Oil consumption?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

c3nturi0n

Car
CLS63 Shooting Brake
I recently went through the handbook (i know... don't judge me) and noticed that oil consumption is 'normal' on AMGs. It should be topped up regularly every so often (and as per the manual).

Just checking to see what your experience is and do you top up yours?

I recently went through the handbook (i know... don't judge me) and noticed that oil consumption is 'normal' on AMGs. It should be topped up regularly every so often (and as per the manual).

I find that if i've been spending a lot of time in S+, the car needs topping up more often (i've ready similar from other owners too), which makes sense given sustained higher rpm's etc. I generally only need to put in 1/4 or 1/2 a litre but it definitely needs doing. Likewise, if i've been dawdling around in Comfort, it rarely needs a top-up.

My almost 150K M113 AMG V8 uses oil , I did keep notes on how much but gave up as it didn't really matter as it was pretty consistent so I just add a litre when the car asks for it. Which varies on use. The car is not getting much use at the moment but one litre every 5K miles was about the average.

I think the handbook states 800ml per 1000 Kilometers. If mine burnt oil at that rate I might be worried !

Is this your ML ?

Is this your ML?
CLS63 Estate

I only did 700miles since i bought it (no concerns)... just checking on your experience and whether guidance in the manual is 'accurate' :).

I think the handbook states 800ml per 1000 Kilometers. If mine burnt oil at that rate I might be worried !

This is pretty much an industry standard acceptable oil consumption rate for all makes, models and engine types ....which is of course not acceptable at all. Its nothing to do with it being OK to use that much oil......and everything to do with making you check the oil often, especially when new when engines can burn a bit, so they can get out of warranty claims when you let it run dry. VAG group diesels usually drink a bit.....but only up to about 10,000 miles.. "Did Sir read about it using a litre every 1000km before it seized solid? No.....no warranty for you then!!!" That text comes from legal and warranty depts.....not technical.

My SL55 probably uses 1/2 litre every 2k miles, but most of it leaks out of the rocker covers!

Surprisingly my diesel X5 does not need topping up between oil changes.

My ALFA just rolled over 166,000miles and its a turbo diesel............I NEVER put oil in between oil services which are usually about annually/9000 miles apart. If an old ALFA can do that I'm darn sure a £100,000 plus AMG should be able to! My wife's 60,000 mile A class is the same.......but she only does very low miles per annum.

Out of all of the cars (and motorbikes) I have had , many brand new company cars included I can honestly say I can not remember needing to top up the engine oil on any of them . This M113 AMG engine is the only one I have ever topped up on a regular basis.

Last edited:
If an old ALFA can do that I'm darn sure a £100,000 plus AMG should be able to!
Based on my two E63's, the M157 Biturbo typically uses around a litre to a litre-and-a-half between oil changes (12.5k mile intervals).

Interestingly the NA version of the engine, the M152, as in Angie's SLK55 doesn't seem to use a drop of oil even after extended high-speed runs. My guess is that the M157 burns it through the turbo's.

Based on my two E63's, the M157 Biturbo typically uses around a litre to a litre-and-a-half between oil changes (12.5k mile intervals).

Interestingly the NA version of the engine, the M152, as in Angie's SLK55 doesn't seem to use a drop of oil even after extended high-speed runs. My guess is that the M157 burns it through the turbo's.
that'd be my guess too.

for reference, i had RS6 V10 for couple years and it used about 1L over 5K miles... when serviced, some oil residues were clearly visible in pipework leading to a turbo.

Out of all of the cars (and motorbikes) I have had , many brand new company cars included I can honestly say I can not remember needing to top up the engine oil on any of them . This M113 AMG engine is the only one I have ever topped up on a regular basis.
Oh I don't know, my 25 year old SRAD will give any M113 a run for it's money in the oil consumption stakes 😅

My CLS63S is asking for 1L oil every 4k miles or so. I get oil changes at 7k miles anyway

There seems to be quite a variation between different cars. My m157 uses very little oil and when I've topped up it only needs a small amount

I’ve only really known and heard of the M113(K) with high oil use. But I think it could be the sign of a problem to be honest.

How have others with M113K engines got on with consumption? I know it varies hugely between cars. I know driving style can impact it - but even then, that’s to a limit.

Last edited:

I can honestly say the same. I've never had a vehicle including my current 43 year old bike that needed topping up between changes. It's not that oil consumption is zero just that it's so low as to be almost unmeasurable and that's how it should. I don't believe for a minute that the manufacturers design engines to burn large amounts of oil because it would have potential repercussions for the cat and emissions if they did. Some engines do burn oil, my son has a talent for buying cars that drink the stuff but that's just the luck of the draw and what the disclaimer of 0.8 litre per 1000 km is for. I'd still be appalled if mine used anything like the allowable amount. If nothing else it's an expensive habit for an engine to have.

Never topped up with oil in my C43.
Normal traffic drive my engine never burns any oil and I never check the dipsh*t.

Maybe I should start checking oil dipsh't, what ya think or should I relie on warning light in cluster ?

It’s always interesting to read about people’s oil consumption (genuinely).

It does appear to me that people have different experiences with consumption.

Due to different engines?
Very slight variations in component tolerances in addition to the engines being hand assembled?

My car has never asked for oil.
Granted, it’s not a daily runner, but even during/ after doing 2k-3k miles per Euro road trip, it didn’t ask for oil.

Never topped up with oil in my C43.
Normal traffic drive my engine never burns any oil and I never check the dipsh*t.

Maybe I should start checking oil dipsh't, what ya think or should I relie on warning light in cluster ?
Checking once in a while for peace of mind won’t harm.
Might just not drink oil 👍🏼

My 03 E55 W211 108k uses 1.5-2 ltrs between 5k mile 5w40 oil changes, no smoke on start up, or hard acceleration/deceleration, plugs looked good when I changed them, I’m keeping a very close eye on her, bit of a mystery where it’s going as I’ve done valve cover gaskets and only have a slight weep from rear main seal. My previous C5 RS6 used around the same amount in between oil changes, perhaps it’s just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom