Oil consumption M157

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

UXAUS

Car
2013 ML63
I have a daily driver of ML 63 with M157. It runs well and I don't hammer it . It has 210km and I change the oil every 10km. I never uses oil until recently and the consumption is going up quickly. No external leaks and crankcase pressure has a very slight under (-ve) pressure I believe that is normal!

The engine runs well and idles well. What could contribute to the sudden increase in consumption? I have replaced the LHS ventilation lines (leaking at head) but havent not replaced the difficult rear RHS unit with at the back of the engine.
If it is not the crankcase ventilation, could it be the turbo leaking internally?
The chrome exhaust tips are becoming a little black quicker I have noticed.
Consumption has gone from 1L per 8000km to 1 L every 1000km.
I am using 5W40 grade ..good brand.
Your comments please.

^ That’s where I’d be looking.
Hi there,
Can you be more specific here please as I fear I may have a similar problem. I have recently suffered similar symptoms and changed the PCV Valve and after an initial improvement in the running of the engine, I think this hasn't solved the problem with the oil consumption, or the occasional juddering when the vehicle coasts at lower speeds (say below 30mph).
What do I need to look at or consider changing about the turbos ?
Thanks, David.

Hi there,
Can you be more specific here please as I fear I may have a similar problem. I have recently suffered similar symptoms and changed the PCV Valve and after an initial improvement in the running of the engine, I think this hasn't solved the problem with the oil consumption, or the occasional juddering when the vehicle coasts at lower speeds (say below 30mph).
What do I need to look at or consider changing about the turbos ?
Thanks, David.
Turbo oil seals wear on the M157 engine which is the one in question above.
That's where I would be looking on your engine too.
Changing the turbos for excessive oil consumption is drastic. It will be extremely expensive.
Get a definitive diagnosis from someone who knows your engine and see what options you have.
Maybe the turbos can be reconditioned with new oil seals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom