oil consumption 2012 E63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good to know Bruno. Wonder if that’s similar for all of the latest generation 4.0tt?
I only can speak about my own mate.
my 1st cls drank about 1l of oil every 500 miles .

In the 16 or so months I’ve used mine 10k mikes driving I’ve had to top up 1ltr of oil 3 times now. It’s with MB at the moment and they said it needs topped up again.

Was just serviced at 80816 and 482 miles later first request for a ltr of oil pops up. But for the first 1000 miles that I did, nothing. All motorway driving. 05/40 oil on order. Will see how it goes.

I've just checked the mileage since buying the car & I've covered just over 5000 miles, so two top ups sounds about right..was just worried how quickly the 2nd ltr was asked for......I've made a note of the mileage on this top up so will see how long it is until it asks again..

Been quite a few threads on this in the past including US forums. Many M157 engines do use around a litre per 1000. Lots of owners record their mileage/use age to keep track which is a good thing. The only watch out is if oil usage gets excessively worse (obviously will do so when driven hard in warmer conditions), then it could be an indicator of a problem. From memory I think anywhere from 1L per 800 up to 1500 was most common with a few cars with better consumption rates at up to 4000 miles. Can’t think of one turbo charged car I’ve had that hasn’t used oil. Theories for the variance are how the engine is assembled, how the engine was ran in, the type and grade of oil being used and how hard the car is driven. Other modern cars / marques are the same if not worse Audi / BMW etc.

Jules.

Always petrol engines?

I would definitely mention it to them, maybe by email with acknowledgment - just in case it develops into something sinister. Forum member Dennis (aka E55BOF) has an identical year/model car with circa 80k ish miles IIRC that started to use a bit of oil (not sure how much, just says higher than expected) and ended up with a sick engine shortly after :-(

It's Not A Good Sign When...

Chicken or egg?
E55BOF's 'problem' was unrelated to what was found. Begs the question, is the increased oil consumption a precursor to bent rods or a symptom of?

I have a theory which says that modern engine management systems really do not cope well with high rates of oil consumption (and can push them into failures which wouldn't otherwise occur). Anyone else with anything to say on this?

Bellow said:
Chicken or egg?
E55BOF's 'problem' was unrelated to what was found. Begs the question, is the increased oil consumption a precursor to bent rods or a symptom of?

I have a theory which says that modern engine management systems really do not cope well with high rates of oil consumption (and can push them into failures which wouldn't otherwise occur). Anyone else with anything to say on this?

Hence the ‘just in case’ ;)

No harm in having the concern noted, if it turns out not to be an issue then absolutely nothing lost :)

So a quick update - just back from a visit to Germany & after 1748 miles the "add 1ltr on next fill up" came on again - this I thought was ok so I added a litre & made a note of the mileage...
On another note, the recently replaced (under warranty) hand brake mechanism is again not releasing correctly.....I feel another trip to the garage coming my way...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom