that you have a diesel, which may have a different oil spec.

I always say go semi and change every year or 10K...

Although I'm generally in favour of using suction to remove oil, if I were daft enough to allow my car into a fast fit type establishment, I would probably insist upon it. Far far better than allowing the less than skilled types who lurk there to ruin the fasteners on the engine undertray, and the sump plug.

As changing oil on MBs using the suction method is so easy - one could almost do it while wearing a dinner suit - I don't see why people consider taking the risk of allowing this type of outfit to touch their car. A few quid for the oil pales into insignificance...

Although I'm generally in favour of using suction to remove oil, if I were daft enough to allow my car into a fast fit type establishment, I would probably insist upon it. Far far better than allowing the less than skilled types who lurk there to ruin the fasteners on the engine undertray, and the sump plug.

As changing oil on MBs using the suction method is so easy - one could almost do it while wearing a dinner suit - I don't see why people consider taking the risk of allowing this type of outfit to touch their car. A few quid for the oil pales into insignificance...

Less than skilled would be a complement; I agree with you the potential hassle of having a halfwit drain the autobox (a la Roger Jones experience) or tighten the sump plug like it was a head bolt makes me cringe; better to pay a few more quid and be safe. Or do it yourself.

You want to buy one of these http://www.pelapumps.co.uk/default.aspx?orig=ga £30-£50 approx, a oil filter socket from Halfords something like this http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_199193_langId_-1_categoryId_165469 Get a knowledgeable friend /mechanic round to walk you thro the process the first time and SAVE ££££££ s on oil changes in the future. You can normally dispose of your waste oil at the local council recycling facility.

I agree with that - i prefer to drain personally, but would rather a KwikFit type outfit suck it out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom