Oil change in Kwick-fit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
just had my dads peugeot 307 2.0 Diesel at kwik fit for an oil change, no fuss, unipart filter and mobile oil, seemed to know what he was doing, £25 job done.

considering peugeot wanted £116 (inc *free* MOT) for an oil change you cant go wrong. Obviously depends on the person doing the work.

so Mobil1 would be OK? I will order Oil filter and ask them to do the change
Will report back on Saturday!

Cheers
Chris
Have you proceeded with the Kwik-Fit oil change? If so please let us know how you got on.

considering peugeot wanted £116 (inc *free* MOT) for an oil change you cant go wrong. Obviously depends on the person doing the work.

To be honest, including an MOT £116 isn't all that bad IMHO.

An MOT is about £50 on it's own, so that's not too bad for a Main dealer oil and filter change.

I assume you'd get a Peugeot oil filter and a stamp in the service book also :)

But, for £25, you can't really argue at Kwik-Fit either.

On this note - it seems popular for everyone and their mates to knock Kwik-Fit, but to be honest, I don't think they're any worse/better than most fast fit / tyre places, and certainly better than some I've been to ;)

Will

>>I don't think they're any worse/better than most fast fit / tyre places

Alas, that isn't saying much!

Having said that, the main dealers who use apprentices to do servicing but charge out at the full rate are even more undeservin of custom.

IMO, with an oil extractor, changing the oil on most Mercedes cars is so clean and easy you could almost do it while wearing your best clothes, so, there's no real reason to "entrust" the vehicle to anyone else.

>>I don't think they're any worse/better than most fast fit / tyre places

Alas, that isn't saying much!

Having said that, the main dealers who use apprentices to do servicing but charge out at the full rate are even more undeservin of custom.

IMO, with an oil extractor, changing the oil on most Mercedes cars is so clean and easy you could almost do it while wearing your best clothes, so, there's no real reason to "entrust" the vehicle to anyone else.

I agree - but remember not everyone 'wants' to change the oil and filter themselves. I guess you still have to buy and filter, and the oil, then dispose of them afterwards - etc. I prefer to change the oil and filter on my own cars myself, though :)

The point I was trying to make is - Why single out Kwik-Fit for so much criticism, and not other fast fit places? (ATS, National Tyre etc)

I've used Kwik-Fit a handful of times over the years (mainly for replacement tyres on co. vehicles, etc) and have no real complaints.

About 5 years ago, I took a '91 Range Rover 3.9 to have a full exhaust system fitted. Cost only £110 for the entire system! (and it's a pretty big system on a 3.9 V8). Was fitted without any problems (neatly, I checked). New clamps/rubbers etc, no rattles/knocking etc - as good as any job.

That's still in excellent condition (doesn't even seem to be rusting last time I checked). I've actually seen stainless exhausts for these cars fall apart in less time. The cheapest pattern part full system that I could source (from a trade contact, at cost) was over £170 - so not only the cheapest, but also fully fitted.

So, to offer a balanced opinion - not all Kwik-Fits are bad news, it depends on the staff.

Will

OK, so here I am.

Yes, I've proceed with K-F oil change. I was proposed Mobil1 Fully synthetic for £35 or semi for £25. As I was told by my friend weeks ago, that I can't put synthetic oil because I have too many miles and I had semi already in I've asked why he would recommend Mobil1? Blose said that it doesn't make a huge difference, but fully synt is so much better and for £10 that's a good deal.
Well, I wasn't sure so I've stayed whit what I had - semi.

Oil was drained and not sucked out but to the last drop. I was watching guy all the time and yes, oil change is simple job so nothing to...

AND THEN: "Excuse me sir, where is you dip stick?" Question asked by manager!!! I was like "WHAT?" but managed to stay calm and explained that I can switch service menu so they can see how much oil is in it.
We have waited 10 min, computer has showed 5,5l an guy added another litre. Then he asked me if I want a bit more? I was like "WTF?" (as I remmeber to not overfill engin with oil) and I have said no.

Well, my knowledge about cars is limited but actually I know few basic things which they didn't know OR I'm wrong.

Owerall? It is just an oil change, £25 doesn't break the bank so I don't think I'm alowed to complian. I was going to send an email to kwik-fit HO pointing lack of knowlege but I can't be asked anymore.

Will I change oil there agian? Don't know:)

Cheers
Chris

>>Why single out Kwik-Fit for so much criticism, and not other fast fit places?

I agree, I've repaired bodges from all of them, and so, I wouldn't let them change the tyre on my wheelbarrow.

It's because of my experience within the trade that I hate paying anyone to do any work for me at all. I need to be backed into a corner before this happens, and so, I find Prescott's regulations about double glazing fitting, and basic household electrics a fundamental ache!

I fear becoming too old and decrepit to do DIY work myself, but, hopefully, I'll be able to tutor Number_Nipper in the oily arts before that happens.

Forgot to mention: both kwik-fits in Exeter were really busy!
Tyres, punctures, oil changes, exhausts (2 cars)... I was rather surprised that they had to turn people back as they were too busy!

Cheers
Chris

As soon as I will by my own house, I'm going to learn how to change oil by myself :) But until then...

Cheers
Chris

>>Why single out Kwik-Fit for so much criticism, and not other fast fit places?

I agree, I've repaired bodges from all of them, and so, I wouldn't let them change the tyre on my wheelbarrow.

It's because of my experience within the trade that I hate paying anyone to do any work for me at all. I need to be backed into a corner before this happens, and so, I find Prescott's regulations about double glazing fitting, and basic household electrics a fundamental ache!

I fear becoming too old and decrepit to do DIY work myself, but, hopefully, I'll be able to tutor Number_Nipper in the oily arts before that happens.

Quite - me too, I do pretty much all of my own car maintenance and repairs, most work at home, etc etc.

But alas I don't own a tyre changing machine, not a wheel balancer, so it's inevitable that I'm going to have to use a tyre facility of some sort as and when required.

I have no reason to defend Kwik-Fit (I certainly don't work there and don't have any shares in them!), but I think you must be the exception as they seem to be still trading after all of these years.

I haven't used them for my personal cars before (other than a bargain exhaust system 5 years ago), but have found them to be perfectly satisfactory when having replacement tyres fitted to company owned/financed vehicles :)

Will

To change tyres I'm using Pro-tyre and I think that they are quite good!
Cheap, proper computer balancing, Michelin tyres only...

Cheers
Chris

An MOT is about £50 on it's own, so that's not too bad for a Main dealer oil and filter change.

MOT still £30 at my regular garage, so £55 all ikn, and also got the free brake check done, as i didnt wantto get my hands dirty, and i done a visual check while it was in the ramp getting the oil change done..... they drain the oil by the way!

personally i think its a good deal!

i would have had my interim oil changed on the c36, but they dont list the filter and cant use your own, therefore cant do it!

Guys,

Actually I have a few questions:

1. Based on my story, should I go with synthetic or semi?
2. Is it normal that Spanner-Operators don't know about electronic oil check in MB? And that garages should have dip stick?
3. Why I should have oil sucked out rather than drain?

Cheers
Chris

Guys,

Actually I have a few questions:

1. Based on my story, should I go with synthetic or semi?
2. Is it normal that Spanner-Operators don't know about electronic oil check in MB? And that garages should have dip stick?
3. Why I should have oil sucked out rather than drain?

Cheers
Chris

1) I'd go for a quality fully synthetic oil that meets the correct MB spec for your car (should be in the owner's book :)
2) A lot of fast-fit places might not know about the electronic oil check, I'd quiz them before they start if you're in any doubt
3) Draining is better than sucking out, IMHO. If you use the argument that you don't trust the person to remove/fit the sump plug properly, use another garage. After all, you're trusting them to remove/refit the correct oil filter, and fill with the correct oil to the correct level - seems silly to not trust the same person to fit one bolt in after removing it.

Will

I use semi and drop it every 3K car is not an every day driver so the more frequent the better I always think, price of semi and a new filter cheap as chips for a W208

k/fit & national drain the oil as i used to take my other cars there - 15quid all in for 2-0tr cars (i stood & watched)

LOL

Posted on another forum;

Hi

After a lot of research on this subect I found this some time ago. This guy seems to know what he talking about, but he was using diesel not veg. Here is what he said, with the link at the bottom.

"No, please please please don't use semi-synthtics!!! I used to have a Xsara TD and the flaming dealership would put in 10W40 semi synthetic. As soon as I got the car home out came the dealer oil and in went my own stuff (mineral). I will get around to explaining why you shouldn't use it but for now note the following:

1) A semi-synthetic is made of a mineral AND most likely, olefine based synthetic basestock. The two don't work together, having different thermal and MOFT capabilities. Marketing has sadly conned both the public and mechanics alike. Trust me, I have been in and around the oil industry for long enough.

2) A high grade mineral oil is better than any semi-synthetic. Look for the ACEA and actually more important, the SAE ratings. Wide ranging multigrades i.e. 10W60 are nonsence, 0W60 even more so. The incessant dash for either wide ranging or thinner oils for cold cranking is unneccessary in the UK. Find a SAE viscocity chart and note that you only need to go lower that a 15W## in tempertures lower than -15 C! Thus a 15W40 (looks old fashioned but ignore the hype) is quite suitable in the UK. Yes thinner oil gets round the engine quicker but then it shears more at higher temps since the claimed wide range is not really possible without large proportions of polymeric thickers which degrade to sludge anyway. Since the compression ignition (diesel) engine runs cooler than its equivilent spark ignition unit, a 50 or 60 weight isn't really neccessary either, so 15W40 it should be.

3) Rather than going to Halfords and paying retail prices for 5 litres of light duty product in bright coloured packaging with loads of impressive sounding description, learn to interpret the product data sheet, usually available online. Look for the highest C rating you can get i.e. SAE 15W40 CH-4. Retail oil is typically CF-4 which is bettered by CG, CG-4, CH, CH-4 and so on. Really, the highest currently available is CH-4; CI-4 is only neccessary if the emisison control system requires it. TBN factor is another important factor - the higher the better.

Thus I would recommend either:

MINERAL: Texaco URSA 15W40 SHPD Diesel Engine Oil (20 litres costs £32) from your local Texaco commercial lubricants agent. Don't confuse with Texaco Havoline.

SYNTHETIC: Redline 15W40 Diesel Engine Oil. This is a poly-ol-ester basestock oil and cannot be bettered. UK agent is Old Hall Performance but www.redline-europe.com has dealer details. Not cheap but I ran a PSA XUD9A engine on this for over the equivilent of 1.6 million miles on a test bed. Compression test after wards - as good as new! "

Here is the link
http://www.whatdiesel.co.uk/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=390

I hope this helps

Fred

Where's opie oils when you need them? ;)

One would imagine that they're starting a new thread on one of the many forums they advertise on - I mean contribute to.

:D

I mean this in the nicest possible way after watching test bed results on engines running at high loads with the specific job of monitoring wear patterns on engines (Predominantly rings, liners) that a semi synthetic oil does infact work, so saying they do not work is tosh.

Dave!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom