Oil extractor pumps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
After a bit of searching finally found some decent looking ones which are not hugely expensive. For preference I would drain through the sump but for quick oil changes these seem great. Work like a garden pressure sprayer in reverse.

Should have guessed that marine engines were bound to need these.

http://www.cdet.co.uk/catalogue/pelapumps.asp

They do work Ok on hot oil but are a bit slow to empty the sump.

http://seamarknunn.co.uk/catalog/items/item2518.htm

See this link for a pump I bought to do oil changes.(12V heavy duty type). Takes only 4 minutes to suck out 7.5 litres of oil and leaves nothing in the sump. I now can do 3000 mile changes and these take only 10 minutes (including filter change) and it saves me a lot of money over the cost incurred at my local garage.

This pump has leads which connect to the power terminal under the bonnet.

Don't buy a vacuum type pump as they are too slow (20-30mins) and cost about the same and are too messy nd frustrating to use.

Buy this pump today as it is brilliant !

Last edited:
Whats wrong with using the sump plug? I'd be worried about not reaching the bottom of the sump, the bit where all the metal particles are.

Glideman said:
Whats wrong with using the sump plug? I'd be worried about not reaching the bottom of the sump, the bit where all the metal particles are.

You push the tube down into the dipstick hole and push till it hits the bottom of the sump. as there is no obsticals down there it should be a easy :D

Benzy, how long are the power lines? will it reach the boot?

Good find :)

Regards,

Peter

The power leads are about 0.5 metres and will not reach the boot.

You could do what I used to do, that is, connect the leads to a 12V DC battery charger via an extension lead or you can rig up a cigarette lighter connection by buying a connector from Halfords and 4 metres of 12V wire.

The pump sucks up any metal particles whilst the oil is hot as the particles are in suspension. You get very few particles these days with modern engines. Also, there's no guarantee that the sump method will drain all metal particles anyway.

Sealy do one for about £60 Works on vacuum holds about 7 litres. Had it 2 years no problems with hot oil etc. Doesn't take more than about 2-3 minutes to drain 5 litres and no electrical supply required.

PS. The Sealy looks exactly the same as the Pela 650 in the first post by Satch. If it is I can recommmend it no problem. :) :)

Thanks for the input. I have ordered the upright one that holds 6 litres. E class requires undershield to be dropped and Land Cruiser has sump guard fitted which makes life difficult so pumping out is by far the better option.

Both are turbo diesels and it seem to me that intermediate oil changes at 5/6000 miles or so are wise. No matter what oil makers might suggest, whilst better than conventional oils, synthetics are not invulnerable to heat stress and thermal breakdown

The Land Cruiser handbook specifies a minimum two minute idling period after use at more than 60 mph or heavy off road use to avoid cooking off oil in the turbo spindle and drain holes.

No similar requirement for the E class which I find odd, but I always let it idle for a while before switching off after a fast run

Satch said:
Thanks for the input. I have ordered the upright one that holds 6 litres.
Both are turbo diesels

I hope the pump you have chosen will be big enough to hold a turbo diesel's oil. My TD holds 7.5 L and you are saying you have ordered the 6L version.

benzy said:
I hope the pump you have chosen will be big enough to hold a turbo diesel's oil. My TD holds 7.5 L and you are saying you have ordered the 6L version.

Indeed. However the next size up was getting rather big!

grasmere, could you post that link again for the 6 litre "oil sucker" you bought, I looked at it a few days ago and it was fine, now i have decided to order one it is not showing anything and I can`t find it through the shop`s website either.

Thanks kel

hmmm - strange that the link stopped working,

its still there though, on the site www.compass24.com do a search for vacutank and there it is ;)

otherwise you'll find it under boatcare then accessories ;)

Yup got it now, thanks ever so

kel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom