Oil change via dipstick tube OM651

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikrt

Car
2013 C220 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY AMG Sport Plus 7G-Tronic Plus 4dr
Had a full service a few weeks ago; engine oil & filter, ATF oil, filter & gasket (inc. TC), fuel filter, engine air filter, cabin air filter, new pagid discs & pads/shoes all round, along with fresh brake fluid.

I intend if seems sensible to drain engine oil and change it with filter alternate years, but in between just suck out via dipstick and replenish with fresh oil.

My question is, on the OM651, is the sump favourably shaped so that all (well 95%ish) can be removed this way, or would not enough of it be removed?

Thanks again in advance.

I have just done oil and filter change via the sump plug, I fitted a magnetic sump plug and plan to the next change via the dip stick tube. Whilst it is good to have the covers off the underside to check other stuff from time to time I do like the idea of being able to do a quick interim oil change.

Sounds like a decision made for sucking out alternate years, wish I'd thought of the magnetic sump plug 2 weeks ago though.

Yep , I get 6.5L out .
Well you learn something new every now and then, I have always drained from the sump plug and gravity does the job
I have never done an oil change using suction, it's an interesting idea.
what do you use as suction?

Search eBay and Amazon, plenty on there for best result, the oil needs to be warm though.

I have just done oil and filter change via the sump plug, I fitted a magnetic sump plug and plan to the next change via the dip stick tube. Whilst it is good to have the covers off the underside to check other stuff from time to time I do like the idea of being able to do a quick interim oil change.
The magnetic sump plug is a good idea....should be standard on all cars. Do you have the part Nr for the one you got?
Thanks,

Suction , a Sealey TP69 6.5L but would invest in a 9L on the bay next time .

Magnatec sump plug - most are a soft alloy but Gold Plugs are stainless steel .

2019-06-25 21.29.58.png

I use a Sealy 9l vacuum extractor to change the oil between services on my E250.
So, so simple to use.
I can drain and refill in about 15 minutes with filter change.
Bought it after discovering my main dealer also sucks the oil out of the dipstick tube. Doesn't remove the sump plug at all

I have a Sealy 6.5 litre suck pump, £60 on Amazon. No good for my car engine as it has a saddle sump, but I have used it on other cars and on hydraulic power packs at work, you could use it to drain the toilet bowl at home or get pretty much any spillage that had filled recesses in engine bays or other awkward places. You could even do an ATF 'interim' service, Example : many of us have our ATF replaced by an indi and many of us may (possibly unknowingly) have 3+ litres of old ATF swilling around in the 'box after the service as many do not have a Torque converter drain plug and the gearbox cooling system is often not drained during ATF change.

The solution could be to suck ATF out of the 'box after a few thousand miles by the dip stick tube, measure it and re fill with fresh ATF .

With a few bits of rubber hose attached you have a vacuum brake fluid replacement device...etc...

Well you learn something new every now and then, I have always drained from the sump plug and gravity does the job
I have never done an oil change using suction, it's an interesting idea.
what do you use as suction?
Bought one of the Lidl cheapy ones used on my mowers seems to work fine as long as it pulls out the oil I don’t suppose brand matters.

My rule, if I can get to the oil filter without crawling under the car, the oil gets sucked out. If I have to remove the oil filter from underneath, then I might as well drain the oil too.

Another trick if you want to stick to suction oil changes is to pop a Neodymium (typically 10 x stronger than a regular magnet) magnet on the outside of the oil filter cartridge which will hold any stray metal particles until you change the filter. It obviously will not work on many MB (and other) cars that use plastic but you could always tape/cable tie or bond it on to the housing if you don't mind how crap it might look.

I have been doing this for a while on bikes and cars. I guess you could pop one on the metal sump on a 722.xx gearbox to catch stray metal as well, I understand there is already a magnet in there fixed inside the sump plate.

Arguably a strong Neodymium magnet could affect the coils/circuitry in the gearbox if put in the wrong place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom