Oil dipstick - missing something.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LXA

SUPPORTER
Car
ML500
Feel I'm missing something. 1st car I've had with the tiniest dipstick ever (or electric). Read the manual and it seems you can get this info on the dash display. Tried it and it say's "Oil level is OK". The manual also indicated I can expect to get through a litre of oil per 1000 miles. Being used to good old fashioned dipsticks for the last 40 years I like the idea of looking at a dipstick and knowing exactly how my oil is doing. What am I missing?? - As I've done 1500k in last 6 weeks should I be expecting the display to suddenly throw a "fill up now ffs!!" message at me imminently? is there someway of getting slightly more accurate measurements than "Ok" ?

Hi. Not sure on your model of car.
Oil consumption varies from model to model.
The amounts stated in the handbook is normally...." can be " or maximum.
I dont do a huge milage but i have never needed to ' top up ' between services.

Feel I'm missing something. 1st car I've had with the tiniest dipstick ever (or electric). Read the manual and it seems you can get this info on the dash display. Tried it and it say's "Oil level is OK". The manual also indicated I can expect to get through a litre of oil per 1000 miles. Being used to good old fashioned dipsticks for the last 40 years I like the idea of looking at a dipstick and knowing exactly how my oil is doing. What am I missing?? - As I've done 1500k in last 6 weeks should I be expecting the display to suddenly throw a "fill up now ffs!!" message at me imminently? is there someway of getting slightly more accurate measurements than "Ok" ?

My W203 C320 had the electronic oil level system, if your display is saying OK then do not worry, carry a litre of oil with you and check it weekly. It can tell you to add as little as 0.5 l at times plus your sump probably holds 8 litres so quite a capacity overall. Oil consumption is very much dependent on how your car has been treated in the past and how it is driven.

A dipstick is avaailable if you wish to check visually.

Reactions: LXA
Thanks gents
- it's an ML500, no idea of the actual service history but always passed mot with minimum fuss so probably not treated too badly.... and it's an ML500 (w164) .
Good to know there's a manual dipstick option, cheers.
Appreciate there's a good quantity in there but not being familiar with the electric systems just need reassuring that the next message after "ok" isn't " dry in here" halfway down the M5!! - does it actually request top-ups??

Thanks gents
- it's an ML500, no idea of the actual service history but always passed mot with minimum fuss so probably not treated too badly.... and it's an ML500 (w164) .
Good to know there's a manual dipstick option, cheers.
Appreciate there's a good quantity in there but not being familiar with the electric systems just need reassuring that the next message after "ok" isn't " dry in here" halfway down the M5!! - does it actually request top-ups??

If it falls too low it will / should request a top up but check it weekly and adjust as required and all should be well :)

You should receive a message pop up on the cluster add 0.5 litre or 1litre something like that. I had this very query with my E55K W211. I used to check the oil by way of the cluster check regular. But like you, I like to know visually on an actual dipstick. You can purchase them from eBay or other sites. They are genuine dipstick reading gauges that the fitters use in the MB workshops. They have number gauges at the end of the stick. Try and find out what your specific tolerances are fir your car. It's also good to look at the colour of oil with using the dip. The dip does not fit all the way into the tube. You will fill the bottom of the stick bottom out on the sump. Once you have found this, mark the top end of the stick then you know you are exactly the point of checking the previous time and so on. I think I paid £12.00 for mine once I checked it and was happy. I used to store the dip in the boot in a plastic sleeve I had. Unsure on your engine but you should see a little red cap. That's the engine oil tube that the technicians use to check levels.

You should receive a message pop up on the cluster add 0.5 litre or 1litre something like that. I had this very query with my E55K W211. I used to check the oil by way of the cluster check regular. But like you, I like to know visually on an actual dipstick. You can purchase them from eBay or other sites. They are genuine dipstick reading gauges that the fitters use in the MB workshops. They have number gauges at the end of the stick. Try and find out what your specific tolerances are fir your car. It's also good to look at the colour of oil with using the dip. The dip does not fit all the way into the tube. You will fill the bottom of the stick bottom out on the sump. Once you have found this, mark the top end of the stick then you know you are exactly the point of checking the previous time and so on. I think I paid £12.00 for mine once I checked it and was happy. I used to store the dip in the boot in a plastic sleeve I had. Unsure on your engine but you should see a little red cap. That's the engine oil tube that the technicians use to check levels.

In some you turned on ignition, pushed the we round reset button 3 or 5 times until voltage appears on screen at the speedo then push up button on steering wheel until oil level shows. Can’t remember what models I did this on.

In some you turned on ignition, pushed the we round reset button 3 or 5 times until voltage appears on screen at the speedo then push up button on steering wheel until oil level shows. Can’t remember what models I did this on.

This was the way in my 04 e320 .

My w203 c320 never had a dipstick and didn't even have a cap for the dipstick tube! I fashioned something out of a similarly sized cap I had lying around and put a jubilee clip loosely round it to stop it coming off.

Never had to top up oil between 10,000 mile services, but a couple of times had high oil warning shortly AFTER services and on long, steady runs on the motorway (assuming hot oil expands just enough).

A quick trip back to garage to have a thimble full removed sorted it out every time.

Wish I'd know about purchasing a new dipstick; I didn't even think about it :rolleyes:

What a dipstick!
(apologies)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom