OIL EXTRACTION PUMP ... RECOMMENDATION PLEASE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's my view that any Sludge

:eek: Sludge?!? How many hundreds of thousands of miles do you put on your engine between oil changes? I've not seen sludge since End China was clearing out a barn find that hadn't started since before I was born.
My engine is at 111k miles now and is a little overdue an oil change but I promise you there will be zero "sludge" in the engine.

Old uncared for diesels maybe, but not in a petrol, surely? o_O

If there are any build ups of anything, they'd be packed into crevices, not free floating. If they were, they'd end up in the oil filter. Never seen any sludge in any oil filter I've ever changed either tbh.

Hi i-CONICA.
However - the pump I bought from Amazon [See my post #1] was identical to yours and did not work at all (although I have now got my money back).
I guess I was just unlucky.

Maybe I dodged a bullet. I opened mine up before it's first use to see how it worked and when I saw the 3 sets of twin vanes, I squirted some 3 in 1 oil in there as I anticipated it sucking "dry" initially on first use. :confused:

:eek: Sludge?!? How many hundreds of thousands of miles do you put on your engine between oil changes? I've not seen sludge since End China was clearing out a barn find that hadn't started since before I was born.
My engine is at 111k miles now and is a little overdue an oil change but I promise you there will be zero "sludge" in the engine.

Old uncared for diesels maybe, but not in a petrol, surely?" I-CONICA

I've already said? 3k between my changes. No sludge here either. That's good then, Glad its working out for you your way :)

I use a pela 14 ltr which is handy as I can do my car and the mrs. Then straight to the tip to dispose. The first time I used I also undid the sump plug and nothing came out so that gave me the reassurance I was looking for. With the pipe in the dipstick I also tape around the top of the dipstick to create a vacuum Without this I find suction is greatly reduced. To clean I suck through with warm water and leave to dry.

Not on the Merc but on the other cars with the spin on oil filter, I put a small earth magnet on the side & on the sumps. Before the Sucky has finished I take the magnet off the sump ...not sure if it works but I feel better, I leave the magnet on the Oill filter & fit it onto the new one when its fitted.

I did this after I took my E55 to a Indie who changed the Fluid in the G/box, a few days later I dropped the pan as I had to fit an electro-plate etc & to my amazement found the original interior magnet was not there ,so I fitted theses very strong Rare earth magnets on the outside. I had seen it there before at the Indies as he was showing me the fluid etc. On top of that the heat shield for the Plug was missing, I went back to the "Indie" & he said it did not have one fitted but heres one ...hence me doing all work on the E55 from then on...I could go on as there's more but what's the point, there are some really good what I call Fitters out there but I happened across a parts changer who even got that bit wrong as he only put int 3.75 litres of G/box fluid ...thats what came out & I put back in the correct amount when I fitted the above parts , in fact I flushed it through 3 times!
Anyway I enjoy working on my & families cars ...just as well .

A big juicy interesting message was here.

deleted.

Well - That settles it for me guys.
I took delivery of the electric pump recommended by Brucemillar ... post #3.
Excellent product ... Worked first time with no hassles.
Cleanest oil change I've done in years.
I let the car stand an hour after running it
I'm pretty confident that it got it all out.
Good News !!
:)

I prefer draining, if only because I can see the plug and have an idea how the rest of the pan will look like. Not to mention the metal debris if it is a magnet-plug.
Maybe I'm lucky to have a DIY garage nearby where I can hire a 4 post ramp for a few tenners an hour, while draining I have time to remove the plastic bottom covers and inspect the brakepipes for rust, plus other hard to reach items for inspection.
Oh- the garage is heated and well lit!

Well - That settles it for me guys.
I took delivery of the electric pump recommended by Brucemillar ... post #3.
Excellent product ... Worked first time with no hassles.:)

I tried one of these too, bought form Tooltime on ebay, after a few minutes it gets quite hot and doesn't pump anything.

It's on the way back, shame as seems like a great idea.

I have read through this with interest as I always drop the under trays for an oil change.
Mine is due an oil change and today I dropped the under tray on the ML, this tray has never been removed and its a late 2012 car with full history so can be sure the dealers vac to oil.
The inside of the trays are filthy with spilt oil and dirt build up.
I will drain the oil tomorrow and lets see what comes out.

The way i look at it , Try sucking orange juice up out of a glass with a straw and see how much is left at the bottom of the glass

Now try again but this time tip the whole glass down the sink and see how much is left in the glass....... hummm

Well all done, nothing grim to report, no sludge, nothing on the sump plug.
Looking at a pump for next time for sure as the trays are not easy to get off and on.
Machine mart make a nice looking 12V job, anyone have one?

The trays are what really did it for me.
I don't have the luxury of a lift, and doing it on your own, on your back, is no longer a joke at my advanced age.
Also - Having used the sucking method - I am confident that it does the job OK.

The way i look at it , Try sucking orange juice up out of a glass with a straw and see how much is left at the bottom of the glass

Now try again but this time tip the whole glass down the sink and see how much is left in the glass....... hummm

Now try sucking the orange juice out of the glass with a pump and I bet there is no orange juice left at all.

Russ

Well all done, nothing grim to report, no sludge, nothing on the sump plug.
Looking at a pump for next time for sure as the trays are not easy to get off and on.
Machine mart make a nice looking 12V job, anyone have one?

Yes, but it's not branded by Clarke and didn't cost £32.39...otherwise it's the same pump we've been talking about for £15.99 elsewhere.

On a plus note the one I've just been told I've been sent a refund for the one I mentioned earlier.

Maybe I just got a cheap copy but it was useless!

This one looks identical to the Clarke £32.39 one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0728MWF4N/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

I bought the one from Amazon (See post #1). It was worthless.
I then bought the one recommended by Bruce Millar in post #3.
It was identical to the Amazon one, but half the overall price (!!!) ..... and it worked fine.
There's obviously a number of these around with various suppliers at a wide range of prices.
Second-time lucky for me.
To be fair to the Amazon supplier - I did get my money back including the delivery cost.
The time wasted and the ****-ache ...... Well .. That's another matter.

I’ll be doing my yearly oil and filter change (around 5,000 miles) on the clk tomorrow with a Sealy pump, as I have done for years.
Once the engine has drained I’ll have a slurp around the oil filter housing to get rid of any in there.
It’ll take me about twenty to twenty five minutes, my hands WILL get a bit oily, and I will know that the job has been done properly with synthetic oil for under fifty quid.
I pour the old oil into a proper drain can (plastic) and next time I go down the tip I’ll take it down the tip and get rid in the oil disposal tank.
What’s not to like?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom