Oil extractor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bri

Car
2008 Mercedes E220 est Sold ! 2011 E350 est Sold ! 2018 E220 est Premium package
Hi thinking of buying a oil extractor pump to do mid service oil change on my E220.
Can anyone give me any advice, I have seen them from as little as £20 up to £60 what's the difference ?. Anyone got any tips on using one.
I'm I right in thinking I need a 6 litre for my E class.
Anyone who has used one let me know what you think of it.
:confused:

TBH I am not big fan of oil extractors, I would admit that I never used one as well.
I still believe that not all oil will extracted and some will be still left in sump.
I prefer drain method, but it is only my opinion.

The ones made by Pela are good - or their clones. Ship chandlers often stock them- used for draining onboard engines= impossible to drain the sump. Everyone to their own- its how the main dealers remove the oil with full MB approval. Only time I would hesitate is on a car that had its oil services neglected and sludge had been allowed to accumulate in the sump. Otherwise its fine people have done experiments they DO remove all the sump oil----- plus some folks use them to remove the oil filter bowl residue also.

Pela 6000 Oil Extractor Pump has a 6 litre capacity I believe. I have one of these which is a rebadged PELA http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000RA16CO/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

PS You don't require the full sump capacity- just requires emptying the unit twice instead of once.

I am a very big fan of the Pela oil extractor..
I have been using one for over 12 years now on over a dozen different cars..
You can suck out the oil filter housing (with filter removed).
They make the job FAR easier to do..
My C270 cdi held 6.5 litres and it removed 6.5 litres every time..
Not had my W211 long enough to tell you how much it removes on this particular car...
Never had a single issue with using one..
Highly recommended.

I pump mine out and as Grober said, MB do the same and BMW have done this for at least 20 years.

I think mine is a Sealey 9.5ltr. I'm certain all of the oil comes out.
Get engine up to operating temperature and leave for 10 minutes.
Draw out oil through the dipstick tube and then clear out the oil filter chamber.
Return after 20-30 minutes (longer if you wish) to get out the remaining oil that has slid down the sump walls.

On my previous Sprinter (170k) 320CDI (150K) and current Vito (75k) I could change the oil and check it 300 miles later and it was still the original colour.

I look out for premium oil at bargain prices and then stock up and change the oil every 4-6k.

I had to buy one for the smart (no sump plug) - I got the pela 6000... comments:
- it's slow. Much faster to remove the sump plug!
- it's clean. Last time I changed the oil, I didn't get a single drop of oil anywhere,...

I would still drain the oil from the sump plug once a year... but as I need to do a monthly oil change (I do 3000 miles a month -ish) this saves quite a bit of hassle...

M

I had to buy one for the smart (no sump plug) - I got the pela 6000... comments:
- it's slow. Much faster to remove the sump plug!

I use one too, it came with two tubes of slightly different diameters. I used the smaller of the two once by mistake, and it was painfully slow. The larger tube, which still fits down the dipstick tube has all the oil out in no time.

Russ

I would not have thought the oil needs changing every 3000 miles Spinal.

Maybe it's a familiarity thing, but for the short time taken to drive onto Halfords type ramps, put a bucket under the engine and remove the sump plug I can't see the point of pump extracction. A large flattened cardboard box to lie on, decent latex gloves and a sump plug copper washer and you're there. And I'm no longer as supple as I was by a long way. You're only under for 5 minutes maximum, but you do also have the chance of a general inspection to spot other issues which you would never see if only pumping out. Simply good maintenance practice.

+1 for the extractor - quick and clean, and seems to get all of the oil - I have a Pela, which always needs to be emptied before all of the oil is removed, so the bigger the better.

Only advice is to make sure the engine is fully warmed up.

I have a pela oil extractor and as mentioned its great does make the job easy/ less messy and its really handy for removing oil out of the oil filter housing etc. I tend to do a bit of both depends what car I'm working on both our VWs have undertrays which are a git to remove and put back properly so the extractor is great for this. My friends mondeo on the other hand I drain it via the sump. Its a useful tool to have in your ****nal.

Maybe it's a familiarity thing, but for the short time taken to drive onto Halfords type ramps, put a bucket under the engine and remove the sump plug I can't see the point of pump extracction. A large flattened cardboard box to lie on, decent latex gloves and a sump plug copper washer and you're there. And I'm no longer as supple as I was by a long way. You're only under for 5 minutes maximum, but you do also have the chance of a general inspection to spot other issues which you would never see if only pumping out. Simply good maintenance practice.

Been there and done it many times, bought an oil extractor and no way am I ever lying under the car again! :thumb:

Russ

One tip. Make sure the engine is hot. A 20 min drive is normally enough.

Thanks all

Well many thanks to all for advice, I would say 90% of you are in favour of the oil extractor.
That's good enough for me, one on the way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom