Oil change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRBC43AMG

MB Enthusiast
Car
2013 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 1999 C43 AMG saloon "Grandma" (sold), Ultima Sports Can-Am (sold)
I just realized that my C240T has clocked over 22,000 km since last oil change :eek: . The service indicator shows I still have 900 kms till next service and the engine purrs like a cat. The car is used occasionally (week-end and holidays mostly) but then generally for long distance travel on 90% motorways. I have replaced around 1lt of fresh Mobil1 with same oil in the engine since the last service.
This distance since last oil change is definitely not normal but has anybody seen this kind of thing happen before, or has the indicator gone bonkers?

Last edited:
It is not unheard off. Long motorways cruises, fewer engine starts, and the fact that you have added oil (if you have the electronic oil level check system i.e. no dipstick then the car would know that you have added oil) can cause ASYST to allow very high mileage between services.

On a more general note, service intervals can now be very long with full-synthetic oils.

My previous Vauxhall had a service interval of 20,000 Miles (32,000 Km) - or one year.

My Renault has a service interval of 18,000 Miles (~29,000 Km) - or one year.

So your ~14,000 Miles (22,000 Km) is not unreasonable.

In fact, my W203 showed 13,000 Miles (~21,000 Km) till next service when I bought it. This went down dramatically over time as I was using it mainly for short journeys.

Having said that... service intervals are similar to 'best before' date on food - the oil degrades gradually over a period of time rather than go wrong on the day. Manufacturers' schedules (and ASYST) should be regarded as minimum, but if you want to really look after your car and you intend to keep it for a long time - and run high mileage on it - them more frequent oil changes are not a bad idea.

Ultimately, if you buy a new car and keep it for a couple of years, it makes no snese (finacially speaking) to have an interim oil change between scheduled services, because the benefits will be ripped by some unknown individual who will own the car much further down the ownership chain.

But from the purely technical point of view - interim oil changes are good for the engine and will extend its service life.

If you want to do the sensible think, then just follow what ASYST tells you - it is a good compromise between costs and reliability. So in short 22,000 Km between oil changes is fine if ASYST says so (and assuming that the previous garage indeed used the correct service items i.e 229.3/229.5 oil and microfibre oil filter).

It has been over a year since the last oil change, but I've scheduled some work very soon: new front disks, pads, brake fluid, ATF, engine oil and filter, plugs, cabin filter, air filter (blue JR) was cleaned a month ago, so should get things back in tip top shape

I believe at one point those V6 engines had an " oil quality" sensor in the sump which modified the service interval??

It has been over a year since the last oil change, but I've scheduled some work very soon: new front disks, pads, brake fluid, ATF, engine oil and filter, plugs, cabin filter, air filter (blue JR) was cleaned a month ago, so should get things back in tip top shape

Most manufacturers have fixed a service schedule, i.e. 'or one year'.

There was a period where MB ASYST used flexible service schedule (I believe 2004-2007), and with that system the car could require the service after between 12 to 18 months, depending on driving conditions.

However, following complaints from fleet managers that this made servicing totally unpredictable, from 2007 MB switched to fixed servicing, i.e. ASYST will require a service after 12 months (unless the mileage has been exceeded before that).

(Not to mention that with the flexible schedule, MB dealers lost out on MOT testing, as the service and MOT no longer came up together and owners sometime preferred to take their car to the local MOT centre and not to the MB dealer)

This is yet another demonstration that service scheduling is not an exact science...

So if you go with what ASYST tells you, you should be fine.

I believe at one point those V6 engines had an " oil quality" sensor in the sump which modified the service interval??

Yes, I believe they did.

if in doubt put new all in what have you got to lose

should be put new oil in

it's on time basis when and if you should change the oil when the indicator tells you.

say you have 5000 km left b4 service, you will loose those 5000km within days if you go overtime.
such things happens on my C43 and I don't drive it every day, it's time related when it's time for service if you haven't hit those 22000km

it's on time basis when and if you should change the oil when the indicator tells you.

say you have 5000 km left b4 service, you will loose those 5000km within days if you go overtime.
such things happens on my C43 and I don't drive it every day, it's time related when it's time for service if you haven't hit those 22000km

My 43 has currently 222'2xx kms and growls like a nasty tiger. I just love overtaking with the pedal to the floor and "blow the doors" of the overtaken car. Service scheduled in next couple of weeks, then some nice drives before the winter and cold weather settles in.

My 43 has currently 222'2xx kms and growls like a nasty tiger. I just love overtaking with the pedal to the floor and "blow the doors" of the overtaken car. Service scheduled in next couple of weeks, then some nice drives before the winter and cold weather settles in.

I know your C43 is nasty :D so is mine, they are fun to drive, those women sounds nasty when they growl from the end tubes, it's addictive! :bannana:

Indeed, especially if your mileage is low. When the time comes, the 'remaining mileage till next service' display will change to '28 days before next service'.

Kowalski :eek:
Jeez, what are those airbags :cool: in your avatar ?

Kowalski :eek:
Jeez, what are those airbags :cool: in your avatar ?

Me loves that avatar! :p You see my tounge is hanging out of my mouth. :cool:
She's got perfect jugs. 2 thumbs up :thumb: :thumb:

Me being so hot for that avatar woman, I go :bannana:
I had to put her up on my cell phone as a screensaver :rock:

Do a search on google type in MILF and click pictures, there you go.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom