oil consumption 2012 E63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonboyE63

Car
2012 E63 Wagon
My 2012 E63 wagon has 59,000 miles on the clock & I've owned it for 6 months. I drive it every day (50 mile commute) & most weekends - mainly A & B roads due to the rural area I live in....
Twice now the "add 1 litre of oil when next refuelling" has come on....first time was about a month ago & again today.....is it just me or does this seem a tad excessive..??
I've not owned a V8 bi-turbo powered car before but surely 2 ltrs of oil in 6 months is a too much...??
Should I be worried & if so take the car back to a warranty inspection or is this oil use normal..??
Look forward to advise from those more experienced than me...
Thanks

My CLS63 asks for a litre every 3 months, so it's roughly the same as mine.
1 litre every 2500 miles.

My 2012 E63 wagon has 59,000 miles on the clock & I've owned it for 6 months. I drive it every day (50 mile commute) & most weekends - mainly A & B roads due to the rural area I live in....
Twice now the "add 1 litre of oil when next refuelling" has come on....first time was about a month ago & again today.....is it just me or does this seem a tad excessive..??
I've not owned a V8 bi-turbo powered car before but surely 2 ltrs of oil in 6 months is a too much...??
Should I be worried & if so take the car back to a warranty inspection or is this oil use normal..??
Look forward to advise from those more experienced than me...
Thanks
if it uses 1l every 2k it seems normal for a m157, my old one used more than that my new one I've done about 4k in it and never asked for oil.

Thanks chaps....that's what I wanted to hear....will add a litre to the engine & keep a spare litre in the boot as i'm off to Germany in a couple of weeks...
Have a good bank holiday..!!

Both my M157 E63's would consume a litre every 6K miles. While every engine is different, significantly higher oil consumption can be indicative of an issue. Personally, if it’s under warranty I would raise it with the dealer so that even if you get an “it’s normal” response now, if it gets worse in future you can point to an extant problem while the warranty was in place.

MB guidance is that it will consume up to 0.8l per 1000km, more if driven harder or at higher speed.

MB guidance is that it will consume up to 0.8l per 1000km, more if driven harder or at higher speed.

My last 2014 E63 used a litre approx. every 5K

Both my M157 E63's would consume a litre every 6K miles. While every engine is different, significantly higher oil consumption can be indicative of an issue. Personally, if it’s under warranty I would raise it with the dealer so that even if you get an “it’s normal” response now, if it gets worse in future you can point to an extant problem while the warranty was in place.

I added a 1ltr at the end of March & it asked for another yesterday - however it didn't request any for the first 4 months......will keep an eye on it & maybe give the dealership a call to make them aware.
Thanks for the advise.

If it doesn't use more than 0.8L per 1000km I cannot see the point in mentioning it.
Put yourself in their position, you're wasting your breath.

MB may say that 0.8L per 1000km is normal, and other manufacturers often state similar - as a get out clause for warranty purposes/customer complaints.

To me any engine that needs that much oil topping up,
0.8L for 1000km (620 miles) wouldn’t be the best sign of health. None of my cars have used any significant amount oil between services, even my 155k E55 - still on the top mark from when it was serviced.

You’d be using more oil in the duration between services than what’s used when it’s drained (or sucked out) and refilled!

I would definitely mention it to them, maybe by email with acknowledgment - just in case it develops into something sinister. Forum member Dennis (aka E55BOF) has an identical year/model car with circa 80k ish miles IIRC that started to use a bit of oil (not sure how much, just says higher than expected) and ended up with a sick engine shortly after :-(

It's Not A Good Sign When...

Hopefully it’s nothing to worry about but better to be safe than sorry. You’ve nothing to lose by mentioning it if it’s covered by warranty :)

MB may say that 0.8L per 1000km is normal, and other manufacturers often state similar - as a get out clause for warranty purposes/customer complaints.

To me any engine that needs that much oil topping up,
0.8L for 1000km (620 miles) wouldn’t be the best sign of health. None of my cars have used any significant amount oil between services, even my 155k E55 - still on the top mark from when it was serviced.

You’d be using more oil in the duration between services than what’s used when it’s drained (or sucked out) and refilled!

I would definitely mention it to them, maybe by email with acknowledgment - just in case it develops into something sinister. Forum member Dennis (aka E55BOF) has an identical year/model car with circa 80k ish miles IIRC that started to use a bit of oil (not sure how much, just says higher than expected) and ended up with a sick engine shortly after :-(

It's Not A Good Sign When...

Hopefully it’s nothing to worry about but better to be safe than sorry. You’ve nothing to lose by mentioning it if it’s covered by warranty :)

ouchhhh, I've just read that thread.....I will be contacting the garage tomorrow to log a call regarding oil usage since I've owned the car...& will monitor how long it is until it asks for another 1ltr.....
Thanks for the heads-up regarding this Will - maybe I should've bought your E55 after all...:)

Been quite a few threads on this in the past including US forums. Many M157 engines do use around a litre per 1000. Lots of owners record their mileage/use age to keep track which is a good thing. The only watch out is if oil usage gets excessively worse (obviously will do so when driven hard in warmer conditions), then it could be an indicator of a problem. From memory I think anywhere from 1L per 800 up to 1500 was most common with a few cars with better consumption rates at up to 4000 miles. Can’t think of one turbo charged car I’ve had that hasn’t used oil. Theories for the variance are how the engine is assembled, how the engine was ran in, the type and grade of oil being used and how hard the car is driven. Other modern cars / marques are the same if not worse Audi / BMW etc.

Jules.

Mine needs a litre every 3k miles or annually due to my low mileage. Was worried at first but seems to be quite normal for this engine.

The first warning flashed up after 4 months = about 3000 miles or so but then it came on again after another 6 weeks...will monitor for now & see when it asks for another litre....maybe it's the oil, I did add 0W-40 as stated in the manual...
Thanks jayboy..

I use the same oil but haven’t had the message to top up again once I have. But you may do more miles than me, very likely actually.

I’d do as you say and monitor how soon it asks for a top after you’ve topped it up. If it’s a worry ask someone to have a look.

Touchwood tho these engines are pretty reliable.

Been quite a few threads on this in the past including US forums. Many M157 engines do use around a litre per 1000. Lots of owners record their mileage/use age to keep track which is a good thing. The only watch out is if oil usage gets excessively worse (obviously will do so when driven hard in warmer conditions), then it could be an indicator of a problem. From memory I think anywhere from 1L per 800 up to 1500 was most common with a few cars with better consumption rates at up to 4000 miles. Can’t think of one turbo charged car I’ve had that hasn’t used oil. Theories for the variance are how the engine is assembled, how the engine was ran in, the type and grade of oil being used and how hard the car is driven. Other modern cars / marques are the same if not worse Audi / BMW etc.

Jules.
my c63 4.0tt don't use any oil between services.
I bought it with 12k and a year after was 28k when it went for service and never asked for oil, neither did my newer cls.

my c63 4.0tt don't use any oil between services.
I bought it with 12k and a year after was 28k when it went for service and never asked for oil, neither did my newer cls.
Good to know Bruno. Wonder if that’s similar for all of the latest generation 4.0tt?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom